Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've sold many SSDs (at my old job) and had 6 or 7 personal friends (including my father who is a unix admin) who bought an SSD, and they ALL failed within 6 months for one reason or another. Different brands (Intel, Samsung, Pro series, etc.), sizes, usage scenarios... I won't own an SSD because of the failure rate I've personally seen. Sure they have like 10 year warranties but... not worth the hassle in my eyes. To be fair, I haven't heard of any of them having trouble since mid 2015'ish... so maybe they are more reliable now?

Oh yes, and maybe no -mechanical- failures, BUT once the cells/controller dies, there is NO WAY to recover the data (Short of CIA methods :P )
This is very interesting. I currently own 10 SSDs, various sizes and brands, and I haven't had a single one fail. The oldest being 3 years old. I wonder what the difference between your father's experience and mine is? Dumb luck? I honestly would love to be able to dig deeper into this. I do know people who have had one that failed as well but they were off brand and cheaply built.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once had the IDE variant of the Hitachi Deskstar(or Deathstar)that I salvaged from a friends rig. It lasted all of 2 days before a silent death without even so much as a click.:wtf:

Never again I tell you.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I just bought the Kingston HyperX Predator 240 GB PCI-E 2.0 4x SSD, and I have to say that it SCREAMS with performance. It is the single best upgrade that I have ever done to my computer. Windows boots up in less than 15 seconds and every application is open before I release my finger from the mouse button. I have decided to redirect My Documents folder to another drive to prevent constantly writing to the drive with my downloads and other stuff. I will keep this SSD for just the OS and applications.

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think i'll get one then, sounds like a lot of money wasted if it fails

HDDs need to last 5 years atleast for me to want to get it, also if i have a new fast pc then ssd speed wont be too big a deal

i want a intel core i7 6700k
Geforce GTX 980
Corsair 16gb ddr4
asus z170 motherboard
x2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Yes, we are way off topic here. But, if you are honestly saying that because you will have fast components in your PC, an SSD is not needed, then you are absolutely wrong! The performance gain from an SSD to an HDD is huge! What you are saying is, "Since I have a Lamborghini, and it has ton of horse power and is super fast, I don't need a straight, flat road to drive on." The SSD works best with a high end PC, anything less will lower the performance of your high end parts. Now, if you were saying, since I have a core i3, gtx 660ti, 4gb ram, then an HDD could be a more reasonable drive for your system. If you need redundancy back up for fear of a failure (which is prone to every type of storage medium); like others said, just do a cloud or local drive backup once in a while.

TL;DR - The more powerful your system - The more performance/value you get out of an SSD!

Reactions: Plunt

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to stay on 5.5.0, would there be any issue when the iosu exploit comes out. I know there's no need to stay on 5.5.0, but would I be at a disadvantage/Would the Hacking process be different in anyway, or would it be the same for 5.5.0 as it would 5.5.1?

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to stay on 5.5.0, would there be any issue when the iosu exploit comes out. I know there's no need to stay on 5.5.0, but would I be at a disadvantage/Would the Hacking process be different in anyway, or would it be the same for 5.5.0 as it would 5.5.1?

5.5 has more entrypoints whereas 5.5.1 ONLY has the .mp4 entrypoint

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
These must have been really shitty ones or whatever. I have a SSD since 5 Years and not ones the SSD failed on me.

I bought a cheap ass Crucial M4 256GB like 5 years ago and have abused the crap outta it doing video editing everyday. Thought I wouldve used up the limited number of writes by now but still going. It was like $150 too, a similar sized SSD nowadays is like half that when I do need to replace it.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.5 has more entrypoints whereas 5.5.1 ONLY has the .mp4 entrypoint

I know you urged not to update to 5.5.1, as long as there's a working entry point, I really don't care. My WiiU has had no power for over a month and I've been dying to play Mario Maker and Splatoon. :/

Plus, Smea is focusing on 5.5.1, isn't he?

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thought I wouldve used up the limited number of writes by now but still going.
Even if you go over the limit it's not like they entirley break they still will work. Worse thing that could happen is that certain "blocks" don't work anymore (SSD are basically like much better SD Cards) and the Space left on them gets smaller or if you are really unlucky the Controller Board breaks :)
Really dunno what happened in SonyUSA's case.

Last edited by nIxx,

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I know you urged not to update to 5.5.1, as long as there's a working entry point, I really don't care. My WiiU has had no power for over a month and I've been dying to play Mario Maker and Splatoon. :/

Plus, Smea is focusing on 5.5.1, isn't he?
You don't really need more than 1 entry exploit, and the one on 5.5.1 is the most stable one right now.
I mean, there are less entry points on 5.5.1, but having only 1 is enough.

Reactions: Selim873

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My trusty 1TB WD passport carries over 100 blu-ray quality movies and a bunch of wii games/homebrew/emulators.
I highly recommend the drive.

If you actually read the past few posts. You would understand my post was towards users who were scared of ssd's. Because of failures. Nice try at being a sarcastic asshole though.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Btw back on topic: Someone said the actually exploit + some 5.3 and 3.3 stuff is done

Hykem just has to work on some more 3.3 and he'll post it all soon, not sure how true this is

I think he can still deliver before february, this is interesting, im waiting on league ranked AND this, which will relase first

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Btw back on topic: Someone said the actually exploit + some 5.3 and 3.3 stuff is done

Hykem just has to work on some more 3.3 and he'll post it all soon, not sure how true this is

I think he can still deliver before february, this is interesting, im waiting on league ranked AND this, which will relase first
I thought it was said that 5.3.2 needs porting still hence the why it's taking longer than expected

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did people getting IOSU exploit will be released before February from? Is this latest news from Hykem somewhere or just based on past statement? Seem to be another way of hype today, which I can't understand where it came from.

With IOSU exploit, will the homebrew developers have to rewrite most code of the app or just port like kexploit? Excuse me for my noobness. I think porting means less rewriting code. Not sure whether it's correct.

Last edited by tivu100,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bad guy that got arrested for abusing bug extermination
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Custom firmware for ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i dont think i have evilnat, i only have ps3hen, multiman and webman
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it would be ps3HEN, those others are apps, kinda
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I forget what I had to do to get a 2tb HD to work on ps3, but only use 1.5tb. I think I used WD format tool, been so long, you know kennyboy?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Put your duck in the slit and press the insert button
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that worked, thanks!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, wut the heck
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just format it to ntfs or fat32 I don't remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh when you put it in the ps3, it asks to format I thought. I just look it up when I get the new hd.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sorry but i cant join the conversation despite having a ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Run it in safe mode
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never knew linksys was owned under foxconn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Evilnat is custom firmware for PS3, ofc.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I used to have Rebug on there, but I didn't like how they weren't pushing a lot of updates.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why update something a small percent cares about
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm mostly upgrading his hd, he has a 120gb in it now, lol, gonna give him a 2tb (1.5tb), not sure if he has it cfw or not, i haven't even turned it on yet. Ill mess w it tomorrow, I'm busy killing clowns right now.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is he paying you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I told him not worried bout it, but he paying for the new HD. He will prob buy me a case ole beer, or a sack for doing it.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you guys rather never eat cake again (in general) or nevee eat ice cream again (in general)?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, im staying with ps3hen
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about ice cream cake?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, So old-skool.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3HEN is fine, don't mess with what's not broken. The HEN version irc is for the super Slims, and CFW (evilnat) for other models
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also what are the differences with ps3hen and evilnat?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, also what are the differences with ps3hen and evilnat?