Not open for further replies.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
WUD is the format for scene releases.

SSDs are pretty good nowadays but they're still expensive and don't come in big capacities like regular HDDs.

im thinking of getting a new pc soon is 500gb samsung evo SSD worth £116 atm

3 years is hella short, ive never ever had a hard drive fail on me, that much isnt worth it for 3 years imo

avinashlego

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im thinking of getting a new pc soon is 500gb samsung evo SSD worth £116 atm

3 years is hella short, ive never ever had a hard drive fail on me, that much isnt worth it for 3 years imo

There are much much cheaper SATAs on ebay. I've seen seagate barracuda 750gb NEW for $10.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Excuse moi?Manners, if u please.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
3 year lifespan? thats short, so SSDs still dont last as long as HDDs?

Its more that SSDs are largely found in high end desktops/laptops that are frequently replaced or in small form factor devices which generally end up with relatively short life due to heat and/or non-user replacable batteries.

SSDs still have a shorter write life than normal disks yes. That's unlikely to change in absolute terms but it'll likely reach the point where its irrelevant to nearly all users. SSDs are also less susceptible to mechanical failures due to lack of moving parts. So its something of a trade off there.

The "real" lifetime of an SSD is hard to say since its highly dependent on use patterns.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Its more that SSDs are largely found in high end desktops/laptops that are frequently replaced or in small form factor devices which generally end up with relatively short life due to heat and/or non-user replacable batteries.

SSDs still have a shorter write life than normal disks yes. That's unlikely to change in absolute terms but it'll likely reach the point where its irrelevant to nearly all users. SSDs are also less susceptible to mechanical failures due to lack of moving parts. So its something of a trade off there.

The "real" lifetime of an SSD is hard to say since its highly dependent on use patterns.

Whats the average for most people

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had two 128mb Crucial SSD when my power supply went out and now either of them work anymore. messed up the boot sectors I guess.
I tried everything updating the SSD firmware, numerous SSD apps that are supposed to fix those issues, but nothing worked. I love the how much faster they are, but they do have a downfall.

Reactions: SonyUSA

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the average for most people

I've sold many SSDs (at my old job) and had 6 or 7 personal friends (including my father who is a unix admin) who bought an SSD, and they ALL failed within 6 months for one reason or another. Different brands (Intel, Samsung, Pro series, etc.), sizes, usage scenarios... I won't own an SSD because of the failure rate I've personally seen. Sure they have like 10 year warranties but... not worth the hassle in my eyes. To be fair, I haven't heard of any of them having trouble since mid 2015'ish... so maybe they are more reliable now?

Oh yes, and maybe no -mechanical- failures, BUT once the cells/controller dies, there is NO WAY to recover the data (Short of CIA methods :P )

Last edited by SonyUSA,

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
I had two 128mb Crucial SSD when my power supply went out and now either of them work anymore. messed up the boot sectors I guess.
I tried everything updating the SSD firmware, numerous SSD apps that are supposed to fix those issues, but nothing worked. I love the how much faster they are, but they do have a downfall.

I've sold many SSDs (at my old job) and had 6 or 7 personal friends (including my father who is a unix admin) who bought an SSD, and they ALL failed within 6 months for one reason or another. Different brands (Intel, Samsung, Pro series, etc.), sizes, usage scenarios... I won't own an SSD because of the failure rate I've personally seen. Sure they have like 10 year warranties but... not worth the hassle in my eyes. To be fair, I haven't heard of any of them having trouble since mid 2015'ish... so maybe they are more reliable now?

I don't think i'll get one then, sounds like a lot of money wasted if it fails

HDDs need to last 5 years atleast for me to want to get it, also if i have a new fast pc then ssd speed wont be too big a deal

i want a intel core i7 6700k
Geforce GTX 980
Corsair 16gb ddr4
asus z170 motherboard
x2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Last edited by Miles54321,

narutonic

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think i'll get one then, sounds like a lot of money wasted if it fails

HDDs need to last 5 years atleast for me to want to get it, also if i have a new fast pc then ssd speed wont be too big a deal

i want a intel core i7 6700k
Geforce GTX 980
Corsair 16gb ddr4
asus z170 motherboard
x2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Personally i would go with I7 5820K

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh yes, and maybe no -mechanical- failures, BUT once the cells/controller dies, there is NO WAY to recover the data (Short of CIA methods :P )
I have three at home for 3 years with no failures. 2x Crucial and 1x Samsung. As far as data recovery goes if you're not backing up online then you're asking for a hard drive failure. That's true for SSD and spinning drives as well!

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its unlikely you will have issues with an SSD in a PC over its ~3 year lifespan. Its been several years since write limits on SSDs were a practical concern for most users.

For something like ISO loading you basically shouldn't have issues at all. SSDs are primarily write limited not read, so unless you're continuously writing files to it, it should last ages.

That of course assumes the system you're using has proper support for SSDs (trim etc) though.

Which the WiiU doesn't. :)

narutonic

Trophies
XP
Country
France
but aint the i7 6700k the best for gaming atm?

5820K have 6Cores , IMO it will be the "reference" for year.
If in a near futur game better use the Multithreads you would'nt have to change your cpu for a moment.

I7 6700K is pointeless better go with 5820K and a good cooler or with a 4770K

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao. a mod is gna have a shitstorm on these last couple pages :P If he has to remind the thread a third time to stay on topic i feel like he might put us in the time out corner, detention, or maybe even GROUND US!!!!! AHHGHGHGHHH!

avinashlego

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread should just be renamed. It's the best solution, so that the mods don't bother us no more about being "offtopic and such".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ2FRVQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had this drive, 64gb version, since October 2014. It's used for my Wii U games only. Haven't had a problem with it

My trusty 1TB WD passport carries over 100 blu-ray quality movies and a bunch of wii games/homebrew/emulators.
I highly recommend the drive.

Reactions: codychaosx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, sorry i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin