Homebrew Humble Bundle and DS programming

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this Humble Bundle thing recently, it seems to have a lot of value. I'm curious to know if I should pick it up if I'm interested in DS(i) programming (or programming in general I guess), or if I should use something less conventional.
The price is certainly attractive, however I would think you might want something that's a little more focused on the basics of C/C++ and more in the way of embedded-side (meaning you're down closer to the hardware rather than abstracted at a higher level - most of this stuff looks like runs runs under various frameworks under Windows/Linux). The C++ course looks fine but is only 1 hour and, well... it's gonna need more than that IMO :)

In short - it's probably all good stuff but maybe not a great fit for what you're trying to accomplish.

Just my humble (bundle) opinion.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saw this which might be a better way to really get into programming in general:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/learn-you-more-code-no-starch-press-books

The Effective C book is great as are the Write Great Code series (the first book gets down to a fairly low level - something right at home with DS programming).

I don't know on the other books - but it's a lot of info for $18.

With this information digested, I would think you could take an existing DS program and understand it well enough to rip it apart and rebuild what you want.

But that's a big commitment of reading... whereas the original bundle you mentioned was more video-tutorial based and that works better for some people.

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just saw this which might be a better way to really get into programming in general:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/learn-you-more-code-no-starch-press-books

The Effective C book is great as are the Write Great Code series (the first book gets down to a fairly low level - something right at home with DS programming).

I don't know on the other books - but it's a lot of info for $18.

With this information digested, I would think you could take an existing DS program and understand it well enough to rip it apart and rebuild what you want.

But that's a big commitment of reading... whereas the original bundle you mentioned was more video-tutorial based and that works better for some people.
Bought it and downloaded the ePUBs, I hope I can put them to good use! Thanks for the suggestion :lol:
Edit: Do you have any further suggestions on reading these? Like which book(s) I should read first or how I should approach it

Last edited by banjo2,
Reactions: wavemotion

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd start with Effective C and then the first book of Write Great Code and see where that takes you. That's plenty to digest for a month or three!

Reactions: banjo2

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd start with Effective C and then the first book of Write Great Code and see where that takes you. That's plenty to digest for a month or three!
Yeah, my advice would be to stick to c or c++ as well.
Funny thing that I started today to read a c book.

I plan to also tackle Wii and ds programming soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...