Hardware Huge DVD Burner Problems - Need help ASAP!

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hmm... I have no idea, but they looked like the cables were connected. :\ And now for some reason, it seems like my regular CD drive doesn't work properly either. Damn... the thing I feared would happen happened.

I checked my computer in the hardware manager, and it recognizes the dvd burner.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... I have no idea, but they looked like the cables were connected. :\ And now for some reason, it seems like my regular CD drive doesn't work properly either. Damn... the thing I feared would happen happened.

I checked my computer in the hardware manager, and it recognizes the dvd burner.

I reckon you have them both on master. Most dvd writers I've seen come with the jumper on master and if the other drive was on a cable by itself , it's probably on master aswell.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you need to identify if the jumpers at the back of the drive are set correctly, if you plugged it in without checking that might explain why your drive is seen but unable to be used

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
No, the other cable wasn't by itself. It was like... split.

Here's a crappy diagram (side view)

|-Original CD/DVD READER-| -
| White plug
|-NEW DVD BURNER|-----------

And then the there's like three joined colored plugs.... those are joined for both as well.

Well, I don't understand what I'm supposed to check. Man, why is this so freaking complicated!? Im stressing out... this can't be so hard! I just want to BURN A DAMN DVD.

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Try to avoid double posting.
happy.gif
- Ace

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's because both your drives have the plugs in a similar fashion as to why it isn't working correctly. One needs to be changed in order for you to use both. It should say on the device somewhere C S M or something like that, with how the plugs (jumpers) fit. You need to set one of them, to Slave or Cable Select for the device to work

if it helps, take a picture so the others can see. it's frustrating for you i guess, when all you want to do is burn something, but you only have to do this once and then you can burn as you want

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems like someone needs a little drinky, want a Baileys? (+10 points if you know the Old Greg song by heart).

Rule 1 for working on computer hardware, stay calm. You'll get plenty frustrated if you do more complicated things to computers, dont worry
smile.gif

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you intend to take pics, take it of the

1. the DVD drive((the one you just bought) from the back where the plugs are)

2. behind the cd/dvd drive that you had already installed from the same view as in the previous one.

from there i can tell you how to get them both working.. Good luck!

Oh and take a pic of the motherboard too

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Okay, I'm back. Now, I THINK I got it working.

What I did is the following:

-I removed both drives.
-I placed the new one where the old one was.
-I placed the exact same plugs as the old one the exact same way that the old one had them placed but on the NEW one.

So far, I tested it as a CD Drive, and it works perfect, which it didn't even read a CD before. Testing it even further as we speak

I was really hoping to have both my drives installed (the new and the old), but now that I think about it, I really don't need the old one, seeing as it was only a CD/DVD reader, and the new one should work as a reader AND writter for both.

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm back. Now, I THINK I got it working.

What I did is the following:

-I removed both drives.
-I placed the new one where the old one was.
-I placed the exact same plugs as the old one the exact same way that the old one had them placed but on the NEW one.

So far, I tested it as a CD Drive, and it works perfect, which it didn't even read a CD before. Testing it even further as we speak

I was really hoping to have both my drives installed (the new and the old), but now that I think about it, I really don't need the old one, seeing as it was only a CD/DVD reader, and the new one should work as a reader AND writter for both.

If you want them both working you know where too look
smile.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Ohmygosh, I think it really works! I put in a blank CD, went to iTunes, and immediately a pop up came up that said I had a blank disc inserted, and told me how to burn it! I didn't try burning, but I knoew for sure it works because that pop up had NEVER come up before when I put in a blank CD. It would just basically be ignored.
biggrin.gif

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ohmygosh, I think it really works! I put in a blank CD, went to iTunes, and immediately a pop up came up that said I had a blank disc inserted, and told me how to burn it! I didn't try burning, but I knoew for sure it works because that pop up had NEVER come up before when I put in a blank CD. It would just basically be ignored.
biggrin.gif

Congrats
grog.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thank you SO much to each one of you guys that helped me out with this! I definitely could NOT have done this without you. I would have thought this was an external drive still >___> Thanks SO MUCH AGAIN! I love you all

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
, now you can stop stressing
laugh.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well it sounds like it's working, though i'm curious what your new drive is set to, as most drives do not use the same number of jumpers or positions as one another. but if it works, it works - a final test will be burning successfully. you should also update your drives firmware when you get the chance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in