Huge DVD Burner Problems - Need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by War, Nov 28, 2007.

Nov 28, 2007
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Okay guys, here's the story. I ordered this DVD Burner from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...36117&Tpk=H55NK

It arrived today, but I noticed a problem. IN the box, I only got the burner and a CD. Now the problem comes here: First of all, I can't tell (because I can't find it anywhere on the info site) whether its internal or external. I called LG for help, and the guy said that it's internal.

The thing is.... if it's internal, I'm screwed, because I'm not good with computer hardware at all, and I guess I could try, but it would be very hard. Not only that, but for some reason, I put the DVD Drive right next to my empty drive slot in my computer, and in my eyes, it looks like the burner is too big. :\

The other problem is, if it's EXTRERNAL, I'm effed as well, because... it came with no cords! So I don't have either the power cord OR the usb plug.

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension E310. Help me, PLEASE!

2. mekaxero

Member mekaxero I am the alpha, and the omega

United States
    it is an internal drive. It should be the same size as our current cd/dvd drive.

if you have one slot that is open, and it looksto small, that might be because it is a 3.5" slot instead of a 5.25" slot. 3.5"slots are for floppy/zip/hard drives, and 5.25" are for cd/dvd drives. If there are no open 5.25" drives, then you might just have to take out your old cd/dvd drive, and put this one in its place.

3. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    it'well to answer your first question, it IS an internal drive. the bezel (front part of the drive) may stick out a little when you insert it, but that shouldn't be too bad, it should still fit fairly well into the case.

You haven't done this before, and I';m sure we could guide you through it, but I would suggest that you find a friend that can install the device for you. It's really not that hard, you just need to know hat you're looking at and how things connect

4. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    My friends know NOTHING about computers, so I need to do this myself. Unless you guys cna point me to something in NewEgg that is the exact same price or lower and is an external drive. :\

Otherwise, can someone start guiding me through it? The "open drive" I mentioned doesn not look like a floppy drive. I'll go measure it right now and edit this.

EDIT: Yeah, it's 5 1/2

5. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    It looks an internal dvd drive to me as well. They are pretty easy to fit. Just make sure the jumper at the back is set correctly. I'm lazy and always put it on c-select.

6. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...s=22&l=en&s=dfh.

This be pc?. Definitly has an open 5.25" slot. I'd say easiest way for someone who hasn't done it before , would be to just open the case , unplug the current dvd drive and slide it out , and slide the new one in and hook it up.

Not having to mess around on the motherboard side , no having to look for the ide ports , just a striaght swap , then job done.

7. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I hope I won't have to buy any extra cables or anything to do this... my mom will literally kill me. :[

EDIT: Yes Dillo, that's it. I really don't want to unplug my old CD drive in case anything goes wrong... but I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna need a new IPD cord if I wanna keep my old CD drive AND this new CD/DVD drive...

8. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    turn off your computer and unplug it from the back before you open it up and start digging in there. like has already been said, just unplug the existing cable from your old dvd rom drive and replace it with the new one - make sure at the back the jumpers are correctly set to either master or slave.

9. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    My old drive isn't a DVD drive. It just recognizes CD/DVD, but doesn't burn either. How far in is the IPD plug thing?

10. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    The ide cable and power cable are on the back on the drive. Can't miss em.

11. JimmyJangles

Newcomer JimmyJangles Advanced Member

United States
    If you can't get it to work inside the pc, they also sell external drive enclosures which basically let you use an internal drive as an external USB drive. Granted, that would cost an extra $20-30.

So far I've only done something like this with hard drives, so I'm not too familiar with dvd drives, but I would assume they work the same way.

12. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hmm.... I guess I;ll try it. I'm just REALLY scared I'll mess up something and end up without my new drive OR the old one. /cry

13. Armadillo

United Kingdom

You can't really mess up changing a cable over. They both only go one way round. [​IMG]

14. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Same thing with my new DVD burner. Since I don't have extra cables, I had to attach the power and some other cord from my old DVD drive :S So one of my bays is just a dead drive

15. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Trust me. Computers are so idiotproof these days that you couldn't mess up a thing.

16. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    When you take the old drive out, look at the label and see if it shows what the jumper settings are. Jumpers are tiny little plastic doodads that go over 2 little metal pins, basically acting like a switch. They are on the back, with the cable connectors.

You want to see if the old drive was set to master, slave, or cable select. Set the new drive to the same mode (the jumpers will probably go in different places, it's not standardised), then plug the cables in to the new drive.

The drives go in and come out through the front of the system BTW. I figured that out the hard way the first time I installed a drive without instructions or guidance.

17. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Okay, I actually got it installed and everything. There was an extra set of plugs inside the computer, so I set the DVD Burner right under my original drive, and set up exactly like the original drive. Everything going fine so far.

Now, I started up my comp. It said new hardware found, great! I waited until it finished installing, and then inserted a CD to try and test it... Nothing happened. I opened iTunes, clicked on burn disc, and it said that the disc burning hardware/CD was not found... Did I install it wrong or something?

18. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    it could be a jumper issue, do you know whether or not you set it master or slave or cable select?

19. JimmyJangles

Newcomer JimmyJangles Advanced Member

United States
    Not on a Dell, or at least not on all Dells. On my Dell computer nothing can be taken out the front.

Still, it's generally pretty obvious which way something will come out of the computer. If you ever have to use excessive force with anything then that's probably not the right way to do it.

20. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Hey War, wish I were on sooner to help you out with this

Did you get the jumpers identified yet?

EDIT: My Cell is on/AIM if you need help still

second link