HTPC + USB + Wii - Need some help

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jheredia, Dec 10, 2009.

Dec 10, 2009
  1. jheredia
    OP

Newcomer jheredia Member

United States
    Ok so I have one big (1.5tb) hard drive. I'm currently using it connected to a HTPC, connected to a TV for movies/shows/music

I plan on partitioning it for the wii (probably FAT and use Configurable USB Loader). Is there a way I can have the same hard drive used for both the wii and the HTPC (without switching the wire every time)? Is there a way to for the wii to read games through the PC to the USB drive? Any other solution?

I know there is mplayer CE and geexbox, but they are obviously very early in development - no coverart, difficult browsing and controls. Any ideas guys? I'm willing to change around my setup if I need to.

Thanks!!

2. whatup777

Member whatup777 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    partition your drive (look up how to on google) so like 1TB for media 500GB WBFS for games.

3. jheredia
    OP

Newcomer jheredia Member

United States
    right thats the plan. but how do i use the same external hard drive with the wii and pc, without having to switch the wire constantly?

4. whatup777

Member whatup777 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I dont know if thats possible (might be) look up on google.

5. jheredia
    OP

Newcomer jheredia Member

United States
    i obviously googled first. I came here since this is probably a common setup for a good amount of people and would be most able to help.

anyone?

6. jheredia
    OP

Newcomer jheredia Member

United States
    as an add-on to the all of the above questions: Is it possible to load games through a PC - maybe with a USB-USB wire?

7. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    ? This was answered several times already. USB-to-USB Wires are useless, do eventually even damage to the Device, and will NEVER work with the Wii via SoftMod.

If you want something like this, spend some money on FlatMii, or forget it.

8. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    It's not possible.
    There is no such thing as a usb-usb wire [​IMG]
    There are usb-ethernet-usb wires which basically turns the usb to a network connection.
    And there are a few actual usb-a - usb-a wires which can fry both connected usb ports and components.
    more info:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248/1

You can try a usb-switch.

9. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Use 2 spare USB cables and a switch for 4 wires (because there are 4 wires in a USB cable). Solder them together so that you connect the pc with the drive on one setting and the Wii with the drive on the other setting. It's very simple if you soldered before and just costs maybe 3€.
    Works great, I'm using it for my hdd connected to Xbox360 and Wii but with a switch with one setting more to power the drive down (as Wii and Xbox360 power the drive even when they are turned of).