HTC's Vive Pro Headset Available To Pre-Order

vive pro.JPG

Announced earlier this year, the HTC Vive Pro headset is now ready to pre-order globally. The HMD costs $799 and is set to ship come April 5th.

This upgraded device boasts a resolution of 2880x1600, built-in headphones with 3D audio and noise cancelling features, an outward facing camera and a redesigned strap to comfortably fit around your head.

To mark the start of a new generation of HTC HMD, the original Vive bundle, which packs the controllers, base stations and other accessories, has received a price cut of $100 and now costs $499.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Xzi

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
$800? Yikes... On top of that, if you're not upgrading you need to factor in the lighthouses and controllers too. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Although it's technically inferior, it makes the PSVR look even more appealing for an entry into VR gaming .

Edit: £799 (£1122) in the UK LOL. Outrageous!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just for reference, the Pimax 5K Early Bird pledge was $350. The Pimax 8K Early Bird was $450. Both have much greater FoV than Vive Pro, and the 8K has higher resolution.

I'm not sure how much Pimax HMDs are going to sell for on the mass market, but I'd bet no more than $600 for 8K.

Last edited by Xzi,

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah agree way to expensive.
Basicly i would maybe get a mixed VR from acer, you can get em sometimes for 350€ but it works only with Windows 10 and so its out.
The Rift and normal Vive are still to bad and pricewise still not cheap.
Samsung Odyssey seems not bad either but same problem mixed VR Windows 10 only.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
s
Now to wait for old secondhand Vive headsets to become cheap as fuck so I can buy one without spending tons of money.
Problem is that those people will be selling an older headset without the lighthouse boxes and controllers seeing as they're selling these for a Thousand bucks without those

chrisman02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, the original complete package is at $500? Might need to save up for that. Compared to other hobbies that isn't TOO bad, but I need to save for projects around the house first.

Must be a responsible adult....

However not being wireless is a dealbreaker. My office isn't big enough, would love to keep my PC in my office and use the Vive in the living room.

nightking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$999 - VIVE Pro HMD only*
*With limited time offer of 6-month VIVEPORT Subscription.
**VIVE Pro HMD does not include controllers, base stations or VIVE wireless adapter.

No thanks. Was expecting $299 or $399 for HMD only.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it were $300 cheaper I'd be tempted but it's still expensive considering you can get a Samsung Odyssey with the same resolution for around $500. But that HMD doesn't use Valve's tracking and their controllers can't be tracked as well behind the headset. I imagine the Vive Pro bundle with Gen 2 lighthouses and controllers will be over $1100 at least.

Not a bad time to buy a Rift or original Vive though.

pretty stupid move. Who wants 1600p? I can understand 16:10 for a monitor but not sure about why you would put on in a vive.

The resolution boost still helps the screen door effect and text readability. More than any supersampling could on a regular Vive. I believe the screens are still the same size too. It's really the only good reason to buy this over a regular Vive and the deluxe headstrap.

However not being wireless is a dealbreaker. My office isn't big enough, would love to keep my PC in my office and use the Vive in the living room.

They're releasing a wireless adapter that'll work with the original Vive though you'd probably still have to run a wire from the transmitter to your PC anyway if it works anything like the TPCAST one. Some people just extend their cables to other rooms with no issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-