How's your D-Pad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ShadowSoldier, May 2, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    The reason I ask is because I've found myself having to press pretty hard on the right for characters to move to the right, like in Rayman. And after a while it starts to hurt the thumb. I can press down lightly so it clicks or whatever, but sometimes it doesn't make connection. Anybody else experiencing this?

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    there's a d-pad? :P

dunno haven't used it in lego city :lol:

3. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Download Rayman Legends Challenge App fgt.

4. BenRK

BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    My D-Pad works just fine, haven't had any such problem.

5. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    See I would make a dispute with Nintendo, but this is the second GamePad I got from them, and it's inconsistent enough where it'll be hard to point it out. I mean if you watch me play say Rayman Legends, you'll see sometimes that my character just stops moving and random times. It's dumb.

6. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I don't get it.

@SS Try using the browser or Miiverse with the d-pad to see if you have similar problems. It's possible (although unlikely) that it's a software problem.

You should also check this out.

7. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It's not broken or anything, I just have to press harder than normal to the point where it sort of starts to hurt the thumb and I'm forced to play with analog stick. Like I said, I would call nintendo, but I'd like to get concrete proof first so they don't think I'm bullshitting them.

8. Jan1tor

Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    Nope, no problem here. Works with ease, just a little push. I do have callus on my thumbs though. Maybe you need to grow a little callus to slow the pain. I use them a lot on my 3DSes cause I play TONZ of pinball. Have to use my fingers on the gamepad on the Wii U though.

9. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Not broken, but damaged.

10. Dork

Dork Newbie

My D-Pad works just fine playing Rayman, no discomfort.

Yeah, you might want to get another replacement if it's bothering you, you probably got unlucky with your second replacement, it happens.

11. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I think I experience similar problems on my Dpad. Sometimes when pressing right while playing mario it acts a little funky, I am not sure if it is about how hard I am pressing it or if it is unintentionally getting pressed diaganol or what. The most noticable situation is when I am trying to start off a level where I have to run and Mario moves a little bit and is slow and I have to adjust how I am pressing the dpad to get him to run. I think it may have contributed to my difficulties playing punchout as well.

I don't notice it when playing where I have to do quick taps like in Fzero but the dpad is definitely not as good as I would expect on a Nintendo controller.

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    mines fine i've been using it on funky barn