Hardware How would you value an Ambassador 3DS?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Either way I don't see it as "screwing the customer over" they didn't have to give these titles away, maybe the equivalent of the price drop could have been given in eshop points but still its not something they had to do.

For those loyal customers who paid £220 (or even £229) it's paltry reward for supporting a brand new, overpriced, console. And i say overpriced due to the size and rapidity of the price drop that followed. If there's anything that this has taught me, it's that you should never, ever buy a launch console, no matter how solid the parent company is. Sorry, don't seem to sound so bitter, but i'm just heartbroken that something i thought had so much potential has left me so disappointed.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Boombox, no eShop Content is linked to your account.
I have 2 Japanese 3DS's, I buy all of my stuff on the first one, and I have to rebuy it on my second one, unless I transfer my stuff to the second one, using the System Settings.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would come down to the rarity of Ambassador consoles.

I estimate about 25-30% of 3DS consoles are Ambassador consoles. And the 3DS has been available for only a year. Imagine at the end of the 3DS's lifetime, a LOT more 3DS's will have been sold. Five years from now, there'd probably be under 5% of 3DS's will be Ambassador consoles.

That means only about 5% of 3DS's (if even that) will have the GBA games. There'll be no point with the NES games as they will all eventually be released soon, so the potential value will cut right in half.

But still considering that an ambassador console would have been purchased at the Launch price, those who've got the Ambassador games effectively paid that much for their 3DS, so the Ambassador games will account for the extra cash.

But remember what I said, the potential value will cut right in half. But only for the money that was effectively spent on the ambassador games will be cut.

As I'm in Australia and paid 350$ for mine, now it is 250$. So the worth of the Ambassador games for me would be 100$ for the 20. Cut that down to 10 games, and my 3DS becomes $50 more than the standard 3DS. So if my 3DS was brand-new, it would be priced at about 300$ But mine's still in a like-new condition, because I take care of it. So a little bit of the price should be taken off, let's say 20$.

Now let's go ahead to the year 2021, the 3DS is now 10 years old, and like all consoles after discontinuation (and after they're not being sold anymore), their price will raise slowly over time. I'd say with a 3DS that's worth about $280, it's price will have raised to say, 300$-350$ on auction sites. And add to that the rarity of the Ambassador system, the price will be raised slightly because of the increase of value.

But this is dragging on. To sum up, the longer you wait to sell an Ambassador 3DS, the more you'll get for it.
You are implying that Nintendo won't release the GBA titles ever. They never said that. They only said they had no plans to do it at that time. Next week, they could release them all.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well hopefully i've sold it. I really hate losing money but it has to be done as i've never really used it (just checked the system clock and it says 22 minutes of play time....i was that impressed by it!) I actually feel mournful about it because i love the system itself, but there was just no software that's really grabbed me bar a couple of titles, and in over a year that's not really enough. I'll probably end up buying it again when they have more AAA titles and have revised the hardware to add that second stick.

I say hopefully as i'm about to go out and meet up with my potential buyer from one of those listing sites...so i expect it to either be a big wind up, a purchase where i end up with fake money, or end up with me being murdered.

Reactions: 1 person

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hopefully i've sold it. I really hate losing money but it has to be done as i've never really used it (just checked the system clock and it says 22 minutes of play time....i was that impressed by it!) I actually feel mournful about it because i love the system itself, but there was just no software that's really grabbed me bar a couple of titles, and in over a year that's not really enough. I'll probably end up buying it again when they have more AAA titles and have revised the hardware to add that second stick.

I say hopefully as i'm about to go out and meet up with my potential buyer from one of those listing sites...so i expect it to either be a big wind up, a purchase where i end up with fake money, or end up with me being murdered.
Whoa, whoa, calm down MR.SUNSHINE. Your blinding me with your waves of optimism.

Reactions: 2 people

LightTrench

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, it isn't going to be worth much more. The titles are usually included as a gift as they have problems and features missing. They are slowly appearing on the eShop. And the bonus 60 blocks on the home screen aren't really required anymore as of this moment because of the system update that added folders. Thats 57 folders storing 60 items each storing a total of 3420 Games/Applications (not counting the 9 storable built in applications, 3 system applications are not storable). Eventually, there will be no difference. I wanted to buy a 3DS, but at the time I didn't have the money. By the time I had the money, the price went down and I was too late. I always wished Nintendo had made some other way to get the games, but later I became disappointed in them. I have not bought very many of their games since then.

SaitouSad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I think people don't generally care about the ambassador sets. If anything, the games are just an added bonus to entice your buyer to get the set from you, and only provided your set is in a good condition.
If you have the 4 Swords Anniversary edition, I think that helps make the deal more enticing (it's what made me buy my current set 2nd hand from someone else), as the game is no longer available for free.

But price-wise, I think it isn't worth much.

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like a previous poster has said, most places you sell or trade in your system to don't care & will not value your system a higher priced because it is an ambassador system. They will just give you a price based off what they think they can sell it back to someone else for to gain a profit. You are better off trying to sell it on Craigs List or Ebay but I still don't think you will get much more for it. Let's face facts your 3DS is used plain and simple, whether it's been 30 minutes or 5 minutes it's still been used and that already lowers it's value. I say $150 is a fair price for it. Anything higher than the price for a brand new system is unfair that's my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones