Hacking How will we be able to update games (for online play) and keep Ninjhax?

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to update games, you need access to the eShop. But the eShop won't work unless you're on the latest firmware version. So what I'm asking is once there's another firmware version out, and a game you want to play online has a new version (an inevitability with a game like, say, Pokemon OR/AS) how could I continue being able to play online without losing Ninjhax? Is there any way short of buying a second 3DS (in which case I might as well just get a 4.5 one) or waiting until someone finds a kernel-mode exploit that can be run through Ninjhax?

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you've got a flashcart (Gateway, MT-Card, which are able to run homebrew), Nintendo will most likely use the method you described to block it (at least temporarily).

I heard smealum is going to open source the exploit after Nintendo blocks it, so once it's out in the public, I'm sure similar exploits will be released that capitalize on newer firmwares.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I can assure all our readers with around 99.99999% accuracy that :ph34r:HAX will be blocked in the next firmware update, judging by what the past has taught us, of course.

This leaves you with two probable options:
1) Update your 3DS to have eshop and leave your haxx behind.
2) Buy a second 3DS for :ph34r:HAX and update your current 3DS.

Also, there is one third UN-probable (at least for a while) option:
3) Wait and see if smea can can port it to higher firmware............

Reactions: darkness_shadow

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least with an exploit that can run homebrew on the (current) latest firmware in the wild, more people will be coding for the 3DS. I would be surprised if nobody found an exploit that gives us kernel access. With the ability to run arbitrary user-mode code in the public at least, I'm sure it will be easier to find one.

xenia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can backup the NAND with a hardware mod, update, and then reflash your backed up NAND.
People have done this to get stuff from the eShop at times when Gateway emuNAND didn't support the latest versions.
That won't work for stuff specifically requiring newer versions though, of course.

Also, here's what smealum told tinycartridge: “I think it’s likely they’ll be releasing a hotfix for the exploit soon-ish. Of course I don’t know when, and I don’t know how good the fix will be. It’s all cat-and-mouse from here. Given the nature of the exploit though, I feel fairly confident that they won’t be able to perfectly patch out the vulnerabilities we use, unless they had ninjas somehow infiltrating our ranks.”

Reactions: Celice and siFippo

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can backup the NAND with a hardware mod, update, and then reflash your backed up NAND.
People have done this to get stuff from the eShop at times when Gateway emuNAND didn't support the latest versions.
That won't work for stuff specifically requiring newer versions though, of course.

Also, here's what smealum told tinycartridge: “I think it’s likely they’ll be releasing a hotfix for the exploit soon-ish. Of course I don’t know when, and I don’t know how good the fix will be. It’s all cat-and-mouse from here. Given the nature of the exploit though, I feel fairly confident that they won’t be able to perfectly patch out the vulnerabilities we use, unless they had ninjas somehow infiltrating our ranks.”

We'd also need to know what shape those ninjas are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...