How to watch YouTube videos in the browser again!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Alex4nder001, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Alex4nder001
    OP

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Introduction
    Recently, many people have found they can no longer watch YouTube on their 3DS. First of all, it looks like the version you'd be seeing on a basic, non smart phone's web browser. Secondly, when they'd click on "Watch video" they would get a dialog box saying "This address is not supported." Also, a lot of Luma CFW users report that the YouTube app crashes and doesn't work. Me, personally, I had both of these problems happen to me.

Well, worry no more! I will show you how to watch YouTube again, in the web browser. This method essentially downgrades the 3DS web browser, and it works perfectly. (I'm pretty sure that BrowserHax will work again, although what's the point if you have CFW? I haven't tried.)

Required
    • A 3DS (duh!)
    • CFW or some way to install CIAs
    • A CIA manager like DevMenu or FBI (I used FBI)
    • The internet browser CIA from an older system firmware version (I used 9.2.0-20E). I can't tell you where to download the files, but if you Google "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X" (without the quotes), you should find a page where you can download a ZIP file with the firmware files inside
    • A computer
    Recommended
    • Godmode9
    Instructions
    1) On your 3DS, find the title ID of your 3DS's internet browser applet. Mine is 0004003020009D02 (for my European New Nintendo 3DS), but it might be different for the old Nintendo 3DS or for a different region. To find yours, open FBI, go to "Titles", press select and deselect everything except "Show NAND" and "Sort by name", then press B to return to the titles list. Then scroll down until you get to "Internet Browser". You will see it's title ID on the top screen, take a screenshot or write it down, you will need it later.

screenshot00.

Alteratively, I've found the title IDs of the internet browser on 3dbrew, on this page.
    OLD NINTENDO 3DS BROWSER (SPIDER):
    USA: 0004003000009402
    Europe: 0004003000009D02
    Japan: 0004003000008802
    China: 000400300000A602
    Korea: 000400300000AE02
    Taiwan: 000400300000B602
    NEW NINTENDO 3DS BROWSER (SKATER):
    USA: 0004003020009402
    Europe: 0004003020009D02
    Japan: 0004003020008802
    China: ?
    Korea: 000400302000AE02
    Taiwan: ?
    2) On your PC, download the ZIP file containing an old firmware (like 9.X). MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT VERSION FOR YOUR MODEL AND REGION!
    3) Open the ZIP file, and look for a CIA file where the file name is exactly the same as the Internet Browser title ID you found earlier.

screenshot01.

Extract it to your 3DS's SD card.
    4) This step is optional, but now would be a good time to make a SysNAND backup on your 3DS in Godmode9, in case something goes wrong. Once you've done that, move on to the next step.
    5) On your 3DS, open FBI, open the internet browser CIA file you extracted and install it. Then reboot, and open YouTube in the browser and play a video to see if it works. Make sure you've selected "Use mobile versions" in the browser menu.

That's it! You've successfully downgraded the 3DS browser to watch videos again. You can even watch videos in 3D! I've only tried this with YouTube, but you could probably watch videos on other sites like Vimeo, etc.

Anyways, have fun!

Proof
    screenshot02. screenshot03. screenshot04.

Tarmfot and zoogie like this.
  2. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    9.2 browser fixes the yt issue?
    Updates are supposed to make the 3ds more stable, not less.
    lol.

NutymcNuty likes this.
  3. Alex4nder001
    OP

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I guess Nintendo deliberately made it so that you can't watch videos any more, probably to prevent another BrowserHax exploit being made

4. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    well. there was this whole thing that youtube made enough changes to how its system worked that it became a obsolete app which did not work on 3ds consoles anymore

5. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    weirdly the vita version of the youtube app isnt working either but it hasnt been for about a year
    you have to use the desktop url to make videos from youtube play because the mobile version gives an error
    its weird that they just plugged the plug on 3ds now

6. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I can watch youtube on my 2DS XL just fine I just use the request mobile sites option in the browser

7. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Is this a matter of YouTube serving different versions based on the browser's User Agent? If so, wouldn't another option be to modify the current browser to send an older version's UA?

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be a User Agent thing, tried using a Firefox extension to spoof as several different New 3DS versions and none of them were able to access the modern "smartphone version" YouTube.

EDIT2: Conversely, every 3DS (non-New) User Agent does take me to the modern smartphone YouTube. Now I don't know what to think.

Last edited by Vague Rant, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    alivebacon likes this.
  8. smileyhead

smileyhead Sitting on the toilet

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    I'm using a New 3DS and can watch YouTube videos in the browser just fine. No workarounds needed. Just tick the "Use mobile versions" box in the options.

9. alivebacon

alivebacon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Spiral Mountain
    This fix isn't needed on N3DS, however my fellow O3DS/O2DS users can't request the mobile site.
    Hence, this fix.

10. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Actually, I have a N3DS and can't get YouTube to work at all. Found out the hard way a few days ago when I wanted to see a 3D video of Virtual Boy Wario Land, to see how the 3D effect for that game looked in action. My system does have Luna3DS set up on it, if that affects anything. Still, I tried using the mobile version, desktop version, and just about every workaround that I found via Google search before just giving up.

Admittedly, other than the rare 3D video, I'm more likely to watch videos with my phone, but it is annoying that functionality that's supposed to be there is broken. (Also, for certain things like Zelda Classic videos, the 3DS screen strangely makes the game look better. Kind of like how retro games look better on an old-school TV over a modern HDTV.)

When I've got the time, I'll give this a try and see if it fixes things.

alivebacon likes this.
  11. alivebacon

Jan 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Spiral Mountain
    Why isn't it installing the CIA for me?

12. Alex4nder001
    OP

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Me, personally, I tried to view both mobile and desktop versions, and neither worked. I suspected that a firmware update was responsible, so I tried a partial downgrade (only the web browser) and luckily it worked. It was just a guess and I was right. I was using Luma3DS though, IDK if that had something to interfere with it and only work now.
    Do you have CFW or sigpatches?

13. alivebacon

Jan 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Spiral Mountain
    I have Luma. So when I go back into the browser, nothing has changed. Open a PM convo to make chatting easier.