ROM Hack Question How to use pkNX for wild encounters on Let's Go Eevee?

OmegaPikachu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with pkNX according to this tweet: Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/mattyoukhana_/status/1067211858610860033

you can randomize wild encounters, But I have no clue how to do it lol. When you click the wild encounters button on pkNX it just opens a window to browse for a .json file

Does anyone know how to do this? Its new enough that theres no tutorials or info on google lol

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You presumably have to figure out which .bin file in romfs holds the wild encounter code, convert this to json, edit it with pkNX and then figure out how to convert it back to .bin. It would be nice to have some sort of tutorial, or at the very least which .bin it is. My guess is poke_appearance_list.bin

Reactions: hassan ali

Stoned

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You presumably have to figure out which .bin file in romfs holds the wild encounter code, convert this to json, edit it with pkNX and then figure out how to convert it back to .bin. It would be nice to have some sort of tutorial, or at the very least which .bin it is. My guess is poke_appearance_list.bin

No it´s encount_data_e.bin and encount_data_p.bin

Reactions: h448

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you :P How would you go about converting the .bin to a .json file to be edited?
sounds like it something that tool does for you. Best to find a readme for it.
I've never heard of pkNX myself. Unless it's an offshoot of pkHex?

EDIT: Weird, they have a github for it but they don't post their builds there. That twitter account does have links to current builds though.

Last edited by phonz,

Akei

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I tried myself but can't manage to open any files with the program
I always have
"Invalid file loaded. Unable to recognize data : $pkNX.WinForms.FileRipper+RipResult."

So even If I try to open encount_data.bin I got the message

sora10pls

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m the one who made that Tweet. You need to have a dump of your game already made to load into pkNX (RomFS should be 27,818 total files). Once you open that dump, you use the bin2json batch file to get your encounter data’s JSON, and then open that generated JSON with the wilds editor. After making your changes, save the newly generated JSON into that folder with the flatbuffer schema tools, and then run json2bin; that newly generated binary is your randomized encounters.

Reactions: h448

OmegaPikachu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m the one who made that Tweet. You need to have a dump of your game already made to load into pkNX (RomFS should be 27,818 total files). Once you open that dump, you use the bin2json batch file to get your encounter data’s JSON, and then open that generated JSON with the wilds editor. After making your changes, save the newly generated JSON into that folder with the flatbuffer schema tools, and then run json2bin; that newly generated binary is your randomized encounters.

Oh alright. There isnt a batch file in the release or am I just not seeing it? just DLL files and such.

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what is the best homebrew app to use to dump lets go pikachu in order to use PkNx?
I don't believe there's an app on the switch itself to do it, you'll have to use hactool (or hacgui if you want to make it easier on you) to dump the romfs and exefs, and of course the .nsp file you have from your Switch.

Rikoru

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me a brief tutorial on how I get to the json part? I have extracted an nsp using hactoolGUI to produce a .nca file, I have then extracted that .nca using the same tool. This has produced the files in the screenshot. Where do I go from here?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 257

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me a brief tutorial on how I get to the json part? I have extracted an nsp using hactoolGUI to produce a .nca file, I have then extracted that .nca using the same tool. This has produced the files in the screenshot. Where do I go from here?
So, it looks like you successfully extracted the exefs, but the romfs seems to be in that big "game.istorage" file, which isn't right. I am not 100% sure how this process went south, do you have all the correct keys when extracting? (Including the Titlekey?)

Rikoru

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, it looks like you successfully extracted the exefs, but the romfs seems to be in that big "game.istorage" file, which isn't right. I am not 100% sure how this process went south, do you have all the correct keys when extracting? (Including the Titlekey?)

Yes or at least I assumed I did :rofl2:

Arc_Ray99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this topic still live? ive been wanting to do this recently but there seems to be very important info missing for how to do this.
i keep seeing "you just need a dump of the games files and load them up into pkNX", so i have a dump and i put it in and its giving me an error.
it just says they are invalid files, but i find WHAT files it needs. all i see is that i need to have what i already have.

Stoned

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is this topic still live? ive been wanting to do this recently but there seems to be very important info missing for how to do this.
i keep seeing "you just need a dump of the games files and load them up into pkNX", so i have a dump and i put it in and its giving me an error.
it just says they are invalid files, but i find WHAT files it needs. all i see is that i need to have what i already have.

You have to unpack your dump to a RomFS and a ExeFS Folder.

Arc_Ray99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to unpack your dump to a RomFS and a ExeFS Folder.

they are in a RomFS folder, but i have yet to see this ExeFS folder mentioned before. what exactly is that? or do i just need to make a folder called that and put it all in there? that seems too easy...

AKANE11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are in a RomFS folder, but i have yet to see this ExeFS folder mentioned before. what exactly is that? or do i just need to make a folder called that and put it all in there? that seems too easy...
Are you using hactool to extract the xci?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up