Hacking How to use PartitionMagic to partition external drive without formatti

Amelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've heard it can be done, but I've tried using PartitionMagic 8.0 and I can't seem to get it working... could someone put a step by step guide on how to do it? Thanks in advance.

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First I have to tell you I am not 100% sure with the terms for all the formating , because my Partition Magic is in german.
0. You might want to backup your drive if you got the space just in case you or Partition Magic screws up.
1. Plug in your drive and start Partition Magic
2. Now I assume your drive currently has only one partition the size of the whole drive. So now you locate that Partition in Partition Magic and right click on it.
3.Choose "change size / relocate " it has to be called like this or something similar like I said my version is german
smile.gif
4. Now reduce the size of the partition by either resizing the color bar or entering the size in MB. Reduce its size so there is enough space on the drive for the new partition you want to create.
5. Now there should be 2 Partitions displayed on your drive in Partition Magic. One should be the resized old partition , the other should be the unallocated remaining space of the drive.
6. Right click the unallocated partition and click "create" . In the drop down menu choose create as : primary partition. As Partitiontype choose unformated and select the size of the partition where it says size xD. Choose a drive letter ,which your computer isnt using yet in the Upper right.
7. If you did everything right you should now have :
7.1 2 Partitions displayed
7.2 one should be the same as before just smaller the other should be unformated and a primary partition.
8. If this is the case proceed by clicking the green ticked circle either in the bottom left or at the top. If this isn't the case redo everything and follow my tutorial from the start.
9. IMPORTANT: While Partition Magic is doing its job you shouldn't touch your pc , because if the pc freezes or anything goes wrong the data on your drive is lost.

Amelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't do step 3, it wont let me do it =[ I only can do Delete, Format and Convert.

My Size MB and Used MB are the same, however I have only used 120 gbs out of the 470, would that have anything to do with it? Because my C and D drives have different Size and Used, and I can resize/move them. If so then how do I fix it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: