How to unbrick using A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lycanroc, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    (Just to make it clear, I didn't brick my console, I'm just curious.)

Now that that's out of the way, here's the question: How exactly does one unbrick a 3DS using A9LH without a hardmod? I've seen that in the "pros" section of pretty much any MenuHax vs. A9LH fight, but that's pretty much all everyone says: "Hurr durr you can unbrick without a hardmod.".
    But NO ONE says how exactly is that unbrick possible, how to do it, what are the steps... Nothing!

So could someone please explain this to the peepz who might be interested in this?

Thanks.

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I to would like to know. I'm going through a brick risk and i want to know how to unbrick once i set it up

3. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    It can load a payload before the system boots up. So as long as you have a backup of your sysnand or emunand you can flash it and have it fixed again. Decrypt9 is what is used

4. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    I would think it's for example with AuReiNand if you followed the OTP Guide.

If you hold L+R it will autoboot Decrypt9. From there you can restore a Xnand (emu/sys) without need the help from an exploit on the system itself. Since all is on a sdcard. Sure if the firm0 and firm1 gets FUBAR, they our out of luck. But then your system would be a brick anyway from a hardware failure rather than a software issue.

5. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Just an important message I'd like to share. If you are installing A9LH or updating it, you are not protected from a brick. You are only protected from bricks relating to (un)installing cias to the nand.

Source: me ;(

6. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Well yes, flashing a dump to say, a fried nand chip would do nothing. Hardware failure cant be fixed by dumps... idk why you would think that?

7. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I didn't say anything about a hardware failure. I was just saying if something goes wrong in the install process then it would be a permabrick (of course you could always hard mod)

8. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Ahh, sorry about that then. I am really tired atm. xD And yea, I think most guides warn of risks.

9. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Lol it's ok man.

10. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    I have always wondered can you always recover with a hard mod? (Short of hardware failure of the flash on the unit)

Are there any circumstances other than hardware failure that you could put your NAND into a state that even a hardmod cannot fix?

Thanks

11. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Misuse of hammer and motherboard.

Maybe bricking and not having a backup.

Nandmods fix because it overwrites "the everything" including the possible mismatched firm partitions and whatever system cias you may or may not have deleted.
    Edit: AKA: Hardmods fix yo shit.

Last edited by Conn0r, Mar 24, 2016
  12. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    So wait, even if the A9LH SysNAND bricks, it's still possible to access Decrypt9 using R+L (or whatever your shortcut is) on boot? I thought that would brick too?

13. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    If you corrupts firm0 or firm 1 partition, your 3ds is bricked! (also a9lh). With an hardmod, you can access the NAND in order to repair the sysnand, so the 3ds.

Last edited by Omegadrien, Mar 24, 2016
    Arkansaw, Lycanroc and d4mation like this.
  14. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    And how would one avoid Firm1 and Firm0 corruption?
    What are some things to avoid doing?

Last edited by Lycanroc, Mar 24, 2016
  15. oFire

oFire GBAtemp Regular

Oct 6, 2015
    United States
    Once you get a9lh installed, dont try to update it or touch it. Unless something super new comes out that makes it crucial to update it, the risk for many people just outweighs the benefits.

Lycanroc and Raylight like this.
  16. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Edit: nvm

Last edited by Just Passing By, Mar 24, 2016
    Raylight likes this.
  17. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    wait till safea9lh installer gets finished then we can update safer then what we currently can. what more can be done anyways.

18. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    All MMC-compatible chips can be programmed in software to turn read-only...

19. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    What do you mean by "update"? Updating the SysNAND's firmware, updating AuReiNand, or updating A9LH itself?

I already have A9LH with updated SysNAND and AuReiNand, so knowing which of the three is the most dangerous to mess with would be helpful.

20. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Updating a9lh.

Lycanroc likes this.