Hacking How to trim roms using ndstool?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it officially has the functionality -- trimming tends to be more of a flash cart thing and of little interest to homebrew.

Unofficially I imagine you could unbuild the ROM and rebuild it and it would lose space added between the files (seen it in a few games, something traditional trimmers would also not touch) and at the end of the ROM. Whether it would be proper "safe"* trimming I don't know.

*3 types of DS ROM trimming out there in the world
1) GBA style. Start at end of ROM, go backwards until you hit something that is not a 00 or FF. Delete from here on in. Tricky as 00 and FF are perfectly valid things to have in a file. Still it will work for most things.
2) Basic file system aware. The ROM itself will have a listing of how big it is, the basic aware trimmer will take this value and delete beyond it.
3) Safe trimming. For whatever reason a ROM trimmed like 2) will sometimes not work with wifi. Adding a few bytes on (think 40 or so) will seemingly prevent this failure from happening and this would be the safe trimming that the ROM management tools (don't know if we are still recommending DSclippers) will do.

Reactions: Tempylon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1