Hacking [HOW TO] Successfully downgrade from 7.0.1 to 6.2

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did the downgrade from 7.0.0. to 6.2.0. without factory reset and everything worked perfectly. Why is it strongly advised?
I still did not power off the switch since I downgraded and now I'm planning to create EmuNAND 6.2.0. and then restore my NAND backup from before the downgrade to avoid any more fuses getting burned.

when downgrading there are thing that can mess up if you don't. I've seen mixed cases with 7.0.x down to 6.2 of working and not working

ceycey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok so at least I've been a lucky fool...
but creating EmuNAND on 6.2. and restoring NAND backup with 7.0.0. to sysnand should work?

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 6.2 system nand.I wanna play 7.0.1 games.should I backup my nand and make a emunand for 7.0.1 I have sxos.what'd you suggest I do thanks.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm on 6.2 system nand.I wanna play 7.0.1 games.should I backup my nand and make a emunand for 7.0.1 I have sxos.what'd you suggest I do thanks.
install and ignore firmware version should work for most of them, right now there are about half a dozen that require it. but if so then yes

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I see your point.7.0.1 isn't fully established.I found out tho that games like blaster Master zero 2 and a couple others force you to update to 7.0.1 plus if I do the emunand do I gotta transfer the save files or will almost everything work?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I see your point.7.0.1 isn't fully established.I found out tho that games like blaster Master zero 2 and a couple others force you to update to 7.0.1 plus if I do the emunand do I gotta transfer the save files or will almost everything work?
You can ignore the firmware requirement when installing, though that won't work if the game actually uses 7.x encryption.
When you make an emuNAND everything is transferred, but it uses a different folder "Emutendo" on the SD card, so you have to copy/rename the Nintendo folder for it to be recognized in emuNAND. What most people do with SX is just use the emuNAND for CFW and leave the sysNAND untouched.
If you have a clean NAND backup I suggest restoring it to your sysNAND after you set up emuNAND that way you can have a clean legit NAND for online.

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the game I'm trying to play (blaster Master zero 2) gives me only 2 choices update or close.I know most games will give you the three options but I have came across a game that did the same thing when I was on 5.1 then I was stuck with 6.2 and couldn't use it for weeks till xecuter fixed it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im.on 6.2 now and I never backed up my nand file.how much space does the nand require I forgot and If switch over to emunand after backing up how do you safely update the emunand?? Do you just update thought the Nintendo update?? Like a regular update or do you have to update it A different way??I remember 3ds you would just update emunand using the Nintendo servers.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah the game I'm trying to play (blaster Master zero 2) gives me only 2 choices update or close.I know most games will give you the three options but I have came across a game that did the same thing when I was on 5.1 then I was stuck with 6.2 and couldn't use it for weeks till xecuter fixed it.

Im.on 6.2 now and I never backed up my nand file.how much space does the nand require I forgot and If switch over to emunand after backing up how do you safely update the emunand?? Do you just update thought the Nintendo update?? Like a regular update or do you have to update it A different way??I remember 3ds you would just update emunand using the Nintendo servers.

nand backup is ~29gb

backup nand
create emunand from current sysnand
boot emunand
update emunand?

Pretty sure thats the process

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nand backup is ~29gb

backup nand
create emunand from current sysnand
boot emunand
update emunand?

Pretty sure thats the process

Thanks for your help!I will do this later on.im gonna use another sd card since I have my game data backed up "thanks to corrupted micro sd card from doing cheat searches".ill let you know how everything goes later thanks

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna try it.I tried YouTube but it seems allot of the stuff on the games that are for 7.0.1 to work on 6.2 videos are in a different language bummer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot