Hacking how to split Brawl?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brawl won't go on my flash drive because it's over 4GB and it's FAT32. Wiibackup manager can't move in, any advice how to split the file?

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had any problems transferring any large or dual layer games with Wii Backup Manager to FAT32 nor do I recall ever having to select any special options to do so.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suppose you are not using wii Backup Manager correctly.
that's why I said in your other thread that you probably are using it wrongly, and you might need a tutorial to use that easy to use program.
I don't know why users have too many problems to use something properly.

How to transfer a game to Wii HDD with Wii Backup Manager
(The proper way !)

First, get the latest version here (build 78. Any other newer builds are NOT official, I don't support modded files from random website, neither should you):
http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html
OR
here in the attached files to the first post : https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-backup-manager-for-windows.188295/

Plug your (v)Wii HDD
Launch the program.
in the "Files" tab, select "add" and "files..." and load your ISO on your computer, or "folders..." and load your folder where you have your ISO on your computer.
in the "Drive1" tab, select the partition (letter) of your (v)Wii HDD where you have your wii games.
go back to "Files" tab and check the checkbox in front of the game's name you want to install/convert/transfer to wii HDD.
select "Transfer > Drive 1"
Done :D

The proper usage of this program is "Files > Transfer > Drive 1"
or "Drive 1 > Transfer > Drive 2"

DO NOT USE
"Transfer > ISO...." or
"Transfer > cIOS..." or
"Transfer > WBFS file..."
these 3 options are converters, not installers tools. Use these 3 options to copy/convert files TO YOUR COMPUTER.

:!: IMPORTANT :!: DO NOT CHOOSE MANUALLY where to save your games on your Wii HDD !!

How to setup Wii Backup Manager properly

If you want better folder name on your Wii HDD drive, set the settings like this:

Launch the program, and do not mount any drive in "Drive1" or "Drive2" tab.

go to settings > General tab >
- Choose "Remove update partition" if not already set to that option. (required for Smash Bros!)

go to settings > FAT32/NTFS tab >
enable these options:
- select Folder layout : "Store files in separated sub-folders".
- Select Naming style : Title_[ID] pattern.
- Select Split to 4GB. (default, but in case you changed it, restore that option to 4GB)
- Enable "Automatically update storage convention on partition mount" option.

go to settings > Drives >
Check all your internal drives letters.
example, C: is your internal computer's HDD partition, you don't want to install Wii games to that hard drive, so hide it from the program.

go to settings > Startup >
If you want auto-mount of folders and HDD partition at program's launch.
I'd suggest to only auto-mount folders located on your computer, not HDD's partition as you might run the program without your hdd plugged or partition letter could be different if you have different USB devices plugged.

go to settings > Titles >
- enable "Use Wiitdb titles.txt" option.
- Select your language in "Title language" drop drown menu.
- click "Download titles.txt" button.
- enable "Use wiitdb for file and folders name" option.
- DO NOT enable other renaming options!! dangerous ! It can corrupt your games and drives.

Save the settings.
Go to main window and mount your drive ! done ! everything is renamed automatically.

Last edited by Cyan,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
also, in the options menu there is a setting for splitting files IIRC...
manually turn it to 4 or 2GB if "auto" is giving issues

edit: nijad^^

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's a solution, but it's taking too much space if you keep the full ISO.
you can of course keep a full unsplit wbfs file on NTFS which takes less space than ISO.

but FAT32 is useful to get every homebrew on the same partition, like nintendont, emulators or games, even HBC which can't list from NTFS.

That's up to you to pick the format you prefer.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Lucifer666

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A little off-topic, but honestly can't believe FAT32 is still used in this day & age. Worst format ever.

Aside from the silly 4 gig limit there's also a limit on the length of a file path! So the longer the names of folders/subfolders, the fewer 'layers' of them you can put a file into. I believe this is specifically a Windows thing, but it can be circumvented by formatting as NTFS.

EDIT: Re what @Cyan said, he's right about homebrew compatibility possibly being an issue under NTFS, and that, yeah, you're probably just using the backup software wrong. I don't think I've ever had to manually deal with any issues relating to file size when playing backups off a USB drive.

Last edited by Lucifer666,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
even if it has a lot of limitation, it's a well established format. FAT32 is just easier to integrate in projects, with known and free libraries.
NTFS is copyrighted and the "free" (public?) library is not stable, not fully supporting features like streams. it's just a simple library to read/write files. it was unstable for a long time, it became stable at the same time than the Wii era. (some of the fixes even from Dimok)
Most devices are compatible with FAT32, from computers (linux, mac, windows, others) to stranger devices (cars media players, GPS, cameras, etc.), passing to all consoles officially (wii, 3DS, PS3) and unofficially (Snes, PS2, NDS, etc.)

It doesn't mean it's a good format, due to all its limitations, but it's just easy to implement in small projects like ROM loading flashcarts on NDS, etc.
it's just smaller in memory.

I guess it's also a problem of being available from the start, being smaller in memory and easy to implement, it's a format which is often first implemented before adding other formats like exFAT or NTFS or ext.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose you are not using wii Backup Manager correctly.
that's why I said in your other thread that you probably are using it wrongly, and you might need a tutorial to use that easy to use program.
I don't know why users have too many problems to use something properly.

How to transfer a game to Wii HDD with Wii Backup Manager
(The proper way !)

First, get the latest version here:
http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/downloads.html

Launch the program.
in the "Files" tab, select "add" and "files..." and load your ISO on your computer, or "folders..." and load your folder where you have your ISO on your computer.
in the "Drive1" tab, select the partition letter where you have your wii games.
go back to "Files" tab and check the checkbox in front of the game's name you want to install/convert/transfer to wii HDD.
select "Transfer > Drive 1"
Done :D

The proper usage of this program is "Files > Transfer > Drive 1"
or "Drive 1 > Transfer > Drive 2"

DO NOT USE
"Transfer > ISO...." or
"Transfer > cIOS..." or
"Transfer > WBFS file..."
these 3 options are converters, not installers tools. Use these 3 options to copy/convert files TO YOUR COMPUTER.

:!: IMPORTANT :!: DO NOT CHOOSE MANUALLY where to save your games on your Wii HDD !!

How to setup Wii Backup Manager properly

If you want better folder name on your Wii HDD drive, set the settings like this:

Launch the program, and do not mount any drive in "Drive1" or "Drive2" tab.

go to settings > General tab >
- Choose "Remove update partition" if not already set to that option. (required for Smash Bros!)

go to settings > FAT32/NTFS tab >
enable these options:
- select Folder layout : "Store files in separated sub-folders".
- Select Naming style : Title_[ID] pattern.
- Select Split to 4GB. (default, but in case you changed it, restore that option to 4GB)
- Enable "Automatically update storage convention on partition mount" option.

go to settings > Drives >
Check all your internal drives letters.
example, C: is your internal computer's HDD partition, you don't want to install Wii games to that hard drive, so hide it from the program.

go to settings > Startup >
If you want auto-mount of folders and HDD partition at program's launch.
I'd suggest to only auto-mount folders located on your computer, not HDD's partition as you might run the program without your hdd plugged or partition letter could be different if you have different USB devices plugged.

go to settings > Titles >
- enable "Use Wiitdb titles.txt" option.
- Select your language in "Title language" drop drown menu.
- click "Download titles.txt" button.
- enable "Use wiitdb for file and folders name" option.
- DO NOT enable other renaming options!! dangerous ! It can corrupt your games and drives.

Save the settings.
Go to main window and mount your drive ! done ! everything is renamed automatically.

yes it seems to have worked. Only thing is ""wiidb titles" was "gamedb titles" so I checked that as that's all I could see..

One more question, where can I get save game files? do I need to do anything special to convert them? I really don't want to have to unlock everything in Brawl again lol.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should use Wiimm's ISO Tools to convert Smash Bros to WBFS. Wii Backup Manager doesn't handle the partition table on that disc properly.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should use Wiimm's ISO Tools to convert Smash Bros to WBFS. Wii Backup Manager doesn't handle the partition table on that disc properly.

It's working now. Thanks everyone. Only thing i'd like to know is how to move a brawl save over now lol.

EDIT: Just used Ocarina, much easier. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by kbf,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if I select "keep all partitions"?
Yes. It doesn't understand the layout of the extra partition with the VC demos on it.

I use an NTFS-formatted USB stick, and only keep the game partition. Works flawlessly without splitting.

Yes... NTFS. It doesn't need to be split for that. :/ You also cannot run emuNAND, NEEK, or HBC from NTFS.

Reactions: sideskroll

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: