How to safely update to 4.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by waterboy100, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. waterboy100
    OP

Newcomer waterboy100 Member

United States
    I want to update my Wii to system 4.0. I have whatever is installed with the Wii fit (ill check my firmware when I get home).
    I have found a shit ton of tutorials online and on this forum and i'm looking for the tutorial that is easy to follow for a not tech savvy guy.

At the moment I have a D2Pro v2. I'd like to be able to run wads (VC, WiiWare, and Homebrew) from a 8 or 16GB SD card.
    I'd also like to install a loader (like the childproof USB loader to keep younger siblings from messing discs up (seems easier than finding and burning backups for each game that i buy to kepp PB&J off of new discs).

Any links would be appreciated.

So far the tutorial that i like is this one: http://wehackwii.pbwiki.com/News+-+System+Menu+v4

Also, i cant go online with the wii so is a local install an option?

Thanks very much guys..

2. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    i guess i forgot to say please.

I read through the stickies and i didnt see any one single guide for what i was looking for. all i need is some pointers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    install CIOS 36 rev 09 and use waninkoko's updater.

4. ThaDraGun

Member ThaDraGun GBAtemp Regular

Canada

I wanted to update too.. and keep all the features I already have. I can install wads, I can use the USB loader 1.1 without problems etc. The only thing that won't work with my setup is a large sd card and trucha discs.

Where is waninkoko's updater? I tried doing a search on the forums but it comes up with 16 pages and I can't find the right post.

5. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    not to be too picky with your helpful advice but cant i follow the advice on the link i gave, as long as i replace cIOS36 rev8 with cIOS36 rev9 (found here http://www.tehskeen.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=3672)

and where do i find waninkoko's updater?

6. ThaDraGun

Member ThaDraGun GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I finally found the updater on another wii forum and it doesnt look too promising. At least two people in the post have bricked thier wiis from it. Not partial brick, but a full brick. Also someone posted this about it:

"Just out of curiosity, why does everyone have such a hard on to do this update? You are only losing functionality when it comes to homebrew so, unless you have a bunch of legitimately purchased V.C. content you want to trasfer SD card, there is nothing to be gained by installing it." xiaNaix

Is there any advantages to installing 4.0? or just disadvanatages?

7. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    click my sig. my tutorial is the easyist if your a noob at wii Homebrew

8. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    From everything i've read bricks come about from wani's loader because people never had enough space free, it SPECIFICALLY says you must have 150-250 blocks free on your wii to use it. Also in regards to being able to install illegitimate WADs and stuff I believe you need IOS60.