Homebrew How to restore old Wii U system from redNAND

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently accidentally updated to 5.5.2 on my Wii U. Yet, I also have an SD card where I run my system on redNAND via Mocha CFW. When I run the system from this SD card, the version is 5.5.1.

Is there a way that I could copy the redNAND system files from my SD card to my Wii U so that I could downgrade my system? I'm not sure which files I would need to copy for this to work or if I need to patch some other system files on the Wii U itself. FYI, I have FTPiiU so that I can browse and modify my Wii U filesystem.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently accidentally updated to 5.5.2 on my Wii U. Yet, I also have an SD card where I run my system on redNAND via Mocha CFW. When I run the system from this SD card, the version is 5.5.1.

Is there a way that I could copy the redNAND system files from my SD card to my Wii U so that I could downgrade my system? I'm not sure which files I would need to copy for this to work or if I need to patch some other system files on the Wii U itself. FYI, I have FTPiiU so that I can browse and modify my Wii U filesystem.

I don't believe you can.

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason why you need/want redNAND?

First of all, I've already got it set up so it's what I'm sticking with.
Secondly, I like having some peace of mind when I do weird experiments that I won't be bricking the Wii U itself. So long as I'm on redNAND.

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i'll find it somewhere, I'm not at home right now but i'll find the source. I've been told by multiple people about it randomly bricking their consoles.
Alright, thanks. I sure would appreciate knowing more about that.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this irreversible brick happen to mine. basically it got stuck in Rednand boot would not connect to tablet or controllers and kept loading an error when it finally would connect. its error 150-2031 I believe kept not loading any games either. Nintendo said it was a disc problem but it basically changed the console to region lock everything

Last edited by Zonark,

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this irreversible brick happen to mine. basically it got stuck in Rednand boot would not connect to tablet or controllers and kept loading an error when it finally would connect. its error 150-2031 I believe kept not loading any games either. Nintendo said it was a disc problem but it basically changed the console to region lock everything
Any idea what caused that or did it just happen completely out of the blue?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yip it is actually easier to brick rednand than ot is the sysnand. Rednand has always been very unstable on wiiu and it can break for absolutely no reason that is why most people on this site tell you not to use rednand.

Abespada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah but you would brick the RedNAND, not the SysNand nor the Wii U itself right ? I'm using RedNand for a year now and never got any problems, I've unlinked my RedNand from my SysNand, and back to that time, everyone was saying that redNand was safer, so what happened ? I don't understand :/

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yip it is actually easier to brick rednand than ot is the sysnand. Rednand has always been very unstable on wiiu and it can break for absolutely no reason that is why most people on this site tell you not to use rednand.

Well, I imagine (at least, I hope) that it's not completely random...
Again, I appreciate any info that anyone can dig up on this. Is it a bug in Mocha or other homebrew software?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah but you would brick the RedNAND, not the SysNand nor the Wii U itself right ? I'm using RedNand for a year now and never got any problems, I've unlinked my RedNand from my SysNand, and back to that time, everyone was saying that redNand was safer, so what happened ? I don't understand :/

Yes, I had heard the same thing back when I got started with Wii U homebrew. Never heard anything about these (semi)random bricks out of nowhere.

Last edited by 0xfff,

0xfff

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has haxchi to do with wii vc?
You can use haxchi as entrypoint to mocha and rednand. Would be the best option for your needs

Not sure why, but redNAND causes vWii to not work. Mind you, that's redNAND I'm talking about, not Haxchi exploits in general.
Also, I do use Haxchi as an entry point to Mocha and redNAND.

Chakratos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then i don't get your Problem.
Use haxchi for your 5.5.2 stuff (including wiiVc) and go into rednand (with haxchi too) if you wanna play around.

Haxchi fw has all patches you might ever need.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea what caused that or did it just happen completely out of the blue?
Essentially it was in the process of executing a game. it basically was playing fine then froze. the system then seized to exist and die. causing the issues I had. from what I understand there is no way to recover. basically it read a certain area and bricked it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.