How to make a NAND dump?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Daniel Sahr, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Daniel Sahr
    OP

Daniel Sahr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Title. I'm on 10.7 with OOT Hax looking to downgrade.

2. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    You can't make a nand dump until after you've downgraded. But once you're on 9.2 you'll be able to run Decrypt9, which will do the trick for ya.

Daniel Sahr likes this.
  3. Daniel Sahr
    OP

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    New York
    So what risks do I run without a backup?

4. LordStarkiller

LordStarkiller GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    If you don't have a backup then if something goes wrong then you'll be left with an epensive paperweight i.e. a bricked system.

Last edited by LordStarkiller, Mar 16, 2016
    Daniel Sahr likes this.
  5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    The other way to make a NAND backup without a downgrade is to make or get a hardmod done on your 3DS, but that can either be expensive (~$50 for someone to do it in the US for you), or risky, if you're not competent with a soldering iron.

Daniel Sahr likes this.
  6. Daniel Sahr
    OP

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    New York
    I don't think hardmoding is an option for me, so I guess I'll just risk the downgrade.

7. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    A very slight chance of bricking, though I honestly can't remember the last time I've even seen anyone truly brick when doing a downgrade.

Semibricking is the next possible hangup that could occur, but that can be fixed by using recovery mode to go back to 10.7 then attempting the downgrade again.

A partial downgrade could also occur, but that's fixed by just running the downgrader again to complete the downgrade.

And last of all, the downgrade could go off without a hitch and you'll be sitting happy on 9.2. Given how much better the downgraders are now compared to how they used to be, this is the most likely outcome.

8. LordStarkiller

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    I recommend SafeSysupdater if you're going that route. It gives you the LOWEST chance of a brick though as FenrirWolf said, the downgraders available now as opposed to earlier ones are more idiot-proof.

9. Daniel Sahr
    OP

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Cool! I'll try it later. Anything else I need to know before I try it?

10. LordStarkiller

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    I recommend this guide to help you through the process. It will tell you what files you need and where to get them: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

Also and I cannot stress this enough, get the files that correspond to your system! If you have an orignal model 3DS then get the files for that, if you have a New 3DS then get those. Using New files on Old and vice versa is a recipe for disaster.