How to label micro sd cards?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
so i have several cards that look exactly the same (bought them at the same time)
i usually just shove them in one device (like flashcart) and will use for that device, but sometimes when backing up or putting new stuff in them (or organize) i end up with more than 1 card in my desk and now since they look all the same i end up mixing them and need to check in the pc to know what i used that for

i thought about putting a little tape but it makes the card more thick which may cause: difficulty of inserting it, tape get stuck inside micro sd slot, contact issues..
the cards are also usually black, so i can't simply use a pen.. unless i search for a white one

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
so i have several cards that look exactly the same (bought them at the same time)
i usually just shove them in one device (like flashcart) and will use for that device, but sometimes when backing up or putting new stuff in them (or organize) i end up with more than 1 card in my desk and now since they look all the same i end up mixing them and need to check in the pc to know what i used that for

i thought about putting a little tape but it makes the card more thick which may cause: difficulty of inserting it, tape get stuck inside micro sd slot, contact issues..
the cards are also usually black, so i can't simply use a pen.. unless i search for a white one
Put them in a dedicated MicroSD adapter for each and stick a label on the MicroSD adapter. Easier than trying to label a tiny MicroSD card.

Reactions: Quantumcat

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a tiny little box for each card and label each box.

wait this is just a crappier version of jdbye's idea...

If you can get those microSD to regular SD adapters, then you can label those without much of a problem.

....wait that's still just a shitty version of that idea

hmmmm........

You can change the volume label for storage devices, which doesn't negate the need to put it in a PC to check but SHOULD make it a bit faster.

Just go and rename the device like you would any folder or file.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Just write on them with a permanent marker and learn to read black over black.
(PS: anything written with a white acrylic marker will probably peel off after the first usage)
black over black, is that a real idea? i guess it may kinda work... hard to read but it's something

Use a highlighter to color code them.
thanks, didn't occurred to me about highlighters... does the paint stick?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
black over black, is that a real idea? i guess it may kinda work... hard to read but it's something

It's a terrible idea, but it will work.
I did it a long time ago, and I really needed to put it under direct sunlight (or near to a lamp) to make out what I wrote on it.
Regarding highlighters, I am not so sure if they will work, what about permanent oil-based markers, like white tyre/tire markers (but perhaps they will also end up fading away).

Final suggestion (meh), change brands, buy everything Samsung, like Samsung EVO, they always come in light colors (e.g. grey and orange), and sure you could easily see something written on those with a black permanent marker.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
D

Deleted User

I just use a permanent marker and draw a different litle patern on each
you can just look at the shiny spots to tell which is which

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Final suggestion (meh), change brands, buy everything Samsung, like Samsung EVO, they always come in light colors (e.g. grey and orange), and sure you could easily see something written on those with a black permanent marker.
i just bought new ones :C not going to buy a thing because of it's colour lol
i am thinking in applying a layer of marker eraser, or that tape eraser thing.. it's thin enough to don't interfere..

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i just bought new ones :C not going to buy a thing because of it's colour lol
i am thinking in applying a layer of marker eraser, or that tape eraser thing.. it's thin enough to don't interfere..
Try that, but I think the typical marker eraser is acrylic, and that thing breaks apart and falls very easily when brushed. Perhaps the colored oil based permanent markers (white color, etc.) don't have that problem.

Reactions: migles

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country

If you go with these, I doubt it will stick.
Highlighter-3.jpg

It will probably only show on the white printing. Which could be cool.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
if i would do that i could simply get a card storage holder and put stickers in the holder https://www.amazon.com/Micro-SD-card-holder-YELLOW/dp/B003F2K6MC
i wanted to label the cards directly, so when i have them in my desk i can avoid the step of putting them somewhere to keep track of it's contents..
Well, I prefer putting the MicroSD cards into something anyway because they are really hard to keep track of and easy to drop/lose otherwise. Putting them into adapters makes it more manageable. But sure, one of those holders is a good idea too, at least then you have everything in one place and it's hard to lose cards (unless you lose all of them)
I used a label printer to mark one of my MicroSD adapters (since I have two identical 128GB cards and they're pretty much the only identical cards I have, I needed a way to distinguish them)
So far the label has not come off from use, it's thin enough that it doesn't affect usage (if you plug it in to something while still in the adapter), but it's still easy to remove if you wanted to repurpose the card. So that's worth noting.
Get a tiny little box for each card and label each box.

wait this is just a crappier version of jdbye's idea...

If you can get those microSD to regular SD adapters, then you can label those without much of a problem.

....wait that's still just a shitty version of that idea

hmmmm........

You can change the volume label for storage devices, which doesn't negate the need to put it in a PC to check but SHOULD make it a bit faster.

Just go and rename the device like you would any folder or file.
That might be hit and miss. At least in my case the volume name does not always update like it should for removable devices. Sometimes it doesn't show a name, sometimes it shows the correct name, sometimes it even shows the name of the previous card that was plugged in. And when the name is changed (either from a format or manually) the changes aren't always reflected immediately. That's why I also put a text file with the name/description of the card as the filename on the root of the drive.

0ByteSolutions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed this has been idle for a little while, but I have been fighting this lack in the industry for years.

I could never write that small (or neat), so I created a label template for MS Word (2016) that I can type in, then print to Avery 5520 labels. They are thin, water-resistant and easy to remove (if/when needed). It also works with the 5160 labels, but I find them to be just a little too thick. The only 'hard part' is using the scissors to cut on the dotted lines. But, at least I have actual labels on my micro sd cards, not writing, not high-lighter...

I tried to add it as an attachment to this post but, since I just signed up, the system won't let me. If anyone would like a copy of it, let me know and I can try to re-attach it later.

Here is a photo example of the results:
example.jpg

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Avery 5160 - SD + MicroSD Labels.7z
    20.5 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: migles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat