Tutorial  Updated

How to install the exFAT driver without updating!

This guide is outdated, use this easier guide instead: guide, original thread: ChoiDujourNX

Warning: Use at your own risk, using a wrong version of a game dump could prevent the console from booting.

Warning: Because we install the driver without ever requesting this from Nintendo, this could be detected if you go online and result in a ban.

Intro:

How to install the exFAT driver without updating you console.
I used the game dump "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox" on my 3.0.2 Switch.
I'm assuming you know how FG works and how to send payloads to the console before proceeding.

There are two methods of installing this:
1, Stock: Installing it to the system like a cartridge would. This works on stock firmware but exFAT support would be lost after a system update.
2, CFW: When booting Horizon via hekate, a .kip1 file will be injected. The console's eMMC remains unaltered and will not have the driver loaded when booting normally and not via hekate.

Method 1, Stock:

Necessities:

- A console with firmware version 2.0 or higher (does not work on 1.0.0)
- A Game dump with an update on it that is the same version as the console (tested: trimmed xci works)
- Switch encryption keys (these can't be shared, Google 'nswroms' to find them)
- patch.zip: link
- TegraRcmGUI / TegraRcmSmash (TegraRcmGUI)
- memloader (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
- HacDiskMount (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)

Steps:

step 1: Copy the contents of the sample directory of memloaderv1.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 2: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 3: Inject the memloader.bin payload that is located inside of memloaderv1.zip.
step 4: Select 'ums_emmc.ini' by navigating with the volume buttons and confirming with the power button.
step 5: open HacDiskMount as administrator and select 'Linux UMS disk 0':
9niP3aA.png
step 6: Double click BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main and a window will pop-up:
jl6PSBZ.png
step 7: Use the 'Start' button in the 'Dump to file' section to extract the partition.
step 8: (!) Create a backup of BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin and store it somewhere safe.
step 9: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 10: Copy the game dump and BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin to the same directory.
step 11: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 12: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 13: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch.bat file.
step 14: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
qfxpqd7.png

(The number of bytes can vary)
(Don't worry about the 'Failed to match key' warnings)
step 15: Go back to HacDiskMount and click on 'Browse' in the 'Restore from file' section and select BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin that we just patched.
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).
step 18: Hold the power button on your Switch for 12 seconds to turn it off and then boot it again to see the results!

Results:

Before:
eJvxiBb.jpg

H0NszhP.jpg

After:
B5BL3UT.jpg

dqmIIc4.png

Credits:

@Raugo for creating the original Spanish tutotial: link

Method 2, CFW:

Necessities:

- Everything from method 1, except: memloader and HacDiskMount
- sdfiles.zip (https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases)
- hekate (https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases)

Steps:

step 1: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 2: Copy the game dump to the same directory.
step 3: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 4: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 6: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch-cfw.bat file.
step 7: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
8tVdyio.png

step 8: Copy the file FS.kip1 that was just created in the 'out' directory, to the root of your SD card.
step 8: Copy the contents of sdfiles.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 9: On your SD card, open hekate_ipl.ini inside of a text editor.
step 10: Add the following line below each boot entry that you want to inject:
Code:
kip1=FS.kip1
A boot entry is a line that starts with [ and ends with ], for example:
Code:
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=FS.kip1
step 11: Put the SD card back into your Switch.
step 12: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 13: Inject the hekate.bin payload

After booting hekate and selecting either 'stock' or 'CFW' from the 'Launch firmware' section, the exFAT driver will be injected!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello good people of this fine site, I've been at a lost for the past few days. I pray that someone may have a solution to my problem. So I am new to the Nintendo Switch mods but I do have a little experience in modding. So since I acquire a new used system at v6.0.0 I was using xecuter sx pro dongle and os v1.9 everything was working fine until I'd try to follow this procedure to bypass the system update for use of exFat format micro sd card. After updating the xci within the system, thinking that it will update the game to the system firmware. I then followed the steps and after I restore sub main partition with the patched main file, the system boots up to a black screen. I try to restore the backup main partition in both the Main and sub main partition with the same black screen at reboot. Then I tried to restore the backup main

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello good people of this fine site, I've been at a lost for the past few days. I pray that someone may have a solution to my problem. So I am new to the Nintendo Switch mods but I do have a little experience in modding. So since I acquire a new used system at v6.0.0 I was using xecuter sx pro dongle and os v1.9 everything was working fine until I'd try to follow this procedure to bypass the system update for use of exFat format micro sd card. After updating the xci within the system, thinking that it will update the game to the system firmware. I then followed the steps and after I restore sub main partition with the patched main file, the system boots up to a black screen. I try to restore the backup main partition in both the Main and sub main partition with the same black screen at reboot. Then I tried to restore the backup main

This guide is outdated. Hopefully you have a nand backup. I suggest contacting Canna here on the temp, as they may be able to help fix this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I updated the link.
But the tutorial is kind of out-dated anyway, you should use ChoiDujourNX instead.

Perhaps you should update the main article to say it's out of date and link to ChoiNX :)

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help...i am stuck on a black screen nintendo switch v6.0.0 after installing the patch as instructed in this tutorial. I tried to restore the main partition saved in the first dump. I've tried both to restore the saved file, first to both the main and sub partition with the same black screen at reboot. I ended up trying to restore the Main partition file to also the repair partition to no avail. I am praying that someone may have a fix for this dilemma. I thank you for your time

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please help...i am stuck on a black screen nintendo switch v6.0.0 after installing the patch as instructed in this tutorial. I tried to restore the main partition saved in the first dump. I've tried both to restore the saved file, first to both the main and sub partition with the same black screen at reboot. I ended up trying to restore the Main partition file to also the repair partition to no avail. I am praying that someone may have a fix for this dilemma. I thank you for your time

Message @Canna

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I can still access hekate payloads as well as access the hac-diskmount connection. I was using the xecuter sx pro dongle and os v1.9 after trying to boot it's payload I am greeted with the initial executer sx pro image only to blackout to a black screen..please help

NuelhWEL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Through some more trial an error fixes I have managed to restore the system to working order. I simply restore the correct main partition dump and it started right up, thank goodness. But I am still at a lost at finding an xci file with the same firmware as v6.0.0 to use exFat micro as card. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Through some more trial an error fixes I have managed to restore the system to working order. I simply restore the correct main partition dump and it started right up, thank goodness. But I am still at a lost at finding an xci file with the same firmware as v6.0.0 to use exFat micro as card. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks

There are no games with the 6.0 update yet. You need to connect online or use choidujoirNX. The files for the latter can be found on xbins.

If you care about downgrading use the latter

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
So I think I just bricked my Switch. I was doing the Method and got to around step 15 but my XCI Dump wouldn't patch, I kept getting an error.
I disconnected the Switch and now I can't turn it off and it just has a blank screen. I didn't patch anything so I don't know what happened...

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I think I just bricked my Switch. I was doing the Method and got to around step 15 but my XCI Dump wouldn't patch, I kept getting an error.
I disconnected the Switch and now I can't turn it off and it just has a blank screen. I didn't patch anything so I don't know what happened...

did you backup your nand beforehand?

@riyyi Please update OP linking to ChoiNX

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow it worked!! It turned off at exactly 15secs! Thanks so much. I guess I'm giving up on exFat tough. Didn't think it would be so much trouble :(
I'm on 5.1

check you can still boot normally? If you can and can still launch using RCM then boot CFW then I highly recommend if you want exfat to use ChoiNX

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
check you can still boot normally? If you can and can still launch using RCM then boot CFW then I highly recommend if you want exfat to use ChoiNX

Thanks but I'm trying to set up the OS SX, that's the one my friend told me to use and even lent me the little Jig for the rail. If I try more CFW I'll probably mess it up :(

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
SX OS is probably the worst CFW you can use. The free ones are more stable and better than it.

Wow really? I heard the opposite. Most of my back ups are XCI and and a couple of eShop NSPs, I just wanted to load directly from the Micro SD card and have them load in the Switch menu like regular games. What CFW do you recommend? I'm on 5.1

Also why is OS SX considered so bad?

Last edited by Zeriel,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow really? I heard the opposite. Most of my back ups are XCI and and a couple of eShop NSPs, I just wanted to load directly from the Micro SD card and have them load in the Switch menu like regular games. What CFW do you recommend? I'm on 5.1
SX OS has the most amount of issues compared to the other CFW. There are entire threads dedicated to games that do not run properly such as this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-os-2-0-firmware-6-0-list-of-games-not-working.519360/

Also .XCI are inferior to .NSP files in multiple ways. .NSP are faster and smaller than .XCI. You can also only install updates and DLC in .NSP format; they cannot be loaded using the .XCI format. Lastly, you can run .NSP files without an SD card unlike .XCI. As for CFW, ReiNX is the most-user friendly one of all. You can find a guide for it at https://reinx.guide/

If you are able to successfully load ReiNX, I would highly recommend checking out the homebrew app Adran Marit posted called ChoiDujourNX which can give you exFAT support on any firmware except 1.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: need to have official info from N