Tutorial  Updated

How to | Install SYS-Modules on your Nintendo Switch (kosmos/atlas CFW) :switch:

Hi all and welcome to my first ever tutorial on the GBATemp forum!
Some of you may know me from the PS3, and PS4 Scene, if you do, hello nice to see you :) if not, pleasure to meet you.

SYS-Modules are used to keep things running in the background of your Nintendo switch in the spare ram, these are used to perform some special tasks and functions which give a better user experience, such as allowing you to use controllers from other consoles, or FTP to your switch without opening any homebrew, or disabling the annoying SuperNag! The possibility are only limited by the devs ability/imagination, and of course the little free ram which is available to use for this function XD

Please let me know if you have any feedback or questions, so without further ado, lets get started!

Please see the video below for a graphical tutorial, i have also included a written tutorial below the video for those who prefer to read, or may not be able to watch the video :switch:

Written TUT:

What you will need:

- An exploitable Nintendo Switch running Atlas/Kosmos CFW

- A computer or device which can access your switch's SD card, and which has a text editor

- A good text editor (i HIGHLY recommend notepad++ as it works on many different platforms and it amazing... You can download it here - https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/)

- The SYS-Module you want to install
default_smile.png

- A way to enter RCM

Step 1: Make sure you meet the above requirements.

Step 2: Power down your switch and remove the SD card

Step 3: Place the SD card in the device you are using to complete this tutorial

Step 4: You will need to copy the SYS-Module into the appropriate directory which is in either of the following (/atmosphere/titles/) and (/atmosphere/contents/) If the module is compiled, it will come in a folder with a string of numbers and letters, you must place the folder with the numbers/letters into the previously stated directories. Once copied, open the folder with the random numbers and leters (for both contents and titles) and make sure that that there is a folder in there and a file called "exefs.nsp" if the .nsp file is names something else, make sure you rename it to "exefs.nsp"!

Step 5: Copy the name of the folder with the letters and numbers, keep this on your clip board we will need it shortly

Step 6: Go back to the root of the SD card and navigate to the following directory - /switch/kosmostoolbox/ - In here, you will see a file "Config.json" you will need to edit this. If you are using Notepad++ just right click and open with Notepad++

Step 7: Copy the last entry in the document, and paste it below to duplicate it. Then add a commer to the end of the previous entry to signify that there is another entry after that one. It will be something like the below extract

{
"name" : "sys-netcheat",
"tid" : "430000000000000A",
"requires_reboot": false
}

{
"name" : "sys-netcheat",
"tid" : "430000000000000A",
"requires_reboot": false
},

{
"name" : "sys-tweak",
"tid" : "1234567890EFA090",
"requires_reboot": true
}

Step 8: Change the details to match those of the module you are installing. For example:

- "name" should be how you want it to appear in the toolbox.

- "tid" is the title ID i had you copy earlier from the folder with letters and numbers which we placed in (/atmosphere/titles/) and (/atmosphere/contents/)

- If you do not know if the module required reboot, set that to true to be safe!

Step 9: Save the edited file and safely eject the SD and place it back into the switch.

Step 10: Boot into RCM and then into the atlas/Kosmos CFW

Step 11: Open the Homebrew Browser and then open "Kosmos Toolbox"

Step 12: Open "Background services" and then you should see your module there. If you cannot see your module, you may need to repeat the process again.

Step 13: Profit?

Hope it all worked out for you. If you have any issues, please drop me a comment down below! Goodluck everyone!

Phumbnail.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_19-11-20.gif
    upload_2020-1-22_19-11-20.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 744
  • upload_2020-1-22_19-11-20.gif
    upload_2020-1-22_19-11-20.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 468
Last edited by zapptheman,

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does this work on atmosphere without Kosmos? I'm getting a panic error when i try to open Background Services in Kosmos-Toolbx

Reactions: zapptheman

zapptheman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Does this work on atmosphere without Kosmos? I'm getting a panic error when i try to open Background Services in Kosmos-Toolbx

After further research, i believe it will work without kosmos, if you are running atmosphere, just make sure you follow all the steps the same, It should automatically be enabled if you copy the boot flag folder like i show in the video.

Are you getting the panic after trying this method, or was it the same before? you need to be running atlasNX in order to use the kosmos toolbox. The panic might be from making a mistake in the file which i showed you how to edit. What editor did you use to edit the file? if you used normal notepad instead of a proper text editor like notepad++, you would have likely damaged the file which would cause such results.

Let me know how you go and what happened :)

Reactions: Real.96

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
After further research, i believe it will work without kosmos, if you are running atmosphere, just make sure you follow all the steps the same, It should automatically be enabled if you copy the boot flag folder like i show in the video.

Are you getting the panic after trying this method, or was it the same before? you need to be running atlasNX in order to use the kosmos toolbox. The panic might be from making a mistake in the file which i showed you how to edit. What editor did you use to edit the file? if you used normal notepad instead of a proper text editor like notepad++, you would have likely damaged the file which would cause such results.

Let me know how you go and what happened :)
Thanks for the answer. I solved it, i was missing the "{ "sysmodules" : [" part at the beginning of the json file xD works perfectly on atmosphere

Reactions: zapptheman

zapptheman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer. I solved it, i was missing the "{ "sysmodules" : [" part at the beginning of the json file xD works perfectly on atmosphere

Ah yes! that'll do it haha.

Glad to see you have it working now mate! Also happy to hear it works on atmosphere, hopefully this information will prove useful for more people, as i have had a few ask so far.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah yes! that'll do it haha.

Glad to see you have it working now mate! Also happy to hear it works on atmosphere, hopefully this information will prove useful for more people, as i have had a few ask so far.
Reboot to hekate option gives me instant crash anyway xD

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is all odd behavior... did you correctly install kosmos and hekate? if you have not done so, it could be the reason why you are having these issues.
I'm not using kosmos, maybe this can be the problem. I correctly set up Hekate
The important part was the sys-modules handling anyway, so i'm happy xD

zapptheman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not using kosmos, maybe this can be the problem. I correctly set up Hekate
The important part was the sys-modules handling anyway, so i'm happy xD

Yeah since atmosphere natively supports the modules, its great :) now we know how to enable them without kosmos haha. Hard to find this information around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Psi likes Cream Pie I hear