Hacking How to install Steam and R* Launcher on L4T Ubuntu?

Feox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi guys. I'm new to GBAtemp so I'm not sure if there is a more suitable forum for this so sorry if I'm on the wrong forum. I would like to know how to install Steam and R * Launcher on Ubuntu and what are the lines of codes to type in the Terminal to achieve this because I would like to test the experience of a fully portable GTA V and a few other PC games.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You can't.

The Switch runs on ARM, whereas PC games like GTA V and launchers like Steam only run on x86 CPUs. There is no way to play any PC games on Ubuntu on Switch unless it specifically supports Ubuntu ARM, which basically none do.*

*not counting the obvious DOS and x86 wrappers/emulators, of course.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Feox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Good evening Tom Bombadildo. I thought that despite the fact (yes I'm learning C ++ to be able to code my first Homebrew Switch so I had always known that the Switch had an ARM processor) that we could still do it. I have a question then however which is that PCs under Win 10 like mine in ARM 64 have something different than the Switch and that L4T like them can very well execute all types of files which are encoded or not in 64 bits and how then can the PC do it but not L4T?

EDIT:
EDIT: I don't know why, having posted this message, I have 2 files of which I know absolutely nothing that are put in my post.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-25_17-24-41.png
    upload_2021-5-25_17-24-41.png
    312 bytes · Views: 147
  • upload_2021-5-25_17-24-51.png
    upload_2021-5-25_17-24-51.png
    312 bytes · Views: 140
Last edited by Feox,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Good evening Tom Bombadildo. I thought that despite the fact (yes I'm learning C ++ to be able to code my first Homebrew Switch so I had always known that the Switch had an ARM processor) that we could still do it. I have a question then however which is that PCs under Win 10 like mine in ARM 64 have something different than the Switch and that L4T like them can very well execute all types of files which are encoded or not in 64 bits and how then can the PC do it but not L4T?

EDIT:
EDIT: I don't know why, having posted this message, I have 2 files of which I know absolutely nothing that are put in my post.
Windows 10 on ARM has an x86 emulator, but it's very slow. It's no good for gaming, or anything advanced like Photoshop.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Windows on ARM uses an x86 emulator to run those things, yes, however it's not something that's available on the Ubuntu ARM, AFAIK it's currently proprietary tech that's not publicly available anywhere else.

And, even if it was, the performance of ARM->x86 emulation is terrible. Back when Windows on ARM first released with x86 emulation, the performance of a Snapdragon 835 SoC (which has a CPU that's faster than a stock X1 and much faster than the Switch's gimped X1) was literally worse off than a potato entry level Celeron CPU. So even if someone was able to magically get an x86 emulator working on the Switch, you wouldn't even remotely be able to play GTA V. I doubt you'd even be able to play something like GTA SA for that matter.

If you want GTA V on Switch, your only option is to hope Rockstar decides to port the game to it...which I highly doubt. That or use game-streaming.

Feox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for letting me know about The Real Jdbye and Tom Bombadildo because I didn't know in detail how Ubuntu and Windows were structured for that (for the comparison of the two). Otherwise I already use Moonlight on Switchroot Android despite the poor performance of my PC (I7 6700HQ & GTX 960M). It was out of curiosity, just to see if we could go further still.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: Sorry for the stupid question but how on this forum do we mark the post as resolved? Very
sorry for the double post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips