How to install/run ANY Switch firmware UNOFFICIALLY (WITHOUT burning any fuses)

rajkosto Jun 15, 2018.

1. bunvinni

bunvinni Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    United States
    Hey ya'll .. so I've been trying to follow this guide and make it to the part where it's time to flash the boot w etcher and etcher just will NOT recognize my switch. It shows up as the Linux named disk drive in device manager and as drive G in disk management... however etcher just won't recognize it.. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
    nevermind, weirdly enough I only had to switch the usb port I was using....

Last edited by bunvinni, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 29, 2016
    My issues were to do with a cluttered keys file... i found the correct formatting and deleted all keys except those needed.

Now back on 7.0.1 Atmosphere!

Guide is actually VERY easy barring the PC side ChoiDujour part.

I downgraded to 6.1.0 then used ChoiDujourNX to upgrade to 7.0.1. Lost saves and data as system wouldn't boot without a reset but still. DOWNGRADED FROM 8.0!!

3. MattBlacK85

MattBlacK85 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hello,

I tried to downgrade from 8.0 to 6.0.1 with the guide. Every step went well, but i can’t boot the Switch. After the Launch of FS_XXX-exfat_nocmac_nogc nothing happens. I can see some text and green text at the end. (Ok steps?) But then the screen goes black.
    What to do to solve and boot to 6.0.1

Last edited by MattBlacK85, Apr 19, 2019
  4. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    DOWNGRADE TO 5.1.0 THEN UPGRADE FROM THERE...

5. MattBlacK85

MattBlacK85 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks, i will try. Can i downgrade directly from the (not working) 6.0.1 right now? Or do i have to restore my NAND backup from 8.0 first?

6. MattBlacK85

MattBlacK85 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the info. It worked. Updated to 7.0.1 after the downgrade

Canna likes this.
  7. lamirande1

lamirande1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi, sorry. I followed the guide correctly, I used the supported firmware and everything and when I launch the FS Exfat file, I get ''Initializing... Found pkg1 and Keyblob 4, Loaded pkg1 & keyblob. Then it stays like that forever.

8. lamirande1

lamirande1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I tried again and now I get No Mandatory secmon or warmboot provided!
    Failed to launch firmware. I think this might be my SD card at this point?
    EDIT: nvm.

Last edited by lamirande1, May 9, 2019
  9. Iulian

Iulian Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Gambia, The
    i followed the guide, but i anyway get a black screen, as far i encountered no errors, i just had to delete some KEK keys from my keys.dat.... eeerm what to do? sry i wrote a long text, but than my keyboard deleted it here:-D

10. Iulian

Iulian Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Gambia, The
    what could i do now? EVERYTHING works, but i get after the "nintendo" logo only a black screen, the keys are all right, i used the 4.1.0 firmware. my god what i could do?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

eeeehm ok, now i just used the gelee payload, at least it started..... i dont care about the controller fw, because its anyway 4.1.0.

11. Irepairphl

Irepairphl Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2019
    United States
    I have successfully done this to get my switch working. How do I revert to stock and the latest FW?

12. CWade3051

CWade3051 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    I have SX OS installed via Emunand on a 512GB SDCard hidden partition and both Emunand and Sysnand are 7.0.1, when I try and open ChoiDujourNX in homebrew launcher inside my emunand so I can update it immediately crashes back to home brew launcher screen with no errors. The gbatemp post for it does say if it crashes immediately it’s probably due to debug svc not being accessible and to update hblauncher to latest version. I downloaded and copied the latest one and put it in switch folder and open it via sx is album and try launching Choi from there but get same issue. Anyone have any ideas?

13. Fragmon

Fragmon Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2019
    Germany
    I tried to install 5.1.0 i did all steps but when i will start FS510-exfat_nocmac_nogc there are an error "erro while loading kip1:.....wrong ini cfg or missing files! failed to launch firmware". Whats the problem?

Last edited by Fragmon, May 16, 2019
  14. Neo_

Neo_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    This works for creating a clean nand?

15. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Is this the method most people still use to update in order to play newer games (or updates that require newer FW) assuming they don't want to blow fuses? I used it to update to 6.2 some time ago, now I feel compelled to update to 7.0.1 but don't look forward to the process.

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you're a masochist, you can use this tool but unfortunately it doesn't support any firmware version higher than 6.2. ChoiDujourNX not only supports all firmware versions (unless Nintendo rewrites firmware installations) but it is much faster and easier to use than ChoiDujour.

galneon likes this.
  17. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Thanks! I had completely missed the thread for the new version.

Draxzelex likes this.
  18. Black_wizz

Black_wizz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    Bahrain
    Good evining all

I was trying to update my CFW and right know i cant boot any thing

I was using sx os

I try to use manual downgrade with pc but cant get the right keys at all i dont know what i am missing

Evert time i try to run CFW from hekate i get message the package2 cant be decrypt

I burn 9 fused already and i am on frimware 8.0.1

When i try to backup nand i get fails with 00 01 02 ...

When i try to use hactool keylob key error

What i am missing

19. Black_wizz
    This message by Black_wizz has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 28, 2019, Reason: Bump.
    Jun 28, 2019
  20. Black_wizz

Black_wizz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    Bahrain

Its works

Thanks very much i got the latest key from google

21. fraggerman91

fraggerman91 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    I have a clean 6.0.0 nand and boot0/1 backup which I restored but I can't boot into stock. Only booting with atmosphere works which defeats the purpose because I went back to stock to play online. I tried this guide to create new boot0/1s and a clean nand but when I enter my bis keys into hacdiskmount they fail the test. Is there anything I can do?

It is not the fuse count. I have 6 burnt fuses which corresponds to 5.x so I should be able to boot stock 6.0.0 which I updated to without burning fuses before I went CFW.

Edit: Figured out why my keys where failing. I wasn't using the right keys for the lower entry. Gonna try creating my blank nand again.
    Edit2: Went through with all of the partition replacements but still can't boot into stock nor atmosphere now. Need to restore my backup now.

Edit3: I am a dumbass. This guide is for 5.1 and lower. I created a clean nand for 5.1 and it worked. Ty for this great guide. Now I gotta hope I don't get banned for updating to 6.0.0 a second time.

Last edited by fraggerman91, Jul 1, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted