Hacking How to have both Freedom and System Menu!

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi; I found a way to have both freedom beta2 and the official System Menu on the console, and to switch between them with preloader.

- If you don't already have preloader 0.29 installed, get it here and install it.
- You MUST have cIOS installed!
- Get FSToolbox and put it on the SD (/apps/FSToolbox/boot.dol).
- Get the freedom DOL and put it in the root of the SD (that's not the installer).
- With FSToolbox, navigate to title/00000001/00000002/content, select title.tmd and press 2, then change its IOS to IOS249 and confirm.
- Reset the console and hold reset pressed.
- Go to install/load file, select the Freedom DOL and install it.
- Go to Settings and set the System Menu IOS to 60.

Now, to make Freedom "replace" the system menu just select "Autoboot: File" and "Return to: preloader" in preloader settings. The original System Menu won't be touched.
smile.gif

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
you should edit it, people dont have to edit the tmd by hand they can do it in fstoolbox itself by setting the arrow on the TMD and pressing 1 and then selecting ios 249
wink.gif

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
nicksasa said:
you should edit it, people dont have to edit the tmd by hand they can do it in fstoolbox itself by setting the arrow on the TMD and pressing 1 and then selecting ios 249
wink.gif
If I press 1 on whatever TMD it codedumps here, with both IOS36 1042 and cIOS 14.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
why the hell do you change the IOS to 249 ?
This whole editing can easily lead to a brick!

It could. That's why you make sure you've got some kind of brick protection and be sure you know what you're getting into before doing something like this.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SanGor said:
why the hell do you change the IOS to 249 ?
This whole editing can easily lead to a brick!
If Freedom is loaded under IOS60, USB Loading, fakesigned WADs importing (and probably other stuff) won't work.

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SanGor said:
I'm talking about the TMD editing which causes preloader to be loaded wit IOS249 which is an unnecessary and dangerous step!
preloader and Freedom don't reload IOS, so Freedom gets loaded with the same IOS as preloader. I tested that myself.
It's as dangerous as the normal Freedom install: in both cases, uninstalling cIOS=brick.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like having preloader run off of IOS249
Now I don't have to worry as much when messing with things like cIOScorp or DOP IOS

Plus preloader now works with SDHC!
laugh.gif

Thanks, davi92

EDIT:
Preloader seems very unstable with IOS249
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks