• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So, I'm confused. I got this working by all accounts on Windows 7. I thought this worked like going to a Streetpass relay and you get a bunch of passes all at once. Is that now how this works? Do I need to keep this up and then I get them as people hit the streetpass relays? I get a message that a Nintendo Zone is available, I get an internet connection, it all appears to work, but I never get any passes. I tried a few from the MAC list in the google document.

You can try my script mentioned two posts before to cycle through the MACs on your Windows 7.

Steelskin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I followed the first method on Ubuntu Server 14.04. A few notes:
  • hostapd is broken on 14.04, had to install the deb file from 13.10
  • The first method in OP (nzone.sh) has one issue, it does not write the line "bssid=<MAC>" in the hostapd config file the first time, so further edits with "sed" do not actually modify it
  • For some reason "sudo /usr/local/bin/nzone.ap stop" does not work all the time, I had to manually kill all hostapd instances with "sudo killall hostapd" to actually stop the access point.
I would proposed a modified script but I don't really have the time right now, maybe this weekend if there's interest in it?

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
I followed the first method on Ubuntu Server 14.04. A few notes:
  • hostapd is broken on 14.04, had to install the deb file from 13.10
  • The first method in OP (nzone.sh) has one issue, it does not write the line "bssid=<MAC>" in the hostapd config file the first time, so further edits with "sed" do not actually modify it
  • For some reason "sudo /usr/local/bin/nzone.ap stop" does not work all the time, I had to manually kill all hostapd instances with "sudo killall hostapd" to actually stop the access point.
I would proposed a modified script but I don't really have the time right now, maybe this weekend if there's interest in it?
Duke_and I already know that :) we are currently trying to fix that. Thanks

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The first method in OP (nzone.sh) has one issue, it does not write the line "bssid=<MAC>" in the hostapd config file the first time, so further edits with "sed" do not actually modify it
bssid field was not used in Ubuntu hostapd, interface MAC change was enough. But'll add this change in the next version just in case the latest hostapd will normally use it.

Steelskin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
bssid field was not used in Ubuntu hostapd, interface MAC change was enough. But'll add this change in the next version just in case the latest hostapd will normally use it.

For some reason, it wasn't working for me on Trusty, with the interface change only. I had to add the bssid line or it was using the "hardware" MAC - and I was not getting any StreetPass as a result. I didn't try removing the interface change though.
Do keep in mind I'm using the 13.03 version of hostapd because the Trusty version simply does not work at all.

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
For some reason, it wasn't working for me on Trusty, with the interface change only. I had to add the bssid line or it was using the "hardware" MAC - and I was not getting any StreetPass as a result. I didn't try removing the interface change though.
Do keep in mind I'm using the 13.03 version of hostapd because the Trusty version simply does not work at all.
Was this your issue? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpa/+bug/1289047/

fenor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
actually on ubuntu 14.4 it isn't working for me. the error on the dmesg is "wlan0 link is not ready" is it tied to how hostapd try to use wlan0 or is it something else?

Steelskin

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Yup, that was the issue I had with hostapd in Trusty (fix below).
But it seems unrelated to the bssid issue I had with 13.03 hostapd.

actually on ubuntu 14.4 it isn't working for me. the error on the dmesg is "wlan0 link is not ready" is it tied to how hostapd try to use wlan0 or is it something else?
Here's what I had to do to fix it, this is an issue with hostapd in Trusty, not the script:
sudo apt-get hold hostapd
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/w/wpa/hostapd_1.0-3ubuntu2_amd64.deb
dpkg -i hostapd_1.0-3ubuntu2_amd64.deb

TexRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pinpointrg.com
XP
Country
United States
You are not actually at a nzone although the 3ds thinks it is, and will send the streetpass data along with the MAC that identifies the (spoofed) nzone to nintendo's servers. I guess when you are doing this for the very first time, no one else knows about your presence until they pick up your data when they hit the same address, so that might take longer. As long as the 3ds can connect to the internet via attwifi and the mac spoofing is working, you should be able to see the green light eventually as you cycle through the 160 addresses at 5 min intervals

I don't have anything to set up to cycle yet. I saw the post a few posts ago about a Win7 script, but I'm not exactly sure what it does, I need to look through it.

TexRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pinpointrg.com
XP
Country
United States
the script should do everything for you. just run it and your good to go

So, by all accounts I have things working. I appreciate the help, sorry to be the new guy that just shows up and stars hounding with questions.

So far I have, in Windows 7:

Installed Virtual Router

used the net sh command to create my adapter
set all my local wifi networks to not auto connect, and disconnected from other wifi networks
connected with an ethernet cable for internet access
used macshift to shift my MAC to the prime MAC
used virtual router to create attwifi, with a pass, started it, and connected my 3DS too it fine, test runs fine
When I close out of settings, it shows I have Internet and says I am at a Nintendo Zone
Closed my 3DS (is this really true, 3DS lid has to be closed to get streetpasses?)

That is where I am. I have the VB script ready to go, but I thought I'd at least get the prime MAC working before trying the script. It's been about 15mins and no green light.

EDIT: I am also confused, does this script just change MACs, or do everything? When I try and run it, it says no wireless interface found. I looked at the script, my wireless connection is the standard "Wireless Network Connection" which should fit the script parameters. I am running Win7 64bit if that makes any difference.

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
So, by all accounts I have things working. I appreciate the help, sorry to be the new guy that just shows up and stars hounding with questions.

Installed Virtual Router

set all my local wifi networks to not auto connect, and disconnected from other wifi networks
used virtual router to create attwifi, with a pass, started it, and connected my 3DS too it fine, test runs fine
When I close out of settings, it shows I have Internet and says I am at a Nintendo Zone
Closed my 3DS (is this really true, 3DS lid has to be closed to get streetpasses?)

That is where I am. I have the VB script ready to go, but I thought I'd at least get the prime MAC working before trying the script. It's been about 15mins and no green light.

EDIT: I am also confused, does this script just change MACs, or do everything? When I try and run it, it says no wireless interface found. I looked at the script, my wireless connection is the standard "Wireless Network Connection" which should fit the script parameters. I am running Win7 64bit if that makes any difference.
Everything, are you using 2 internet interfaces? and streetpasss happens with it open and closed.

TexRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pinpointrg.com
XP
Country
United States

Installed Virtual Router

So, I'm further confused by the original Win7 procedure that uses macshift and virtual router. The macshift says to shift your wifi adapter, but it seems like it should be shifting the MAC of the virtual adapter, no? I can shift my wifi adapter's mac, but trying to shift the virtual adapter says it works, but doesn't seem to work.

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I'm further confused by the original Win7 procedure that uses macshift and virtual router. The macshift says to shift your wifi adapter, but it seems like it should be shifting the MAC of the virtual adapter, no? I can shift my wifi adapter's mac, but trying to shift the virtual adapter says it works, but doesn't seem to work.
Nop it should be the REAL adapter to change mac

TexRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pinpointrg.com
XP
Country
United States
Everything, are you using 2 internet interfaces? and streetpasss happens with it open and closed.

No, I have a wired connection, and then one wireless adapter. I have lots of other adapters for various VPN clients, but none are in use, and none are named in a conflicting way to where the script would be confused by them.

TexRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pinpointrg.com
XP
Country
United States
Nop it should be the REAL adapter to change mac

In that case, I should be fine.

If I start the virtual router, with my 3DS closed, it never shows up as a connection in the Virtual Router, if it's open, it does. I saw other report of people having this doing a quick search. Regardless of this issue, I have tried with it open and closed.

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
In that case, I should be fine.

If I start the virtual router, with my 3DS closed, it never shows up as a connection in the Virtual Router, if it's open, it does. I saw other report of people having this doing a quick search. Regardless of this issue, I have tried with it open and closed.
try to open the browser on the 3ds and se if it connects. also check if some other device if the mac was changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far