Status
Not open for further replies.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
hey,

i have tried doing this on win7, but it seems the 3ds is not getting an ip

i can see on the virtual router that it does receive the request as i can see the 3ds mac on it. but then it fails to access it.

any suggestions?

On the drop down menu next to "shared connection" on the Virtual Router Manager program, make sure that the device that you have selected here is the one that your computer connects to the internet with.

If that doesn't work, stop and close the Virtual Router Manager program. Then try setting up everything via command prompt using the following commands.

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=12345678

Code:
macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" "macaddress"

Change "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" to the name of your physical wireless adaptor. Replace "macaddress" with the one that you want to set

Code:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Now setup internet connection sharing on the network adaptor that you use to connect to the internet with. Set the home networking connection to share the internet with as your virtual wireless adaptor.

I have some questions i hope someone can answer, i'd like to give my MAC address to some friends so we can streetpass between us, my question is: how could i do this? i think they could access through my modem but i'd prefer a different way, though if someone can detail me how to do this (giving access to my AP with my own MAC address using whatever method) it would be good too.

One option would be to use the default mac address for your hotspot for this purpose, just like with the people who have the personal mac address listed on the google spreadsheet. The other option would to generate a random mac address and use that, note that with windows 7 it looks like there is a restriction on what spoofed mac addresses you can set (http://lizardsystems.com/wiki/change_mac_address/faq/change_mac_address_in_windows_7)

It won't let me change my Wireless Adapter's Mac. I'm using windows 7 and D-Link DWA-140 USB dongle. It's teling me that the first octet has to start with 00 and I can't use 4E53504F4F46. Should I just get a new wireless adapter? Or can this be bypassed?

Did you get that error message after trying to use macshift to spoof the mac address?

Ackis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is a side effect of the mac cycling on the DD-WRT. Whenever I'm SSHed or using the web interface, I get kicked out pretty quickly and then I can't connect again until I do a hard reset on the router. Are others experiencing this, or am I special in some way?

Undispu7ed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get that error message after trying to use macshift to spoof the mac address?

No, after several hours of trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I downloaded TMAC instead to see if it would help any. After ipconfig /all and other methods of verification, I realized macshift wasn't changing the MAC address on my wireless USB adapter at all. Tried to do it with TMAC, and it said the first octet had to start with 0 and wouldn't let me do 4E

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think this is a side effect of the mac cycling on the DD-WRT. Whenever I'm SSHed or using the web interface, I get kicked out pretty quickly and then I can't connect again until I do a hard reset on the router. Are others experiencing this, or am I special in some way?

no problem here

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the drop down menu next to "shared connection" on the Virtual Router Manager program, make sure that the device that you have selected here is the one that your computer connects to the internet with.

If that doesn't work, stop and close the Virtual Router Manager program. Then try setting up everything via command prompt using the following commands.

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=12345678

Code:
macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" "macaddress"

Change "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" to the name of your physical wireless adaptor. Replace "macaddress" with the one that you want to set

Code:

Now setup internet connection sharing on the network adaptor that you use to connect to the internet with. Set the home networking connection to share the internet with as your virtual wireless adapto
thanks for the help,

yesterday actually got it working, i mean the 3ds could connect to that wifi, then i tried using the macycle program but it didnt seem to change any mac address so i used macshift by myself on the real wireless connection (the one that seems to be disconnected :unsure:) and went to sleep...

didnt got any street passes yet...

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just went reading up a bit and seen so many people waste their time with the Windows method that (and I have said it before, many times now ;) ) people are better off buying a cheap router (approximately €/$20,- is enough for a compatible router) and do it that way. You will not be disappointed (installing DD-WRT and the script only takes about 5 minutes) and you do not need to mess up your Windows configuration.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Out of curiosity, what is the default time period for MAC refreshes, assuming the user stays with * * * *...?
There is no default period! It is calculated by the script to equally spread all MACs on your list whithin one 8 hours cooldoen period with the equal delay between changes. Five stars on cron only points to that script is running . every minute 24x7. You do not need to worry about this period, the script changes MACs with optimal way to give you the most diverse streetpasses.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Wish dd-wrt would support wireless modems. :( Because that's all I have right now.
Also, why doesn't MAC cloning work? I thought it was used to spoof your MAC to the ISP, which should also mean the Internet as well.

acaciaKS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just went reading up a bit and seen so many people waste their time with the Windows method that (and I have said it before, many times now ;) ) people are better off buying a cheap router (approximately €/$20,- is enough for a compatible router) and do it that way. You will not be disappointed (installing DD-WRT and the script only takes about 5 minutes) and you do not need to mess up your Windows configuration.

That's a good suggestion. I have a 2WIRE modem/router and it might be the reason why I can't get the Windows method to work right (Internet okay, but no rSP after 100 hours!). Anyway, for newbies like myself, any particular recommendations? TIA.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

lllAlbertolll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Why to spend money when you can simply use Ubuntu? it isn't really hard to use, it's free and you can boot it from a Virtual Machine.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why to spend money when you can simply use Ubuntu? it isn't really hard to use, it's free and you can boot it from a Virtual Machine.

Because a lot of people do not want to disable their PC when getting streetpasses (even running it as a virtual machine, you won't be able to use your wifi card as you normally would, either way, you cripple your computer)? I for one do not like to do that and don't forget that when running an average PC 24/7 will cost you a lot in elecricity bills, when running it a month you will have exceeded the $/€20. But the most annoying thing with running Ubuntu is that you cannot run your PC as you normally could, who wants that? And a lot of people still seem to have problems going that way because of incompatibilies with certain wifi cards. The router way is simply the easiest way to go. And not everyone knows their way around Linux.

lllAlbertolll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because a lot of people do not want to disable their PC when getting streetpasses (even running it as a virtual machine, you won't be able to use your wifi card as you normally would, either way, you cripple your computer)? I for one do not like to do that and don't forget that when running an average PC 24/7 will cost you a lot in elecricity bills, when running it a month you will have exceeded the $/€20. But the most annoying thing with running Ubuntu is that you cannot run your PC as you normally could, who wants that? And a lot of people still seem to have problems going that way because of incompatibilies with certain wifi cards. The router way is simply the easiest way to go. And not everyone knows their way around Linux.

All those are valid arguments, except the electricity bill, because you use your computer a lot of time anyway and i don't think you would use your computer 24/7 just to streetpass, but well it is a valid argument too, still, learning your way through something new is satisfactory nonetheless. Just don't give up people.

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been trying to get this set up for several days, and had some lousy adventures (driver resets, reboots, Blue Screens (turns out it's a bad idea to change the Mac of an internet-connected Wireless adapter...), etc).
So far, I've gotten a single HomePass... and I'm not really sure why it worked.

So, I'd like to see if I'm even understanding all this right, so I can try to meet the rest of you guys! ^_^

Situation: I'm running Win7, using two Wireless adapters. One is always for internet (LinkSys), the other (D-Link) is always for... well, nothing, until now!
-I have LinkSys attached to Internet.
-I have D-Link's Mac Address set to 4E53504F4F46 (Went to Device Manager, settings, Advanced, changed it manually)
--Does it matter what D-Link's Mac is?
--D-Link is also nicknamed to Wi-Fi
-I have created a Virtual Hotspot, with the Network name of attwifi
--attwifi's mac address refuses to change... does this matter? or is it D-Link's that matters? Or am I wrong altogether?

3DS: has internet access via the hotspot, sees a "Nintendo Zone" (but can't use it as such).
The only Home Pass I've gotten seems to be because I added the Virtual Router's Mac to the Personal Mac List on the Google Spreadsheet...

I just don't get what I'm doing wrong...

Edit:
Okay... I'm going to try this, and hope I can get some feedback (and don't annoy someone...)Here's my "Homepass guide" that details what I've done to set up my Homepass, and yet I can't seem to get any Street Passes through it.

------------------------------------------------------------

PC (Win7/8) set-up in 9 steps:
Need an Internet connection (either wired or wireless)
Need an additionl wireless adapter (this will NOT be the one connected to the internet if you are using a wireless interent connection)

------------------

Wireless Adapter (for Hotspot)
1: Device Manager -> (non-internet adapter) -> Properties -> Advanced -> Network Address
Set Network Address (Mac Address) to: 4E53504F4F46

2: Network Connections -> Nickname (non-internet adapter) to "Wi-Fi"
This is only needed for using MACycle, otherwise you can name it whatever you want.

------------------

Virtual Hotspot 'adapter' setup

3: Open Command Prompt (AS ADMINISTRATOR)

4: enter:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=87654321
-Note: the SSID will be "attwifi"
-Note: the Password will be a WPA-2, with a Key of "87654321"

5: enter:
In Network Connections, you can now nickname it to "attwifi", for future convenience.

------------------

Enable Internet (via Internet connected adapter)

6: Network Connections -> (Internet adapter) -> Properties -> Sharing
Set Internet Sharing to ON.

7: open Network and Sharing Center, find your Internet connection, click it
Click Properties
Sharing -> turn on Sharing (choose attwifi's adapter, NOT the "Wi-Fi" adapter)

------------------

3DS Setup:
8: System Settings -> Internet Connections -> New Connection -> add "attwifi"
Test connection. You should get full Internet connection.

------------------

At this point, if you return to the main menu, you'll see the Nintendo Zone glowing! (may have to wait a bit for it to finish connecting)
Note: Nintendo Zone ITSELF will not work. But that's not this is meant to do in the first place.

Based on the Mac Address you set (in Step 1), you will spoof connecting to various Hotspots around the world, accessing the Street Pass data for that spot, and putting yours in!
Custom Mac Addresses can work too. If both people have the same one, then they will be able to Pass each other.

There is an 8-hour waiting limit for any given Mac Address (including custom ones).

------------------

Changing Mac Addresses

9: Download, extract (to where you want the program), and run MACycle.
This program will change the Mac Address for your "Wi-Fi" (nicknamed) wireless adapter automatically over a set amount of time, and between certain Mac Addresses.
-If you don't have your non-internet adapter nicknamed to Wi-Fi, this won't work for you. So just be sure to do step 2.
Don't set the timings too short. Since there is an 8-hour waiting period, unless you have a very long list of mac addresses, you'll cycle through and start hitting the same ones again, but unable to use them.

------------------------------------------------------------
END OF LINE

If anyone can see what I've done wrong here, PLEASE let me know what I need to do to fix it!

adiktus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try to explain.

A hosted network allows your wireless adapter to function as both a wireless adapter and a wireless hotspot at the same time. The problem with your connection is, you have two wireless adapters. Which of your wireless adapters will it use? If it uses your Linksys one, then no matter how many times you change the MAC address of your D-Link one, the hostednetwork's MAC address will depend on the Linksys one. If your hostednetwork uses the D-Link one, you can streetpass only one cycle. It's because once you change the MAC address of the D-Link, that adapter will be temporarily disabled, and the hostednetwork will look for another adapter, the Linksys one, and stick to that. In short, you cannot use two wireless adapters in this method.

But, you have a couple of choices to fix that:
1) Use only a single wireless adapter, which will connect to the internet and function as a hotspot at the same time. The problem with this is, everytime you change its MAC address, you will temporarily lose connection to the internet.
2) Use a virtual machine with either windows 7/8 or ubuntu on it. Use a bridged networking setting. In that VM, you will be able to connect to the internet via a virtual wired network. You can then use the other wireless adapter in that system. (This is what I'm currently using)
3) Buy a cheap router compatible with DD-WRT firmware and use that as the hotspot.

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, several questions at once:

That's doesn't sound right. Whenever I've done your first suggestion (have one adapter and change it's Mac), when I change the Mac I instantly get a Blue Screen (as well as lots of problems re-installing the adapter), so I can't see how that could work.
Also, when using the Virtual Router Manager, it seems to indicate that the Virtual Router doesn't switch between the two. Even looking at the information under Network Settings shows clearly that the Virtual Router is never using the Internet Adapter. So I find that hard to believe... (sorry, just saying what I see)
I never got a Street Pass through a set Mac Address in the first place, so I'd worry about that later. Besides, I could just reset things again with a new Mac Address. That's no bother to me.

But how can the same wireless adapter be connected to both the Internet-supplying modem AND the 3DS? They only get one active connection at a time.

I tried bridging between the two physical adapters, but that didn't do any visible good... Am I supposed to bridge between the Internet Adapter and the Virtual Adapter (I could't do that anyway)

No spare money for a router, or I'd consider it. (Also, my PC can't use it's cabled ethernet port, because Update can't find any working driver, and I can't find one manually) Hence I'm trying to do it with what I actually have.

lllAlbertolll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry, several questions at once:

That's doesn't sound right. Whenever I've done your first suggestion (have one adapter and change it's Mac), when I change the Mac I instantly get a Blue Screen (as well as lots of problems re-installing the adapter), so I can't see how that could work.
Also, when using the Virtual Router Manager, it seems to indicate that the Virtual Router doesn't switch between the two. Even looking at the information under Network Settings shows clearly that the Virtual Router is never using the Internet Adapter. So I find that hard to believe... (sorry, just saying what I see)
I never got a Street Pass through a set Mac Address in the first place, so I'd worry about that later. Besides, I could just reset things again with a new Mac Address. That's no bother to me.

But how can the same wireless adapter be connected to both the Internet-supplying modem AND the 3DS? They only get one active connection at a time.

I tried bridging between the two physical adapters, but that didn't do any visible good... Am I supposed to bridge between the Internet Adapter and the Virtual Adapter (I could't do that anyway)

No spare money for a router, or I'd consider it. (Also, my PC can't use it's cabled ethernet port, because Update can't find any working driver, and I can't find one manually) Hence I'm trying to do it with what I actually have.

With what you have you could use Linux, if you don't want that then i suggest to search for the drivers you need for the ethernet manually googling or try to update them from Control Panel>System and security>System>Device manager (at the left) expand (+) Net adapters, you can update drivers there right clicking the device. (sorry if the names i give you are not so accurate, i don't have Windows7 and my laptop with Win7 is in spanish) So you can use your ethernet port and elridge method.

JarieSuicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Linux is good, but too annoying to use.
-And that's how you do it normally. Not findable, as I said. (Nor would it matter in my situation. Has to be wireless)

I'm quite good with computers, and tinkering with them. This is just a new tinkering that I've not done before, and I don't see what's not working right.

I HAVE had a single Home Pass happen, but I'm not sure why. It's using the same layout as I had before, except I got it just a few minutes after posting my (annoyingly unchangeable) Mac Address that is generated for my Virtual Router (not either of the physical Adapters).
To note, that address is: 001EE5E7142D

Edit: I've just gotten my second Pass. Considering that I hadn't changed things since the first one, I'm going to say that my layout definitely 'does' work, if not accepting multiple macs (?). Now, could someone tell me why it is that I can't get more than just one every 8 hours?

Am I simply changing the wrong Mac Address? Whenever I check different guides, I get a different impression of what needs to be named what. The only consistantly obvious one is to name the Virtual Router's SSID to attwifi.

Is it the Virtual Router's Mac that's supposed to change, the Internet Adapter (whether cabled or not)'s Mac, or the Wireless Adapter for the Virtual Router's Mac? Or more than one?

What is actually incorrect with my 'self guide' I made, several posts back? Or, other than having a possible double-wireless system, is it correct?

Cheesecakey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been lurking this thread for weeks in attempts to get my Homepass working and after like 5+ hours of fiddling with it .. to no avail. I feel like I'm very close, I just can't find the one thing I'm doing wrong.

Running on Windows 7, running it entirely from the cmd prompt on a Netbook with on board wireless card, hardwired to my internet with an ethernet cable. Checked the drivers to make sure that it's viable and it is. Wireless on but disconnect the Netbook from it so it's not running from it.

1. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password -- gives me confirmation

2. Change the mac through the command prompt with macshift -- confirms

3. netsh wlan start hostednetwork -- it starts the network

It shows 'attwifi' on my list of internet connections but says that there's no internet available.

So when I load up my 3DS and input the information, it finds attwifi as a spot and I can select it. It connects my 3DS to the access point on steps 1 -> 2 in connection test .. but fails between the Access Point and the Internet on steps 2 -> 3. What am I doing wrong? ;_; I double checked that the pass is correct so it's not that.

I mean worse comes to worse I don't mind buying a cheap router but if I could get it to work like this it'd be awesome. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o