Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Was looking through my PCWorld Mag I got today and I saw a header that said "Hack Your Wii for Homebew Apps & Games". I just thought this was interesting and how they published these kind of things in the public magazines and such. I mean its no secret that you that you can hack a Wii but it wasn't something I'd expect in a PCWorld Mag.

Online Source

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems no one is afraid of Nintendo nowadays. But then again, they're always busy dealing with some patent lawsuit against them, so it must be hard to keep tabs on this kind of stuff.

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
What's funny is that the article suggests using the Twilight hack to enable the installation of the homebrew channel and etc.

Surely with out dated information like this, PC world may get a back lash of people trying to follow the guide and saying it doesn't work - if they have updated their wii firmware of course - and then, if PC world reply, the next post might be about using bannerbomb. Then more people may have problems, more articles released and then PC world site becomes a Wii hacking tutorial site ! LOL !

Obviously this won't happen, but y'know....

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
megatron_lives said:
What's funny is that the article suggests using the Twilight hack to enable the installation of the homebrew channel and etc.

Surely with out dated information like this, PC world may get a back lash of people trying to follow the guide and saying it doesn't work - if they have updated their wii firmware of course - and then, if PC world reply, the next post might be about using bannerbomb. Then more people may have problems, more articles released and then PC world site becomes a Wii hacking tutorial site ! LOL !

Obviously this won't happen, but y'know....
The one in the actual print magazine suggests the HackMii Installer, Bannerbomb v2, & an SD Card. Link updated. (I was looking at an old online article)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why would anyone want hack a Wii Guide? =P

It's always funny how a comma in the wrong place can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tk_saturn said:
Why would anyone want hack a Wii Guide? =P

It's always funny how a comma in the wrong place can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

Hmm I don't think it's the fault of a misplaced or missing comma.

PC World publishing this article is funny when you consider its already years into the Wii's lifespan. I think it's good. As long as they don't mention backup loaders they should be fine...

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am not so surprised as I have seen many articles on various websites that do not condone piracy, put up guides for "Getting the most out of your Wii" and turning it into a media centre and such.

zuron7

RBYG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I just read the article on their website and the guide isn't totally complete you know.
The only people to use that guide will be those "Noobs".It doesn't even tell us how to restore the Trucha Bug.The're going to brick the wii's of the people who follow that guide.

Anyways,I lol'd at this:
QUOTE said:
Big N plays a continuous cat-and-mouse game with Wii hackers, much like Apple does in the iPhone jailbreaking saga, but despite Nintendo's best efforts, the Wii Homebrew scene has matured, and the necessary software is easier to install than ever before. If you’re new to the game, here’s how to get it going.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
zuron7 said:
It doesn't even tell us how to restore the Trucha Bug.
That isn't necessary for a lot of homebrew. Don't expect PC World to explain backup loaders
tongue.gif

QUOTE(zuron7 @ Apr 20 2010, 08:44 AM) The're going to brick the wii's of the people who follow that guide.
No because it only tells to install the HBC -> no bricks

Anyway, it does lack some minor details (like the fact the bannerbomb can freeze, so you have to try the next version and how BootMii works/what it does) and made a mistake (you don't install bannerbomb).

Also, I'm surprised PC World published this. Ah well
tongue.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Um, are PCWorld really advocating the illegitimate hacking of a product that infact sell?

This just in, Nintendo pulls their Wii and DS range of hardware and software from PCWorld stores!

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rockstar said:
Hadriano said:
Kotaku posted a guide recently too about running games of a USB Loader.
Yeah i saw that one too, it was a usb loader gx tutorial and installing the wad
I know that USB Loaders provide methods of backing up your own wii games easily, but people BLATANTLY use USB Loader just to pirate games.

I mean how just disregard how illegal thatis?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hadriano said:
Kotaku posted a guide recently too about running games of a USB Loader.

Lifehacker too, I checked it and it was a very good and comprehensive guide.
This isn't looking good for Nintendo though, Wii is harder then DS to hack (more confusion), but with these guides popping up in quite mainstream channels, piracy will grow very fast on Wii.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its gained popularity esp since u dont need anything that a person would be normally using. Nintendo does not know about this very well i guess or else they would have said or done something. True, about homebrew but thats just the beginning and everyone know homebrew is usually a means to reach the "Goal"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHl4P7AXt0