How to get honest fashion advice?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,669
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
It can be hard to get an honest opinion at times. Sometimes others (including myself) are too afraid of offending you they don't tell you something you actually need to know. I've been trying to figure out where to go for honest advice on fashion.

Are my clothes too big, too small, don't suit? Is my hair too messy, is my dandruff visible? Do I need more perfume or deodorant? Or do I honestly look nice?

How do you find someone who knows what he or she is talking about and will actually answer the question without holding back?

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Find a hella blunt person. Blunt people are typically seen as "assholes" but they get straight to the point and are honest about it. Not everyone likes that but everyone needs a honest person.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wouldn't know about fashion advice but as for the "clothes too big / too small, messy/greasy hair, dandruff" stuff, and also if you're slouching, why not ask your parents or siblings? Granted, some people have fucked up family situations but in the majority of cases family members will just tell it straight and not bullshit you.

Find a hella blunt person. Blunt people are typically seen as "assholes" but they get straight to the point and are honest about it.
To be fair, assholes are often seen as assholes too.
There's a difference between constructive criticism and talking shit, and assholes often do the latter while claiming the former.

Reactions: Hatchetball

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could always some random people but than again everyone has different taste ....

My GF was allways running around like a clown and as I am one of those so called "assholes" I told her that she looks stupid and childish, now she often wears moderate cloth mainly with only 1-2 colors and black glasses instead of pink with blue dots oO

I guess she liked it before but I like it better now

Oh yeah I just remembered ... you can ask Alexa !
I think I did read that there is a version with a Camera which tells you if its okay or not XD

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Your family might tell you but others won't. You can tell if you're doing something wrong if you pay attention though. People can't help accidentally making comments or looking at particular parts of you even when they are trying to be polite.

For example I often wear my hair in a single plait down the back, because I ride a motorcycle and it's the only way to stop my hair from being annoying. A hair elastic will hurt my head pretty quickly under my helmet and if I leave it out it whips at my face, so it hurts, is distracting and often I can't see where I'm going! But, whenever I wear my hair out, or in a half-ponytail (top half in a small ponytail, rest out) people (who are used to seeing me in a plait) say, "oh, your hair looks nice today!". This is code for "you don't look that great in a plait or full ponytail!" When I realised this, I started re-doing my hair after I got to work and anywhere else where I can access a bathroom after arriving. You just have to pay attention to comments like these and any strange looks you get (e.g. if your shoes are really muddy you'll see people lingering their gaze at them briefly) and remember what you were wearing/doing in common when you got these comments/looks.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe learn what are backhanded complements? Usually those you want to avoid. I guess if you get them is a signal is not good for someone seeing it. :unsure:

Honestly I'm not good at the topic of fashion, I like what I like and feel comfortable, just being happy. I can't worry about someone not liking my clothes when I can afford them and they spend more money than they need on them. Have you ever been in a classroom where all people talk about is shoes? boys and girls always talking about shoes, meanwhile I was playing video games and no one noticed. :P

Is not a big deal if you get shoes some famous person wears cause it cost like over $200, and one scratch or drip of water gets them upset, so what do they do? Hide it away like a trophy or some "PRECIOUS" from lord of the rings. You buy something, use it. Don't treat it like a invaluable sacrifice for years to come.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Quantumcat

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Step 1. Fashion is probably the oldest con in the world* and can be treated as such if you want. At the same time enough people believe in it that you can still achieve some results within it if that is your game.

*if you ask 10 fashion people would you get largely the same result (and same result year on year), and how much empirical stuff can be taught about it? If it was a science/engineering discipline it would be similar and be able to be taught.

Anyway I am probably likened to what if stig of the dump fucked a wild man of the woods and had a baby, and my approach to clothes is they are there to prevent nakedness, hold stuff I want with me and possibly save me a bit when I am sliding down the road having fallen off something. I want them to last and want to be able to put them all in a washing machine at the end of the week and not have to worry about more than have I taken all the screws/money/whatever out of my pockets so I also consider that. At the same time I live in the UK (early July and it is an unbearable 26C in this room, at the same time we have not had good snow in a few years at this point) so seasonal is not really a thing worth considering from a practical perspective.

Beyond that most people don't care what I look like when I turn up as long as I fix their problem, and more than once I have walked away from somewhere with a dress code. Likewise part of the "enough people believe" thing above is people expect less and otherwise ignore those dressed further from high fashion. This state of affairs suits me just fine so I am probably out here.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I would say to ask kids however nowadays they are not that honest...

find a nice kid: he will say you look good, or tell you what they like more (usually something that he can wear, or will point you to the higher price tags, or will make you look like a gangster)
find a normal kid: are you gay or a pedo? fuck you, suck my dick

find someone you trust (never ever trust people that sells) ask them to be honest,
or ask "what could i do to make me look better" instead if you look bad
they will not tell directly your clothes suck, but with this trick they may tell you what is wrong

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?