Hacking <How-To>Get Homebrew up and running using the Twilight Hack.

mgg-thunder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have followed this guide to the letter and tried other guides, maybe im just a retard but i cant get homebrew to install. when i instigate the twilight hack the black screen with white writting comes up and does one of two things. either it says "can't read .elf" or after i reformated it again using a different program to reformat in fat16 instead of my computer formating system it says "start cluster = ffff". i've been trying to get this working for a few days now and its at the point where i've just had enough
hate2.gif
someone please help me out

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
i have followed this guide to the letter and tried other guides, maybe im just a retard but i cant get homebrew to install. when i instigate the twilight hack the black screen with white writting comes up and does one of two things. either it says "can't read .elf" or after i reformated it again using a different program to reformat in fat16 instead of my computer formating system it says "start cluster = ffff". i've been trying to get this working for a few days now and its at the point where i've just had enough someone please help me out
Use a different SD Card, what size is it, windows formats still work, i use them
smile.gif

CapeCrusader

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I am not only a NOOB but a complete idiot. I bought a Wii for Christmas and I thought I was doing the right thing by setting up the Wii with my wireless router so that come Christmas morning it will be easy to get the games up and running. While setting up the Wii I see that there are updates to be had and being that I have a PC background where updates are a good thing I went ahead and updated the Wii and downloaded the newest channels. Now I find out after searching the net for cracks and hacks I did the most stupidest thing I could have done. My question is I have downloaded the latest Twilight hack (3.4: twilight-hack-v0.1-beta2.zip) and HomeBrew Channel (homebrew_channel-1.0.1.tar.gz) from The Homebrew channel website. What I do not understand is I have read that the new 3.4 system erases the Twilighthack upon reboot. If that is the case then how do I then load the Homebrew channel if the Twilighthack is erased from the Wii system? The other thing is the instructions say to leave the the file as a .dol file and not rename it as a .elf file. All I have read refers to the .elf file. Please help an idiot

Homebrew installation instructions from the homebrew_channel-1.0.1.tar.gz readme file

Installation instructions:

The suggested way to install the Homebrew Channel is by using Zelda: The
Twilight Pricess with the Twilight Hack, which is available at
http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Twilight_Hack. After installing the
Twilight Hack savegame, format an SD card (as FAT16; must be

gn3xu5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
Sorry if any of this has been answered before but, I am new to this and have been reading these threads and pages for what seems like way too long. And I am confused because there are so many answers and downloads and apps and updates etc.
So I have a Wii with a solderless chip that works. Can I install Homebrew on my Wii without TP hack since I have a working Mod chip with 3.4u ? If I need TP can I rent it or what copy do I need?

Rm88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm currently the biggest n00b >_< I have some questions:

1- Is it possible for my Wii to brick if I update after installing homebrew? I really want to be able to update...
2- Is there a way Nintendo could ban my Wii? I want to be able to use the Wii Shop Channel.
3- Is there a way I could brick my Wii by installing/using emulators?
4- It looks like my Wii will be safe as long as I play only NTSC games, right?

Thanks in advance!

ryan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I have a probably stupid question...

My firmware is 3.4, so will this method still work? If not, is it still possible to install the Homebrew Channel?

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ryan said:
Hey, I have a probably stupid question...

My firmware is 3.4, so will this method still work? If not, is it still possible to install the Homebrew Channel?

Yes, it will work, although you'll need to download the latest beta for the Twilight Hack in order to make it work with 3.4. Besides that, the procedure to install the HBC is the same as with any other version.

PS: This is my first post giving help for Wii-related issues, yay!
smileipb2.png

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now that I have everything done, I'd like to turn on the WiiConnect24 feature to have access to the Weather and News Channels, but I fear it will try to download new updates from time to time, screwing up the softmod. Is there any safe combination of WC24 and softmod?

Snowknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey R. said:
Now that I have everything done, I'd like to turn on the WiiConnect24 feature to have access to the Weather and News Channels, but I fear it will try to download new updates from time to time, screwing up the softmod. Is there any safe combination of WC24 and softmod?

I've seen a lot of information recently regarding the debate between those convinced Nintendo will use their, say those of that particular persuasion, carte blanche, as specified in the updated network terms of service, to force updates upon users much in the fashion of Xbox LIVE and those convinced that Nintendo would never do such a thing. I disagree that Nintendo revised their terms of service specifically with the intention of subsequently releasing updates without any prior user notification, for I believe we must see other changes in order for that to be a possibility; Nintendo would not, for example, provide users the opportunity, a warning message displayed before initiating the official update process, to effectively "opt-out" of updates by turning their Wii off, forbidding an update from beginning. Does this mean that Nintendo will never implement a mandatory automatic update system? Of course not, but their current update model, as indicated both by the option to avoid some updates entirely among other things, wherein users are permitted to avoid downloading certain updates but may be required to install an update via a disc at some point in the future, does not support such a feature's implementation. (Users of homebrew applications can avoid updates for the most part by using applications such as Starfall, only installing IOS updates when absolutely needed by a certain game or for a certain feature as is probably the case with IOS38 and Animal Crossing.)

That being said, as far as I know, you can still use the Weather and News channels in the event that WiiConnect24 is turned off. Your channel menu will not provide current information on corresponding channel backgrounds, but the channels themselves should still operate. (I ask that anyone with more complete knowledge correct me.) If you want to be absolutely safe, you might consider turning WiiConnect24 off unless you are absolutely certain that you require some feature it provides; but my thinking is that WiiConnect24 is probably safe for now.

sord_id

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys!

I'm a newbie here and need some help.

I've got a moded Wii with wiikey and FW 3.3U and want to install the homebrew channel. From the official site I saw that the only way to do this is using 'the twilight hack' (cause my FW is above 3.2).

My question is: is this really the only way I can install the homebrew channel ? If yes, can I make a backup of Twilight Princess and use the "twilight hack" method with it? Will it works with a backup ?

Thanks for the help

kiluala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Prime,
I have Wii Version 3.4E , but i cant play a copy of game The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, how can u play it without mod chip.
Thanks

Snowknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiluala said:
Hi Prime,
I have Wii Version 3.4E , but i cant play a copy of game The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, how can u play it without mod chip.
Thanks

With that system menu version in particular, you will need an original copy of Twilight Princess to initiate the twilight hack and, thereby, install the Homebrew Channel. You can purchase Twilight Princess at any number of retail stores both brick-and-mortar and virtual, or, of course, you might borrow the game from a friend in order to complete the Homebrew Channel installation. Once you install the Homebrew Channel, per this and other guides, you will probably want to downgrade your system menu to 3.2, bearing in mind all the boldly stated warnings about doing so, though it is not necessarily required at this point in time unless you want to install a backup loader to your Wii itself as opposed to running it from an SD card, via the Homebrew Channel. Again, you'll need an original copy of Twilight Princess to begin with.

sord_idHello guys!

I'm a newbie here and need some help.

I've got a moded Wii with wiikey and FW 3.3U and want to install the homebrew channel. From the official site I saw that the only way to do this is using 'the twilight hack' (cause my FW is above 3.2).

My question is: is this really the only way I can install the homebrew channel ? If yes, can I make a backup of Twilight Princess and use the "twilight hack" method with it? Will it works with a backup ?

Thanks for the help

As far as I know, the twilight hack is the primary method for installing the Homebrew Channel on Wii consoles bereft of a drive chip, which would allow them to install via any burned DVD, so the shortest answer to your first question I can provide is a resounding "probably." I am fairly certain, however, that the twilight hack will work successfully with a backup copy of Twilight Princess. You should only face a challenge in determining the version of that copy for loading the corresponding twilight hack save file when in the game, but you can probably accomplish that through simple trial and error.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Woo, simple question.
let's say my friend wants to install the Homebrew Channel on their Wii, but doesn't have their SD card. I've got everything needed (Zelda TP, and...well, my own SD card that has all the HBC apps and whatnot as well as a buttload of wads). They don't really use their Wii often; just when I'm over.

Would it be possible to load the HBC installation .dol into the main folder of my SD card, use the Twilight Hack save, etc. and install the Homebrew Channel while keeping the apps/DOLs I have on my SD card?

Basically...can I install the Homebrew Channel using a homebrew'd-up SD card without worrying about somehow annihilating all my data currently on the SD card?

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Excellent. Thanks, bro. B)

I was worried I'd somehow format it, but I guess not.
It also means I can install the Backup Loader in one sitting without rushing back and forth between the PC and the Wii. :S

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==