How to format HDD in WBFS on PC

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Steven3009, Apr 2, 2009.

Apr 2, 2009
  1. Steven3009
    OP

Newcomer Steven3009 Member

United States
    Are there any tools that would format HDD in WBFS on PC?

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
  3. gitkua

Member gitkua GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Man, if people would read other threads before opening one themselves gbatemp wouldn't be struggling with all the traffic on the site...

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    yes the pc applications can do that. just use one of the many gui or directly use the command line tool

5. Steven3009
    OP

Newcomer Steven3009 Member

United States
    Thanks a lot

6. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I couldn't agree more. I understand it's difficult to police all the threads, but come on now. So many open threads asking the same questions. They need to be locked immediately, even deleted. Whenever something "new" comes out ... usb loader ... this place gets flooded with crap by lazy people

7. pease09

Newcomer pease09 Member

Canada
  8. richy

Newcomer richy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Man, there are just waaaaay too many threads on this site sometimes and it can do your head in trying to find stuff so no worries! I used this prog by gibbed and it works a treat, plus you can do all the dumping etc on the PC and it's about 6 times faster than using the Wii to dump the games (well, for backups at any rate!)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144475

[EDIT] Incidentally, the post above me appeared whilst I was writing this so I don't mean to add more clutter or confusion... just trying to help. Formatting the drive or partition to FAT32 beforehand is also probably a good idea if it's currently NTFS. I forced a FAT32 format in Vista via DOS (or whatever it's called now) and it apparently had failed when it got to 100% but the WBFS prog was quite happy to work with it anyway.....

9. erolz

Member erolz GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    ?? how can you format the drive with this tool? i can not get the job done...

10. richy

Newcomer richy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Here's what I did. Created a partition on my external drive of about 38GB as "apparently" Windows would refuse to format it to FAT32 if it was any larger than 40GB (I think). I used this command in DOS "format /FS:FAT32 x:" and it worked... up until it said it was too big when it got to 100%. Then I used the following command with wbfs_win: "wbfs_win X init" where X is the drive letter and that was it. I only did the FAT32 thing first because whilst wbfs_win appeared to be working when I started with an NTFS partition it wasn't actually doing anything. I read the instuctions somewhere and it said FAT32 was best to start with. Anyway, all the above worked for me [​IMG]

11. nissen22

Newcomer nissen22 Member

United States
    Use wbfs manager

12. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  13. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm to format a drive larger than 40gb in Windows.