OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Norway
hey

if you are getting: "ERROR: Could not initialize USB subsystem (ret = -1)" your USB may stil work..

1. plug in a usb pen that is working for the USB loader.

2. wate for the loader to ask if you want to format the drive.

3. talke out the usb thats working and insert the usb drive that you are getting error on.

4. continue the tutorial from step 13. here: http://wehackwii.pbwiki.com/Tutorial+-+USB+Loader+v1

if you still get: "ERROR: Could not initialize USB subsystem (ret = -1)" wen you are trying to run the loader with your formated usb drive you will need to do:

1. do step 1 to 2 in my previous post.

2. press A.

3. press B and now you can use your USB device as normal
smile.gif

I know this isent the best way to use the Loader but it works..
tongue.gif

MertenNor
PS. sorry for my bad english
frown.gif

apcarr

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a slight problem with this theory,once you have got your hdd recognised and have managed to put a game on the drive as soon as you reboot the Wii there will be no way of seeing the drive again.I know because I've tried it with a drive that would not be recognised but would with a "hotswap",once I rebooted it just gives the -1 error again but this time the "hotswap" trick wont work

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I have my 500gb hard drive hooked to the Wii (The drive has an external PSU btw) and turn the USB Loader on, it stays at the screen for a few seconds then shows the USB subsystem (ret = -1) error so I can't even get the loader to format the drive at all. I've formated the drive on my computer and it STILL won't see the drive no matter what I try.

MertenNor

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Norway
guywhatever said:
When I have my 500gb hard drive hooked to the Wii (The drive has an external PSU btw) and turn the USB Loader on, it stays at the screen for a few seconds then shows the USB subsystem (ret = -1) error so I can't even get the loader to format the drive at all. I've formated the drive on my computer and it STILL won't see the drive no matter what I try.

you need to have a notter usb pen/drive that the loader supports and then wate for the "press A to format window" ( read tutorial ) ( it can still be a trive with stuff on it like mine
tongue.gif
)

MertenNor

Posts merged

QUOTE(guywhatever @ Apr 1 2009, 10:36 PM) When I have my 500gb hard drive hooked to the Wii (The drive has an external PSU btw) and turn the USB Loader on, it stays at the screen for a few seconds then shows the USB subsystem (ret = -1) error so I can't even get the loader to format the drive at all. I've formated the drive on my computer and it STILL won't see the drive no matter what I try.

you need to have a notter usb pen/drive that the loader supports and then wate for the "press A to format window" ( read tutorial ) ( it can still be a drive with stuff on it like mine
tongue.gif
)

MertenNor

bigbuttbot

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
MertenNor said:
hey

if you are getting: "ERROR: Could not initialize USB subsystem (ret = -1)" your USB may stil work..

1. plug in a usb pen that is working for the USB loader.

2. wate for the loader to ask if you want to format the drive.

3. talke out the usb thats working and insert the usb drive that you are getting error on.

4. continue the tutorial from step 13. here: http://wehackwii.pbwiki.com/Tutorial+-+USB+Loader+v1

You just made me a first-time poster good sir! I just had to confirm that this actually worked for me, too!

My 4GB Kingston stick was working, whereas my 16GB cnMemory stick wasn't. As instructed, I also swapped them before you're asked to confirm formatting with the A-button. Worked like a charm!

Thank you very much MertenNor! Unconventional, but it gets the job done...

ta-ta

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried this and all it does is stay there at a black screen after I hit A after swapping.. I really wanted to use my 500gb drive too =(

Skiller

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had the -1 Issue only when using Drives that State there USB2 but there not actual there USB2 but not Highspeed USB2.. if that makes Sence at all
tongue.gif

the Drives that Say USB2 HighSpeed and State that they run the HighSpeed Seem to be working right ..

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just to put in a little bit of help there, one fix for some non-functioning USB devices (like my Integral 2GB) is simply to have the power turned off before plugging it in. For some reason, that made it work, and now I've got several games running off it (real Zelda TP, backup Super Paper Mario) although SSX Wii still didn't work (from backup).

When I get my external HDD (like everybody is) I'll put all my WiiSOs on it for a more thorough test.

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Just to put in a little bit of help there, one fix for some non-functioning USB devices (like my Integral 2GB) is simply to have the power turned off before plugging it in. For some reason, that made it work, and now I've got several games running off it (real Zelda TP, backup Super Paper Mario) although SSX Wii still didn't work (from backup).

When I get my external HDD (like everybody is) I'll put all my WiiSOs on it for a more thorough test.

Have the power turned off to the external before plugging it into the wii?

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i get this with my seagate i have to switch it off at the plug power the wii on the power the drive on and its good to go untill the wii powers down again. its just a case of remebering to switch the drive off with the wii and back on after the wii.

its probably possible to take a 5v trigger from the other usb slot and incorperate a relay/switch inlinewith the drive power cord

Rivaplz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Western Digital My Book Home Edition 320 GB (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=354). Swapping doesn't work, powering off until the Wii has started doesn't work, sucking my thumb in the corner while I cry doesn't work. Hopefully there is a larger range of hardware supported with the next version.

apcarr

Trophies
XP
Country
lmfao...bet its a power thing as nearly every WD Drive seems to work,my WD 250 beves wouldnt work in an external case that had its own power supply,I bought a Small external case today that is USB powered and its working great.

yumms

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get this. My 1 gb drive was recognized...8 gb was not.

I took out 1gb drive, put in 8gb one (followed step 3). Chose to format the 8gb drive, then to install Mario Kart...got a crash dump.

Now both my 1gb and 8gb drives are not recognized.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a sneaking suspicion something happened when I did the "safe" upgrade to 4.0 (I needed moar tracks for RB2) because it worked before with an 8GB USB thumbdrive from Microcenter, and now I get error -6.

nanashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This worked for me. Sony 2gb Microvault Thumbsticks didnt work (gave ret = -6), but I managed to get a hold of an 8gb one that did. When it asked me if I wanted to format, I swaped the sticks. It showed the partition list (1.88gb, a good sign). After the successful format was off, I reaccessed the stick to see if it would still be recognized, and sure enough it was. The test game (Monster Hunter tri-al) runs great, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1