Homebrew How to find exploits in DsiWare?

jacob1223

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I only have 2 dsiware on my O3ds on 11.1. I want to know what people do to find exploits in these games so I could try to do it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm also wondering why nobody can find more save file overflows... Like, can't someone make a MaskHax using Majora's Mask 3D, similar to OoT3DHax? Or how about LeafHax using Animal Crossing? Surely there can be more cart-based games to exploit. And PowerSaves is only $15 if you know where to look, got mine from Amazon for $15 and $5 shipping.

Reactions: LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have 2 dsiware on my O3ds on 11.1. I want to know what people do to find exploits in these games so I could try to do it.
if you're asking forget about ever finding one yourself.If we knew what we could exploit in every game and what it looked like the 3ds would be hacked 15 minutes after every
new update

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanna know like what to look for when doing this.

You have to look for places where user controlled data (such as the character's name in a saved game) is loaded into memory but the length of the data is not checked before putting it into a pointer. However doing so requires knowing assembly language programming so that you can go step by step through the game code in a debugger/emulator to find it.

So the first step is for you to learn ARM assembly which can take quite a while especially if you don't have any programming experience.

Last edited by nl255,

jacob1223

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
You have to look for places where user controlled data (such as the character's name in a saved game) is loaded into memory but the length of the data is not checked before putting it into a pointer. However doing so requires knowing assembly language programming so that you can go step by step through the game code in a debugger/emulator to find it.

So the first step is for you to learn ARM assembly which can take quite a while especially if you don't have any programming experience.
thanks

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also wondering why nobody can find more save file overflows... Like, can't someone make a MaskHax using Majora's Mask 3D, similar to OoT3DHax? Or how about LeafHax using Animal Crossing? Surely there can be more cart-based games to exploit. And PowerSaves is only $15 if you know where to look, got mine from Amazon for $15 and $5 shipping.
Majoras mask was looked through, and no exploit could be found. Animal crossing I'm pretty sure is also stable as all hell.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah this - start with an easy language like Java or Python to get used to how to think programmatically, then after a year or two learn something a bit harder and bare metal like C++, then take a computer science course and learn all about how memory is laid out, the instruction set, stack vs. heap, the whole architecture of the thing, then learn assembly, then study previous exploits to learn how they work, then debug games with current exploits and see if you can find the vulnerabilities yourself independently, then do the same with other games and be prepared to spend many months hunting red herrings before you find something new.

Reactions: Zidapi

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The list of DSiWares game with exploit :
  • Legends Of Exidia (buy it right now if you want to downgrade)
  • Fieldrunners
  • Guitar Rock Tour
  • The Legend Of Zelda - Four Sword
  • Sudoku Arts

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the game in question has bounds checking for the length of the string you're examining, then you can't use it in a buffer over exploit. I'm no security expert, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption that most, but not all (looking at you LoZ: OOT), 3ds games (specifically ACNL) have bounds checking on something like the name of the profile. And by the way, "save file overflows" do exist...and they're everywhere (OOT3DHax, maybe stickerhax, (v*)hax, perhaps even more).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the game in question has bounds checking for the length of the string you're examining, then you can't use it in a buffer over exploit. I'm no security expert, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption that most, but not all (looking at you LoZ: OOT), 3ds games (specifically ACNL) have bounds checking on something like the name of the profile. And by the way, "save file overflows" do exist...and they're everywhere (OOT3DHax, maybe stickerhax, (v*)hax, perhaps even more).
Well I have BaseHax and OoTHax, but they don't launch 100% of the time... I'd say roughly 65% to 75%. Sometimes it just hangs on the white screen, or it will error out of the game, rebooting the console.

Adryel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The list of DSiWares game with exploit :
  • Legends Of Exidia (buy it right now if you want to downgrade)
  • Fieldrunners
  • Guitar Rock Tour
  • The Legend Of Zelda - Four Sword
  • Sudoku Arts

It can be physical right? because if I remember correctly there's a store over here that still sells Guitar Rock Tour.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGhhGhvxbvI