[How to] Dump 3DS games without Gateway or any clone carts

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vinhdt, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    _

the_gerald and cearp like this.
  2. Bond697

Bond697 Dies, died, will die.

Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    CT
  3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Do we really need instructions on "how to" do everything......what exactly is your plan to do with these roms once you dump them but don't use a gateway or a clone card......it's a pointless exercise

tyons likes this.
  4. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Alternate name ideas for this thread:

1. [How to] waste people's time.
    2. [How to] make a contradiction!
    3. [How to] not read the stickies!
    4. What not to do when posting a thread!
    5. No... just no!

5. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    We're getting a lot of these Captain Obvious tutorials lately.

tyons likes this.
  6. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    In case you lose the retail games before you receive your Gateway or any clone carts.

I always backup my hard earned purchase games. That is why.

7. stewartie4

stewartie4 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2014
    If you read on he did say "without gateway .... carts".I don't think he meant without the software.

emulators are beginning to popup and they will only get better. That's a very good reason to backup roms without owning a flashcart.

Anyone searching for this for whatever reason will find this thread and although this is second nature to many here, it isn't for a lot of people who may find this thread helpful.

I don't think there's a need for you guys to be so aggressive towards someone who is clearly just trying to help anyone else coming along!

8. vinhdt
    OP

vinhdt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Thank you. I'm just trying to be helpful to someone who doesn't have Gateway cart and to backup their hard earned money purchasing the retail games.

cearp likes this.
  9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Any possible future emulator........current emulators are a long way off running any commercial games, but even then they would likely require pre-decrypted roms.....so the roms back up doing this would be fairly useless for an emulator as they are encrypted

As for backing up to use on gateway......that just defeats the whole point of the "without gateway or clones" it's obvious you don't need the gateway card plugged in to backup a cart....you can't exactly take a dump of a retail cart while you have a gateway card inserted.

I know your trying to be helpful but the only thing I could imagine this leading to is people asking how they play them without the gateway card.....which simply isn't possible ATM (at least publicly)

One other glaring omission is the fact it's only possible on a 4.x console....if you want to make obvious spoon feeding threads at least make the facts clear to the type of people who will be looking at it with no prior knowledge

10. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    While I'm here and it's on-topic, if I were to dump my copy of Pokemon Y, would the save be dumped with it? I'm tempted to dump it and then throw it back at Gamestop.

11. vinhdt
    This message by vinhdt has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  12. Huntereb
    This message by Huntereb has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  13. vinhdt
    This message by vinhdt has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  14. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Yups, card 2 games saves on the rom itself.
    And just because temp has a high density of morally deficient people doesn't mean EVERYONE is.
    That being said, the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black. Using Gateway to play roms is not something an "honest" person does.

Huntereb likes this.
  15. vinhdt
    Jul 20, 2014
  16. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Alright, assuming you have higher moral fiber than most people on temp.
    Unfortunately, you are in the minority here. So it's not a good place to discuss how unethical piracy is.

17. vinhdt
    Jul 20, 2014
  18. Huntereb
    This message by Huntereb has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  19. vinhdt
    Jul 20, 2014
  20. Jean Karlo
    This message by Jean Karlo has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  21. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    I guess you need also to format it..

22. cearp
    This message by cearp has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  23. Duo8
    This message by Duo8 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 23, 2014, Reason: trolling/immaturity/namecalling/whatever/couldntbeassedtocare.
    Jul 20, 2014
  24. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    NEP and stewartie4 like this.
  25. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Downloading an online copy is far less damaging than dumping a cart and returning it to a store simply because the latter involves using a real cart (and thus buying and unboxing, leading to potential losses for the retailer) instead of an existing copy. An unboxed game loses value and can no longer be sold as new. That's besides the point though, stay on-topic.

gamefan5, NEP and cearp like this.
  26. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I am going to pretend you didn't say you wanted to return your cart.....BUT the answer to your question is you can boot into the gateway menu and then rip your cart to your sd card. You can then backup the 3ds save from your cart and put it onto your sd card. I am not 100% sure it will work with pokemon since of the nand save but it worked with another game I tried

27. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I wouldn't just be able to dump the game and have the save included with the rom itself? It sounds much easier to just have them packaged together.

28. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    :blink: Like I just said they are two completely different options in the gateway menu, if you extract the rom the only benefit over a scene dump is the unique header. No save info is stored on the rom itself.

Also like I mentioned that this may not work for nand save games like pokemon

29. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

What won't work? Dumping the game itself? Saves are stored on the rom itself with nand-based games, and I'm dumping Pokemans.

30. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

If you are playing the game in classic mode it's NOT saving to the rom it's saving to the nand using 6.1 custom keys. This is why it will corrupt if you put the game in a standard non gateway 3ds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.