How to create an Emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jeffsmith, Sep 9, 2016.

1. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    So I'm on firmware 9.2 and have Decrypt9wip installed along with Hourglass. I don't have a flashcard or gateway.

Despite searching the web and various forums I have NEVER found anywhere that actually tells you how to create an emunand.

Everyone just says 'There's X problem with my emunand backup help me fix it' but never how or where the emunand came from.

Please...I've looked for so long now.

2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    MajinCubyan and Bubsy Bobcat like this.
  3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    MajinCubyan likes this.
  4. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    I've followed Pailect's guide and have got the homebrew launcher/luma3ds/fbi/bootntr. When launching luma3ds from homebrew it just shows a black screen. The problem the game hack I'm trying to run doesn't use firmware 9.2 it uses 10. something but updating the firmware causes Luma updater and bootntr to fail because the firmware isn't correct anymore. I can't win!

5. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    You have to update to the latest firmware 11.0, no need for staying back on 9.2.

6. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    But when I update to 11.0, BootNTR fails and doesn't load up! I can't play the hack of the game I'm trying to without it. So either I'm on 9.2 and the game itself won't run or I'm on 11.0 and bootNTR won't run.

7. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Make sure you're using this CIA of BootNTR: https://github.com/astronautlevel2/BootNTR/releases

LongTimeLurker likes this.
  8. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
  9. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Wait, what are you going to update. sysNAND or EmuNAND?

10. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    Like the title says, It was never made clear AT ANY POINT during Plailect's guide how to create an emunand. The guide was actually very poorly laid out but I'll let it slide because I don't know the material. I would be updating my sysnand as per astronaughtlevel's advice.

11. Tenshi_Okami

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Don't, if you really want something like EmuNAND, you are better off doing Updated sysNAND on A9LH

12. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    I'm not quite sure how to do that (hence the thread). Yes, I'm a noob.

The option in Hourglass9 has 'emunand backup/restore' but the guide never mentions where to get an emunand in the first place. How would I be backing up or restoring something I haven't got or been told how to do?

13. ADS3500

ADS3500 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2016
    Canada
    If you have A9LH installed, you can safely update your sysnand to 11.0.

14. Tenshi_Okami

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    EmuNAND9 can create an EmuNAND. But if you follow the guide, you will notice that at the end, there isn't a need for EmuNAND at all :3

15. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    The point of the guide is to get rid of emunand and live on sysnand. Try the bootNTR You were linked to. You can use the sysupdater .cia to downgrade if needed just make a nand backup with Hourglass9 beforehand. If you brick just restore the nand backup with hourglass9.

16. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    the guide intentionally no longer uses emunand/rednand. only arm9loaderhax + updated sysnand.

17. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    Right because the general idea I've been seeing is if I update to the latest sysFirmware (11.0.0-33 or something like that) then my 3ds is as good as useless, even if I have backup firmware of 9.2 and 4.0. Are you telling me I'll be able to restore 9.2 even after upgrading to 11.0?

18. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    if you are using arm9loaderhax, you can update safely. you won't lose anything. the point of it is so you can have an updated sysnand.

19. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Yes a9lh can be updated to 11.0 and still restore nand backups and stuff.

20. jeffsmith
    OP

jeffsmith Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    Thank you all for your help so far! I'll just run this by you again.

1) Firmware is on 9.2 but the game (and therefore the hack I'd like to play of it) requires at least 10.3.
    2) BootNTR is required for the hack to run (duh) but won't function if I update past 9.2 (unless that link that was posted fixes this).
    3) If I do update to the newest firmware (11.0.0-33) and BootNTR still doesn't work for some reason, I can restore my firmware to 9.2 and others providing I've got A9lh?
    4) That's what I've gotten from this. Am I right or have I missed something obvious/hilarious?