How to batch conver nsp to nsz?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chrisssj2
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 4,908
  • Replies Replies 6

Chrisssj2

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
2,801
Reaction score
568
Trophies
1
XP
5,045
Country
Netherlands
I tried swissknife SAK_v0.7.14_64bit_20220405-19-38-49...
But it works for some files while it doesn't for others. What tools are out there that can do this, but work better?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chrisssj2
Thank you. Do you know if there is any difference in resulted compression size when using these different tools? i used that NSZ tool and it worked beautifully. No files were left behind as with the other tool. Just wondering now about possible size differences. Im using max compression for the tool ofcourse.
I’ve not done that level of research. I know that the NSZ tool is the source of that format and Tinfoil was one of the first to implement it. Tinfoil and nut are both by @blawar so maybe he can comment? Since the code for all of them is based on zstd compression it’s going to be on par with anything else that follows the same standard.
 
I don't know much about switch hacking, but I do know what an nsp and an nsz are. I was using nca builder for batch convert for the games I owned, just so they didn't take up as much space. anyway, it allows you to set how much compression you want from 1-21 or so, but the more you want compressed, the longer it takes. I don't know if this impacts loading or not though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: binkinator
I don't know much about switch hacking, but I do know what an nsp and an nsz are. I was using nca builder for batch convert for the games I owned, just so they didn't take up as much space. anyway, it allows you to set how much compression you want from 1-21 or so, but the more you want compressed, the longer it takes. I don't know if this impacts loading or not though.
Correct. NSZ is for NSPs at rest only. They will uncompress upon install until such time that Ninty takes a hint from the community and decides to implement zstd themselves.

What?

It could happen!
 
  • Like
Reactions: godreborn
Correct. NSZ is for NSPs at rest only. They will uncompress upon install until such time that Ninty takes a hint from the community and decides to implement zstd themselves.

What?

It could happen!
There is already an official way to compress romfs since 12.0.0
Iridium is such game that is using native romfs compression.

But to do that for dumps you need to repack NCA, which is not something desirable for some people.
And I don't think there is any NCA packer supporting romfs compression outside of Nintendo SDK.
 
Last edited by masagrator,
  • Love
Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted