How to backup cartridge save?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bunky, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    I've dumped animal crossing fine, now try to backup my save with 3.0.1, and it gives me error. Anyone know how to backup saves? sysnand 9.2 btw

2. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Animal Crossing is a special game whose cartridge type is Card2.
    Card2 games' save is stored inside the ROM itself.
    You should dump the ROM and rename it into .3DZ in order to use it in GW mode.

3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    currently you will not be able to use the save and it will start fresh.

4. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Is that really true? At the very least, OP can use savedatafiler on the .3DZ to extract the save, and then import that to a .cia version of the game. I know the cartridge version had some dependencies to the SD card, which is why this would not work as you say. But since a .cia version of the game would use the SD card by itself anyway, this would probably work given SaveDataFiler can read the save directly from the .3DZ file (since AC:NL is a CARD2-type game). I can't back this up by saying "I tried it and it works," but I don't see why it wouldn't.

5. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Since the .CIA version of the game ignores encryption variations could you then do the reverse and take the injected save and put it back on the retail cartridge whilst in 4x sysnand to make it compatible with classic mode?

6. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    To be clear, it doesn't ignore encryption, but rather it uses encryption from version 4.5. However, in order to get that save to a retail cart, you would need "CFW" running from the SD card of your 3DS. This is currently the only way to run savedatafiler while also being able to access retail carts, and you absolutely need access both in order to put your save back. Installing CFW is a very glitchy and time-consuming task (it literally took me 4+ hours to get it working), so if you're out to to that, well... good luck.

7. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    So retail games cannot be used/seen by Gateway's EmuNAND which unless you're running CFW is the only place one can also install savedatafiler?

8. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Sorry cant paste here with ipad, but there are several threads that address this issue on the front page here. Looks like there is a Powersaves solution for Pokemon so in theory that method could work with AC.

9. ubergeek77

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Right. Retail games will not load in emuNAND unless you are in 'Classic' mode. But if you're in classic mode, you can't execute .cias, which means no savedatafiler. CFW is the only way you can launch savedatafiler while also reading from retail carts. It only works for games using 6.0 or lower encryption though, but that's to be expected.

Monty Kensicle likes this.
  10. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    thats too bad, i'll stay at 9.2 for awhile then, so i can still play my retail games:/

11. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Animal Crossing is a fw 4.5 game. It doesn't use any 6.x save encryption. You should be able to just dump it and use the 3DZ rom fine.

12. bunky
    OP

bunky Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2015
    Taiwan
    no luck dumping the save file, but if its 4.5 game, maybe i can still downgrade and just play in 4.5 sysnand with the retail cart.

13. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    The save data is stored inside the rom file. Try playing your dumped game.