kedest

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've never tried installing wads before yet. But now I'm thinking about trying it, because there are some nice Wiiware games out there.
How safe exactly is it (using wadmanager 1.1) ? Is the installation process safe and stable, or are there still risks of bricking?

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iv installed alot of wads and the worst thats happend is a failed install or the channel didnt work (diff region) . Aslong as the WADs your installing are safe (dont have bad banners etc) then im sure the risk is minimal.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same goes for me. I've installed/uninstalled 15+ WADs with nos problem. Like darkhawk said, the worst that can happen is a failed install (I had this once but it didn't install it. It just told me an error and then it rebooted safely.) or the channel didn't work.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've installed 5 or so, and uninstalled one, and my Wii works fine
smile.gif

Christen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just don't power off your Wii while the WADs are installing, and only download your WADs from a trusted source and you should be good to go.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wabsta said:
Is there any way to check if the banner is okay and things like that?
Ask around, so far I had no bad wads!
biggrin.gif
Just be careful with random wads, if its a torrent, look for the one with the most seeds and peers and good comments and thanks.

The only way to unbrick a bad banner is through Starfall or with a modchip.

Chaorain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you kidding? This thing is completely idiot proof. Just make sure you have room on your Wii. Even if you forget your Wii will yell at you for room, I just ignore it for the moment then uninstall the wad, THEN make extra Room. Oh yeah if the banner is bad on the wad the Wii freezes then you just reboot.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One time I accidentally installed more than the room I had available. I was worried that I might've overwritten something important, but nothing bad happened ^^;;

That's the worst I can really think of :/

kedest

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I'll be installing Wiiware games only and no injected VC-games so there the banners should be OK.
Thanks for the replies, I'm now confident it's safe.

Chaorain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
Chaorain said:
Oh yeah if the banner is bad on the wad the Wii freezes then you just reboot.
Heard of banner-brick?
I thought banner-brick meant that the Wii would not load past the health screen when you first load up the Wii.

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chaorain said:
killplaystation said:
Chaorain said:
Oh yeah if the banner is bad on the wad the Wii freezes then you just reboot.
Heard of banner-brick?
I thought banner-brick meant that the Wii would not load past the health screen when you first load up the Wii.
no its worse then that, you need to load an autoboot disk of the wadmanager and uninstall the wad (if you are on 3.2 or below) or autoboot of zelda and uninstall with the wad manager thru the TP hack... of course if you are on 3.3 and havent got the TP hack installed you are SOL until betwiin comes out and that will still be a lot of work

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as you install scene released WADs, and not one that some random jerk sent you, you'll be fine... I've installed roughly 30 WADs (as well as uninstalling them) and never had a problem!

Just make sure your downloading them from a good torrent site, or website that you trust.

If you "banner brick" your Wii, you'll have to buy a mod chip to fix it. You have to modify a Zelda ISO to autoboot so it bypasses the menu, pray you still have the TP hack save installed, and run a wad uninstaller.

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how i make sure I dont get a banner brick.

Fill up the first page on the system menu with channels that are fine, so that way if you install a channel, it will be on the second page, and if its a banner brick channel just reboot the wii, go on the first page and remove that wad. EZ

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2short said:
it's probably been discussed before; but does nintendo have some sort of online detection? will they be able to see modified stuff?

I think they can see homebrew through the Nintendo Channel, but so what if they can. They can lick my ballz for all i care

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up