Hacking How safe is installing wads?

a3HeadedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How come when a retard like the one in the "How do I..." topic next to this one posts, he gets 6 replies & 77 views to his dumb question? But when I ask a simple & logical question like in my post above, I get ignored?
dry.gif

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a3HeadedMonkey said:
What would happen if you installed a wad that was for the wrong region? Is it possible to brick your console this way?
Just be patient! No, it won't brick, but you have to use freethewads (google it I think Wii-DS scene has it) and then you are good to go, install it and go!
biggrin.gif

If you don't have a certain region channel it says "This Channel cannot be used"

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
a3HeadedMonkey said:
How come when a retard like the one in the "How do I..." topic next to this one posts, he gets 6 replies & 77 views to his dumb question? But when I ask a simple & logical question like in my post above, I get ignored?
dry.gif

Nothing bad happens if you happen to install wrong region wad, it may or may not work depending on the contents of the wad. And since you can switch forth and back between regions with AnyRegion Changer there is nothing wrong with installing out of region wads.

a3HeadedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply.
wink2.gif
I thought perhaps people didn't respond to n00bs as it wouldn't be my first post that went unanswered here.

Sorry if it seemed like an obvious question but my Wii isn't chipped & I'm a little paranoid of bricking it knowing I won't be able to fix it.

It would be handy if we had a topic here listing the reasons why a wad might brick a console. Is it mainly just banner bricks that cause problems or are there other ways? I've seen a few forumites here explaining there console has been bricked by a Midnight Pool wad. Do we know why this happened & why it always seems to be Midnight Pool.

Also, what happens if I install a WiiWare wad that's been modified from an NTSC wad to a PAL wad with freethewad, & then go online with it? Any danger there, specifically if the wad hasn't been released on the VC in Europe yet?

Too many questions? Sorry!
blush.gif
rofl2.gif
I thought it'd be best to get all of them out of the way, instead of multiple posts.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
a3HeadedMonkey said:
Thanks for the reply.
wink2.gif
I thought perhaps people didn't respond to n00bs as it wouldn't be my first post that went unanswered here.

Sorry if it seemed like an obvious question but my Wii isn't chipped & I'm a little paranoid of bricking it knowing I won't be able to fix it.

It would be handy if we had a topic here listing the reasons why a wad might brick a console. Is it mainly just banner bricks that cause problems or are there other ways? I've seen a few forumites here explaining there console has been bricked by a Midnight Pool wad. Do we know why this happened & why it always seems to be Midnight Pool.

Also, what happens if I install a WiiWare wad that's been modified from an NTSC wad to a PAL wad with freethewad, & then go online with it? Any danger there, specifically if the wad hasn't been released on the VC in Europe yet?

Too many questions? Sorry!
blush.gif
rofl2.gif
I thought it'd be best to get all of them out of the way, instead of multiple posts.

Well people already answered this, just download and install things that have good comments and have high sources for download. Region doesn't matter, you can always patch the regions with tools like freethewads or use tools to change the region of your wii on the fly (starfall, anyregion changer)

And it's best to keep measures to recover from a semi-brick at hand if you are going to install wads or if you want to customize the banners of wads... like installing starfall, it gives you the option of autoboot, then you can boot zelda (if your wii is not modded then I mean the original one) and with the twilight hack you can remove the offending wad. of course you need to keep the hacked twilight saves in your wii too.

About the online, no cases till now preventing homebrew and illegal stuff.

a3HeadedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you're right, people have given those answers previously & I thanked them for them. Shame none of those were the answers to my questions in my last post that you just quoted. Thanks for not reading my post at all.

I'd also like to know if it's safe to change the file names of your wads to whatever you want them to be, but I guess that's asking too much isn't it?
rolleyes.gif

Fuck me, elitist round here much?
dry.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
a3HeadedMonkey said:
Yes you're right, people have given those answers previously & I thanked them for them. Shame none of those were the answers to my questions in my last post that you just quoted. Thanks for not reading my post at all.

I'd also like to know if it's safe to change the file names of your wads to whatever you want them to be, but I guess that's asking too much isn't it?
rolleyes.gif

Fuck me, elitist round here much?
dry.gif

Not reading the message I quoted? Or are you a bit over paranoid? If you mess up with your wii and do things that it's not designed to do so then there is always the possibility of causing bricks, 0.75-bricks and semi-bricks...

0.75 bricks is for those that stuck with their non modded wiis not be able to launch any disc until they mod their wiis
semi brick is for those that updated their wiis with unmatching region update from an import disc (or maybe something else) though they can launch discs and hence fix the semi-brick
and for full brick wii's nand contents fucked up so that wii doesn't even boot till the warning screen. you need to restore the nand to a previously known good state. this is the brick that modded wii owners would also suffer badly if they encounter.

reason doesn't matter here, today it can be from wrongly setup banners, out of region updates, power shortages tomorrow can be from viruses, malwares...

and the filename of the wad doesn't matter... if you are paranoid, my advice is, just don't install any unlicensed content into your wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1