How often you complete games at 100%?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Demifiend, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Demifiend
    OP

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Be it unlocking all secrets, hidden paths, routes, items, weapons, levels, characters, etc. there's always a game that a gamer is very proud of, or is just the most loved by that one, either way, completing a game fully takes a lot of effort (or not) depending on the game, many people consider that once you finished a game regardless of how much you've seen or unlocked about the game is the way to go, and I think that's okay, but what if said game is someone's else favorite? and since this game is someone's else favorite then he or she wants to complete it fully? without leaving anything behind?

Honestly speaking, I believe completing a game fully takes a lot of effort, collect-a-thon platformers are just a no go for me, Jak & Daxter has its good fair amount of secrets and stuff to explore, and I can't fathom to beat it fully without a well written walkthrough, if it's a game like Super Mario Galaxy however, I think the process is much quicker and overall less painful compared to those, since it is more of a "play the same levels but harder" to complete it, and despite not completing the full game as Luigi, I did however completed it fully with Mario alone so I think that's my proudest gamer achievement? who knows

RPG's...oh boy, they are scary, and the thought of completing them at 100% is even more, you have to know what items are located at specific zones, which enemies spawn around specific zones, which bosses or secret bosses are plot activated, etc. Just to make sure, that you didn't leave anything behind, Suikoden for example, is a series in which you can recruit 108 "stars" or characters, yeah, you heard me right, 108 playable characters, the concept even appears with spinoffs like Suikoden Tierkreis, the thought of completing game while trying to recruit all characters is just a taxing one, but sometimes, you may not even achieve a true ending if you don't recruit them all! so good endings are behind those requirements

There are many more game genders to talk about, and each person has his/her own way to beat a game fully, while I have the mindset of "Do not beat it fully 100% unless you're in total love with it, and you bother to pull some effort" I don't think that's the case for someone's else, let us know in this thread

EpicMedz likes this.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino for Hire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    As much as I can.
    if it has a percentage counter, I will 100% it.

BORTZ likes this.
  3. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    There are many games that I remember playing but the only one that I remember finding "everything" in is Super Mario World on the SNES. That took me most of my childhood (remember it is before the internet was really a thing so the only way to get info was word of mouth).

The only other one I can think of coming close is Sonic the Hedgehog 2. After that I got a job and started having kids so I never had time to fully "complete" a game.

I guess this post really gives away my age.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    90% of the time I complete at game at like 90% to 95%. I always miss some stupid little secret that I just don't feel like going back to find.

EpicMedz likes this.
  5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    If I have time and requirements for trophies/achievements are not ridiculous like beat this and that on your fifth playthrough (you know who you are, Zesitiria), then I at least attempt 100% completion.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I don't 100% I 101% 102% and 103% So i'm just 6% better than the 100% completionist. :creep:

(Thumbs up to you if you know what the joke is from.)

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Never. I finish the game with the best "true/happy" ending I can, and that's it.

Nightwish and TheVinAnator like this.
  8. Astral_

Astral_ GBAtemp elder

Oct 24, 2002
    France
    France
    I used to, but not anymore since every single game now has this stupid collecting addiction.

9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Confession, I still can't 100% metroid. Where the hell is those 3% missles at? Who needs that man missles? 250? FOR WHAT? 250 missles, 50 super missles 50 Power bombs and 14 energy tanks + 4 reserve tanks. I DON'T NEED THAT MANY, I CAN GET GUD! :wtf:

Don't get me started on metroid nes and metroid 2 gameboy OR METROID FUSION O_O

Seem like metroid other m and metroid zero mission are the only ones to get this 100% item scounting fairness correct.

10. Westwoodo

Westwoodo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    Not as much as I should, I don't have the time to game like I used to so I usually blast through games.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    100%? almost never. Can't be bothered. I just sponge the fun out of a game until nothing is left. That tends to be far before 100%.

But I mostly play RPGs so 100% is much harder.

Something like Super Mario 64 I 100% just because it's fun/easy/not a grind.

BORTZ likes this.
  12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I think of all the games I've played, I've only 100%'d maybe like...10? I'm not really one of those people who feels the need to collect every single item/do every single side quest/jerk off every single NPC in every game I play unless it vastly alters the end-game in some way (which it never does). The only games I've 100%'d are games that are super easy to 100% like the original Spyro trilogy (which I just finished 100%ing again last night :P). Even games I severely enjoy like Dark Souls I won't 100%, because doing so is stupid tedious and annoying.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Only one (cook, serve, delicious). And I just played that game until there were but 2 things left to do.

It probably won't make me popular saying this, but for most games, chasing 100% is kind of pathetic to me. The reason: especially on open world games, devs just clutter the world with token busywork that adds nothing. Take AC3: collect Pages of a stupid book or even feathers. It's ridiculous, especially since all the weapons are as strong as your starting weapon.
    Now...I get that players find it fun to just wonder around and discovering stuff (I did this as well). But for 100% nowadays, it's as if players EXPECT some stupid busywork to be done, and they gladly abide. I once joked to the parents of a gaming friend that if they wanted him to clean his room THOROUGHLY, all they had to do was say something like "achievement unlocked: you have cleaned 99% of your room". :evil:

Nightwish likes this.
  14. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    never have, I usually lose interest and move on to another game by the time I get to, say, 70-80%

15. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Almost never. Generally only complete story or get the "true ending"

lcie nimbus likes this.
  16. Xeroyamil

Xeroyamil Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Attending now medschool, I find difficult to find time to achieve 100% in a game. But until college, the best memories I have is Megaman X5, FF12 (that was a BIG pain in the ass), KH1 and 2, and also KH:ReCoded (don't understand whay that game was addictive to me, knowing that is somehow a shitty game). The latest one was wolfenstein the new order (that was a great game). Now I'm playing Borderland 2 with my sister, and already finished 2 times.

I must say, now I look games that I can pass through quickly... I miss my free time...

17. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Back when I was a more OCD gamer all the time. Then I realized that in most games endgame content is almost always unbearably tedious so I cut that out pretty quick. A lack of time doesn't help either.

18. mr_lunar_magnet

mr_lunar_magnet Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    I 100% most metroid or castlevania games, I'm thinking about going through and 100% some rpgs now too though.

But it's only a habit I've gotten into recently, I either go for 100% or low %

19. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I've never done it, I just try to get the best ending and I'm done with that game.

20. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    I finished 100 percent on easier games with objectives and a side missions. I didn't finish for example on a game like gta v, ain't nobody got time for that.