How often should I replace my Switch's battery?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Doesn't it lose capacity over the years? Ideally you should keep it between 20% and 80% charged at all times to minimize capacity loss but in normal use it goes both above and below this.
just wait till its dead that would be atleast about 5-10 yrs depending on your usage

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Doesn't it lose capacity over the years? Ideally you should keep it between 20% and 80% charged at all times to minimize capacity loss but in normal use it goes both above and below this.
its a weird question... You replace it whenever you feel like doing it. Some people replace it at 80% capacity, some are ok with using it until its like 40-50%. If your battery dies quickly and it does concern you, then go and replace it. You can check the battery info in hekate. I have a v1 switch (early 2018) and my battery is sitting at around 90-93% battery capacity which is absolutely fine for me, i don't have any reason to replace it for now.

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never? If you are having battery issues that often, then something is wrong. lol. Maybe make sure you are using a compatible charger, cause the OEM charger is handled diff than some 3rd party ones out there, and it could be messing up your battery.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OEM battery on v1 erista, after regular usage for about ~4 years. YMMV.

IMG_20220412_040959.jpg

FYI: in any relatively modern device, this is not a concern. Devices are smart enough to look after battery health on their own. The OS may report 100% battery but that doesn't mean the battery is at 100%. Likewise at lower values. There is a lot of software and hardware that interface between the battery and the rest of the hardware which allows for this type of software micromanagement. The software can dynamically adjust charging rate to optimize for heat and current, as well.

Remains to be seen whether the Switch is modern enough of a device for this to apply, but signs point to Yes so far. Note how the battery advertises 4310 mAh on the packaging, but reading from the battery IC directly reports a design capacity of 4667 mAh. My untrained eye would be temped to say that this is intentional design.

Last edited by Takokeshi,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least every third month, of course...
You’re falling for the money trap, man. Don’t listen to Big Battery. I’ve been changing mine every 6 months and haven’t seen any issues. Wake up sheeple!

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’re falling for the money trap, man. Don’t listen to Big Battery. I’ve been changing mine every 6 months and haven’t seen any issues. Wake up sheeple!

Because you haven't SEEN any issues doesn't mean they don't exist. Monthly for me. Better safe than sorry. 6 months? I don't believe you've seen zero issue.

RatherSimple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
don't try to open your switch's guts until your device holds its charge 30 mins or so. Actually don't try to open ANY of your device's guts until so. take it to a service and get it done by a professional if you don't want to risk it. Batteries used on switch are pretty large - like the ones on iPad. So degrading happens much slower compared to batteries in smartphones as they're not condensed shit ones.

tldr: you don't need to, try to enjoy your device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
don't try to open your switch's guts until your device holds its charge 30 mins or so. Actually don't try to open ANY of your device's guts until so. take it to a service and get it done by a professional if you don't want to risk it. Batteries used on switch are pretty large - like the ones on iPad. So degrading happens much slower compared to batteries in smartphones as they're not condensed shit ones.

tldr: you don't need to, try to enjoy your device.
The Switch is easy to open up. The battery is glued down pretty well though. Need hot air to remove it without risking damage.
When the battery capacity feels like it's getting low, obviously.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've yet to replace my battery and my device is a launch day purchase, I noticed it drains quicker recently but I've been rebooting a heck of a lot and I doubt that's a good thing. I can still play in HH mode for extended periods of time so until the battery last less than 5mins without power why bother?

Reactions: Takokeshi

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replace it once a day. Expensive, but at least I know I'll never run out if power during a Hello Kitty Adventure Island marathon!
Wow. I feel so filthy casual. Didn’t realize we had hardcore gamers on this site.

At your level, you might want to consider the battery hot swap technique. To pull this off you take the back cover off and leave the battery dangling so you can rip out the old one and get a new battery in place in < 400ms. The capacitors hold enough charge for 500ms of gameplay without a battery so if you can get the new one in quick enough you can technically marathon forever.

• Haha
Reactions: 9x0 and rantex92

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I replace it once a day. Expensive, but at least I know I'll never run out if power during a Hello Kitty Adventure Island marathon!
Don't play that game. It will emit sound frequencies that the government uses to control your mind. I suspect they even controlled you to buy the batteries everyday.
Go to a cleric and ask him to use the seek guidance miracle on you but he will need to have 12 faith.

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC