How often do you swear?

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand why some words are considered to be intrinsically offensive. Surely the implication of offence depends on the context in which the word is used? For example, if I stub my toe and say "shit", why is this offensive? I am simply expressing pain or frustration. However, if I call some "a piece of shit", my intention is clearly to offend them, hence the word is offensive in that context.

So, to answer the question: I often use the words 'shit', 'fuck' and 'bollocks' for emphasis or to express frustration and I don't see a problem with that. I would only use them with reference to a person if my intention was to offend them or to express disdain.

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
It's singular that in English "to swear" means both "giurare" (to swear) and "bestemmiare" (to be blaspheme); as for "oath" that means "giuramento" (make a swear) and "bestemmia" (say a blasphemy) - and I've learn only now...

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I used to swear a lot, but now I'm the father of a four-year-old and I'm a high school teacher, so I have to tone it down.

I still swear more than I should, though, dammit.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm pretty tame nowadays, I only swear when I get angry.

But oh boy, I remember when I first was in the UK how I would be pretty much the only one putting "fucking" in every phrase :D

Reactions: MajinCubyan

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I swear as much as a trucker, a sailor, and a pirate all rolled into one. And when people say shitty things like "Hey, watch your potty mouth" I just reply back with "Hi, and welcome to an adult conversation. :) " and I imagine I'm Ross from Friends when I say it. ^_^

Reactions: dpad_5678

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
'Swear' in English does not share a meaning with 'blaspheme'. They're completely different words with different meanings and different etymology.
But even so, it is at least somewhat peculiar that the same word means "jurar" (to make an oath) and "decir palabrotas/malas palabras" (to say a swear/curse word).

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work in a restaurant so i swear every third word when I'm in the back of house. I don't think its bad, people just are easily offended nowadays.

Reactions: raulpica

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes I talk to myself, because perhaps I am crazy. In those cases I swear In Spanish quite on a regular basis, in English quite a bit, and in German I don't swear, why would I learn how to swear if the whole language already sounds like swearing /s.
I normally don't swear that much when I am talking to someone else, unless perhaps I am watching an important football match, like e.g. the Argentina-Germany 2014 world cup final, at the time I was in Germany, and the swearing really went over 9000 levels, in all languages.
Everyone talks to themselves.

PetitMagique

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the fucking time! Fuck! I just enjoy the way it sounds. It's not bad. I mean "fuck" can be used for so many parts of speech.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't forget here in the UK swearing at another bloke is usually a sign of appreciation - in particular, greeting a friend with 'alreet wanker!', or 'ey up, knobhead's here' is certainly a form a friendship, particularly the further North you go....

My level of FPMs ('Fuck's Per Minute) differs greatly throughout the day, usually starting off very low at home in the morning (mondays excepted!) but going through the fukkin roof when at work, then tailing off afterwards. Basically, Home = Low, Work = Sky High, with stuff like on the lash with the lads on a saturday night being somewhere in between. Being a Bolton Wanderers supporter though, well I've been hitting Work levels watching them useless shites all season....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very rarely, if not almost never.
What the point in doing so ? I wasn't a frustrated child who need to do it now to compensate the miss.
I always tend to be polite and respectful. And there are enough words to express what I want without the need to sound awful.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple