• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

How often do you avoid politics?

How often do you avoid politics when brought up?

• Always

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Only when its a subject I don't know much about

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Only when its a subject I know a good deal about

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Never, I crave that debate

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

1dkreally

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
1dkreally.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on whether or not I can have an educated discussion or if it's just going to be an argument. I don't mind discussions, but I can't stand arguments and try not to get into them too often, and even then half of the time I'm just trying to calm things back down while the other party continues to get far more heated than they likely should be.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Not when the same courtesy is not extended to the other side. That is what we call "bias".
What is not allowed here, seriously?

We went all the pandemic discussing the legitimacy of science, and one of those threads is still going with almost 200 pages. you have gun appologists on the moderation, you had plenty of Putin supporters when the Ukranian war came to be, LGBT rights are constantly put in question, etc.

Last thread I saw moderation intervene and locking the thread, was when a guy started equating homossexauality with pedophilia and straight up insulting others. Is that far gone "courtesy" you want?

We go back to the pushing the Overton window further right again.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been a lurker longer than I have had an account. Conservatives are not well-liked here, and receive slightly different treatment.

Would you disagree?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have been a lurker longer than I have had an account. Conservatives are not well-liked here, and receive slightly different treatment.

Would you disagree?
Anyone who doesn't follow the same thought patterns as the local loudmouths are branded as conservative by the same loudmouths. It's only like 4 people.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

Would you disagree?
By the staff? Yeah, I do, just did above.

By the user base? Of course they are, the whole modern conservativism notion goes from against what people want to be and their actual personal freedoms to representing an obstacle to what could improve their lives, from healthcare to laboral rights. It lives and thrives by scapegoating everything to either minorities, dissidents or inconsequential issues. The great majority of people isn't a modern conservative, even so more when you get out of the US bubble of a two party only system.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the staff? Yeah, I do, just did above.

By the user base? Of course they are, the whole modern consevativism notion goes from against what people want to be and their actual personal freedoms to representing an obstacle to what could improve their lives, from healthcare to laboral rights. It lives and thrives by scapegoating everything to either minorities, dissidents or inconsequential issues. The great majority of people isn't a modern conservative, even so more when you get out of the US bubble of a two party only system.
While I can appreciate your interest and involvement with American politics, if you don't actually live here and have to deal with this every single day, you don't truly have a real perspective on the matter. You are relying on anecdotal evidence for literally everything about your point of view, not having a bit of personal relativity to it.

When you actually see it, in real life, it's a different story. It's perfectly acceptable, for, say, a trans-identifying man who thinks he is a woman, to assault someone for not using his preferred pronouns, and if anyone says boo, THEY are the bad guy.

It's completely wrong for a Good Samaritan to prevent a man who is threatening people with violence on a subway to step in and neutralize the threat without being accused of racism.

Unless you live here, you are going off of news stories and what you never actually experienced. It is impossible for me to believe that you have the level of relativity to actually understand any of this. Likewise, I would not pretend to understand the culture or the social norms in Portugal, beyond what little I have read online. I don't think I know everything just because my Google works.

But, I appreciate your concern.

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,
  • Haha
Reactions: tabzer

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
While I can appreciate your interest and involvement with American politics, if you don't actually live here and have to deal with this every single day, you don't truly have a real perspective on the matter. You are relying on anecdotal evidence for literally everything about your point of view, not having a bit of personal relativity to it.

Oh boy, where to start, from right-wing parties in europe trying to import US rhetoric to the US alt-right directly financing the creation of a portuguese alt-right party in my country that became the third strongest political force. SO yeah, the "keep it in your lane" doesn't really bode well with meddling with my lane. To deal the crap in my own country, one has to be kept up to date with with the US, unfortunately. Also crossing fingers that the US doesn't elect another lunatic that approves another assassination of a head of government again.

Also, what the hell do you think you know about me? I have family across the US in three different states and I've crossed the ocean.

When you actually see it, in real life, it's a different story. It's perfectly acceptable, for, say, a trans-identifying man who thinks he is a woman, to assault someone for not using his preferred pronouns, and if anyone says boo, THEY are the bad guy.

Yeah, how many times has that happened? I'm gonna put my finger on it and say less times than a school shooting, or less times that someone died because they couldn't afford healthcare, or at this point, or hell, I'm gonna bet that even less than the 32 trans people killed last year alone as victims of hate crimes.

It's completely wrong for a Good Samaritan to prevent a man who is threatening people with violence on a subway to step in and neutralize the threat without being accused of racism.

Jordan Neely? You mean a marine that was trained in de-escalation that chokeholds to death a mentally ill person for verbally insulting him? Yeah, clearly a hero, clearly a threat /s

Unless you live here, you are going off of news stories and what you never actually experienced. It is impossible for me to believe that you have the level of relativity to actually understand any of this. Likewise, I would not pretend to understand the culture or the social norms in Portugal, beyond what little I have read online. I don't think I know everything just because my Google works.

But, I appreciate your concern.

You do realize that the US is also probably the greatest exported of culture. Aside the forceful political interference I said above. Also, can you see how ridiculous it is you putting yourself above any reputable source of news for the entirety of your country, a 50 state agglomeration, lol.

Last edited by pustal,
  • Haha

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Snip-

"I feel important and I want to talk down to you even though I don't live in your country and have no clue what I am talking about. I am just parroting things I read on the news and I really want you to feel like I am special and unique and super smart about things and stuff."
I realize that I am talking to a fanatic, and there is nothing I can say that is going to convince you that you are DEFINITELY not better than me or superior to me in any way. I refuse to validate you, recognizing your bias.

I am not even going to engage you. Shoo. Off with you. Go fight with someone else. You are not worth my attention.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I realize that I am talking to a fanatic, and there is nothing I can say that is going to convince you that you are DEFINITELY not better than me or superior to me in any way. I refuse to validate you, recognizing your bias.

I am not even going to engage you. Shoo. Off with you. Go fight with someone else. You are not worth my attention.
No, you refuse to discuss, that's you whole point. You started with an ad hominem fallacy against me not to acknowledge what I said and now you're throwing a victim card somehow, absolutely ridiculous.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you refuse to discuss, that's you whole point. You started with an ad hominem fallacy against me not to acknowledge what I said and now you're throwing a victim card somehow, absolutely ridiculous.
No, I did not use ad hominem. I directly stated that since you live in Portugal, and have never been a resident of the United States (which you haven't), you cannot truly relate to American politics. You don't LIVE here. You are a spectator. You are a couch coach. It's literally the same thing as reading a book and then arguing about what the characters in it should have done.

Do you understand what I am saying? You can read about the Pacific Ocean, but if you have never touched the beach in real life, you can never actually relate.

Do. You. Understand?

Tell me what the Sistine Chapel smells like, Will Hunting.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I did not use ad hominem. I directly stated that since you live in Portugal, and have never been a resident of the United States (which you haven't), you cannot truly relate to American politics. You don't LIVE here. You are a spectator. You are a couch coach. It's literally the same thing as reading a book and then arguing about what the characters in it should have done.

Do you understand what I am saying? You can read about the Pacific Ocean, but if you have never touched the beach in real life, you can never actually relate.

Do. You. Understand?

Tell me what the Sistine Chapel smells like, Will Hunting.
Yes I understand, you are attacking me to invalidate what I say instead of my argument, that's *ad hominem* by definition. You also procede ignoring app the rest I said.

An extra note btw: you're the one who started restricting the scope of this thread to the US btw, all I said is that outside the US modern conservativism is even less popular. And believe it or not, there are users here from app around the world.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I understand, you are attacking me to invalidate what I say instead of my argument, that's *ad hominem* by definition.

An extra note btw: you're the one who started restricting the scope of this thread to the US btw, all I said is that outside the US modern conservativism is even less popular. And believe it or not, there are users here from app around the world.
No. Ad hominem is simply a personal attack. It is not an insult to state the FACT that you, NOT being an American citizen, can only relate to American culture, politics and day-to-day life through what you read on the internet and hear from other people.

Which is... say it with me... ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. Which amounts to nothing. You are a parrot, not an eagle.

An American would get that reference. Maybe you will, too, but not because you actually experienced any of this. Only because you read about it and are trying to be a couch lawyer and an armchair quarterback.

You don't see me talking about the culture in YOUR native country, because I know for a fact I have no ground to stand on. Anything I said would be just repeating shit I read online.

Which is precisely what you are doing.

Are we done, here? I think we're done.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
No. Ad hominem is simply a personal attack. It is not an insult to state the FACT that you, NOT being an American citizen, can only relate to American culture, politics and day-to-day life through what you read on the internet and hear from other people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Which is... say it with me... ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. Which amounts to nothing. You are a parrot, not an eagle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

You are literally the one putting your anecdotal evidence above statistics and reputable news sources, LOL

• Haha

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've mostly withdrawn from "politics" because all it is anymore is lefties and righties throwing shit at one another over something the other side doesn't like (usually culture war stuff). I still engage myself with major events from time to time though, and I do love watching arguments unfold in forums. I've learned to stop chiming in on the matter at hand in most cases though, and would rather just sit back and enjoy the shit show.

Anyway, what each side somehow doesn't seem to realize is that bigotry can go both ways. Anyone in denial of being biased or bigoted in some fashion is either lying about it, or is out of touch. Best to not even speak on certain matters if you can't do so without things spiraling out of control or if you can't make a point that can convince people on the other side of the argument. These days, people more often need to engage with the topic on some other medium before they're willing to understand the other side's point of view. Arguing almost never helps.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
the funny definition of today:

The term idiot is a word on Roman Latin used to describe those who set aside themselves from the politics and democracy...

You think if you don't know you history you are deemed to repeat it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y