Gaming How much of a difference will it make?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I finally convinced my mom to upgrade our internet to 6Mb. Our current connection is 1.4Mb. I want to know how noticeable the difference will be. Will there be a huge difference in browsing speed? What about download speed? For example, I'm downloading 2 Xbox 360 games right now and the COMBINED download speed for both ranges from 30 kb/s to 60 kb/s. The fastest speed I've ever gotten is 120 kb/s, but that was when my mom wasn't downloading anything and it was only one game at a time. However, my mom has gotten into "pirate mode" and has started downloading movies all the time. So yeah... how much of a difference will I see?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, direct downloads, not considering congestion or anything, should be 4.285714286 times faster.

web browsing is a little different, considering the (massive) inefficiencies of how packs are transmitted.

oh, bear in mind, that internet pipes are usually sold in kibibits, whereas download speeds are when you are downloading files are usually measured in kibibytes, which are 8 times bigger

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
6mb = 600kb download speeds theoretically you could get this speed on well shared file ..HTTP downloads you will blink and 2- 10mb files will almost be instant
smile.gif

where it comes into play best is streaming media its able to buffer the video streams faster so better playback
smile.gif

If you want to test a constant download speed try one of the FREE linux live/build disks such as knoppix or Ubuntu as it comes as a 600-700mb iso file that you can download from http/ftp/fxp and torrent/p2p servers where there's a solid connection or lots of people sharing the same file you will see it speed upto max ...

Athough if your ISP has packet shaping in use if you hammer the connection too much it will see slow down at certain times of the day in order to give people in your area a bit more bandwith to play about with if your overusing yours
smile.gif

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
there will be a huge diff... nuff said.

also you may want to keep downloading at a minimum at peak times e.g. the evening or your isp may put you on a black list and limit your speed.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
If you want to test a constant download speed try one of the FREE linux live/build disks such as knoppix or Ubuntu
Of course, I cannot recommend this method highly enough.
tongue.gif

You could also go to speedtest.net before and after the switch and measure the difference.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
Athough if your ISP has packet shaping in use if you hammer the connection too much it will see slow down at certain times of the day in order to give people in your area a bit more bandwith to play about with if your overusing yours
smile.gif

of course, encryption works well to counter this most of the time

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:

Last time it said 1400ish, but Im downloading 2 games at the moment so...

The only time to test your line speed is when you aren't using it for anything else, otherwise you will never get an accurate reading.

6mbit SHOULD be about 600k per second. But you must remember that many sites can't feed you data that fast, so it may be rare that you ever see that speed.

'ultimatex9

Trophies
XP
Country
How to know your download speed? You must divide your internet speed in 8. (i.e 1Mbps or 1000Kbps/8=125) because in 8bits has 1Byte (Mb=Megabits,MB=MegaBytes)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: if i have time for that