How much of a difference will it make?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by War, Jan 26, 2009.

Jan 26, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I finally convinced my mom to upgrade our internet to 6Mb. Our current connection is 1.4Mb. I want to know how noticeable the difference will be. Will there be a huge difference in browsing speed? What about download speed? For example, I'm downloading 2 Xbox 360 games right now and the COMBINED download speed for both ranges from 30 kb/s to 60 kb/s. The fastest speed I've ever gotten is 120 kb/s, but that was when my mom wasn't downloading anything and it was only one game at a time. However, my mom has gotten into "pirate mode" and has started downloading movies all the time. So yeah... how much of a difference will I see?

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well, direct downloads, not considering congestion or anything, should be 4.285714286 times faster.

web browsing is a little different, considering the (massive) inefficiencies of how packs are transmitted.

oh, bear in mind, that internet pipes are usually sold in kibibits, whereas download speeds are when you are downloading files are usually measured in kibibytes, which are 8 times bigger

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    6mb = 600kb download speeds theoretically you could get this speed on well shared file ..HTTP downloads you will blink and 2- 10mb files will almost be instant [​IMG]

where it comes into play best is streaming media its able to buffer the video streams faster so better playback [​IMG]

If you want to test a constant download speed try one of the FREE linux live/build disks such as knoppix or Ubuntu as it comes as a 600-700mb iso file that you can download from http/ftp/fxp and torrent/p2p servers where there's a solid connection or lots of people sharing the same file you will see it speed upto max ...

Athough if your ISP has packet shaping in use if you hammer the connection too much it will see slow down at certain times of the day in order to give people in your area a bit more bandwith to play about with if your overusing yours [​IMG]

4. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    there will be a huge diff... nuff said.

also you may want to keep downloading at a minimum at peak times e.g. the evening or your isp may put you on a black list and limit your speed.

5. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Of course, I cannot recommend this method highly enough. [​IMG]

You could also go to speedtest.net before and after the switch and measure the difference.

6. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

Last time it said 1400ish, but Im downloading 2 games at the moment so...

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    of course, encryption works well to counter this most of the time

8. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    o.o australian internet makes me fucking sick. I download at 150kb and when I run out of bandwidth I get like 10kb

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The only time to test your line speed is when you aren't using it for anything else, otherwise you will never get an accurate reading.

6mbit SHOULD be about 600k per second. But you must remember that many sites can't feed you data that fast, so it may be rare that you ever see that speed.

10. 'ultimatex9

Newcomer 'ultimatex9 Newbie

Philippines
    How to know your download speed? You must divide your internet speed in 8. (i.e 1Mbps or 1000Kbps/8=125) because in 8bits has 1Byte (Mb=Megabits,MB=MegaBytes)