Gaming How much cold ( temperature ) does the DSi stand ?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
To clarify, I live in Finland and winters are VERY cold in here. I'm wondering if I carry my DS around with me when going outside, could it break and if it could, in what temperature ?

And related to this I've always been wondering why people keep telling me that if you acquire electronics that have been outside for a while so they're cold, you should never turn them on until they've warmed up ... Why exactly is that, and does that apply for the DSi ?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about cold starting with electronic. I do CAN tell you this, very cold temperature is NO good for rechargeable battery. It won't deliver power or charge if the chemistry inside is too cold. DS uses rechargeable battery so go figure.

kingcold9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i got my ds lite it was in the mailbox for quite some time when it was about five degree's fahrenheit, didnt hurt it a bit though i have heard of batterys leaking if they get too cold

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Distrance said:
And related to this I've always been wondering why people keep telling me that if you acquire electronics that have been outside for a while so they're cold, you should never turn them on until they've warmed up?

Well I know some old computers would unseat components over time due to heating up and cooling down. Maybe in really cold temperatures it can happen in one go, or break solder points etc...

P.S. Be thankful you live somewhere where it actually gets cold. People whinge about Britain but it's too hot for me most of the time.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Read the manual.

Cold temperatures aren't too much of an issue, though it recommends probably above 0°C.

Seriously though, read the manual; it'll say in there.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that it's that big of a problem; when outside in the cold, people are typically either playing the system (in which case the internal electronics and the hands manipulating the controls are generating heat) or they have the device in a pocket close to their bodies (which generate heat). I wouldn't recommend leaving your DS unattended in sub-zero temperatures for extended periods of time, but normal use should go fine.

anime4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not like your going to let it out all the time. It's going to stay in your pocket or in your bag so it wont be that cold.

I remember using my first DS in the winter here in Canada.It did not brake.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
cwstjdenobs said:
Distrance said:
And related to this I've always been wondering why people keep telling me that if you acquire electronics that have been outside for a while so they're cold, you should never turn them on until they've warmed up?

Well I know some old computers would unseat components over time due to heating up and cooling down. Maybe in really cold temperatures it can happen in one go, or break solder points etc...

P.S. Be thankful you live somewhere where it actually gets cold. People whinge about Britain but it's too hot for me most of the time.

Pff. I actually have wanted to move and live in UK one day. I want to stay in Europe and UK's weather seems nice.. I absolutely detest winter and cold weather, and this is just .. ugh, it was like -20C today with very strong wind ..

Anyhow, I hope you people are right. I don't play with the DS outside by the way, and it's in my pocket inside a pouch for the DSi. But what I was worried about was when get back home / cafe, can I open the DS right away when it's still somewhat cold ?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well - it has been mentioned to 'RTFM', but FYI I have had a look & right @ the back of the book it states
QUOTE said:
Usable Environment: Temperature 5-35 degrees Celsius / Humidity 20-80%
but honestly - I think Rydian post is more likely the main cause of possible failures in any electronic device, so I would recommend to allow the DSi to 'climatize' first before switching it on - especially if you move from a freezing place to a warm place

Arch Feline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of people carry cell phones around in purses or packs. I guess that they are not outside for that long. You probably do not want to do what I do but in cold weather I put my DS is a pouch and tuck the pouch into the waistband of my pants by my stomach. My stomach always seems to be the warmest place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)