Gaming How many think it is SAD that the best graphics...

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The two best-looking games on the Wii thus far are likely Zelda and Resident Evil. These are both originally GameCube games that were SLIGHTLY enhanced for the Wii. I have no problem with these ports as they are great games, but don't you think that SOMETHING should have come out 6 months into a console's life that looks BETTER than last generation? What's going on here? When will we see something that is truly impressive that pushes graphics beyond what the GameCube is capable of?

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well Zelda and Resident Evil 4 were both games that been in development for several years - it takes time to make an impressive game. Most third parties have only just jumped aboard the Wii boat and are peddling out whatever rubbish they can. Nintendos big offerings: MP3, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy are all out later this year. But yeah I know what you mean... I would like to see some better looking games on the system too - the machine is certainly capable of a lot more than what's coming out at the moment.

smile.gif

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well Zelda and Resident Evil 4 were both games that been in development for several years - it takes time to make an impressive game. Most third parties have only just jumped aboard the Wii boat and are peddling out whatever rubbish they can. Nintendos big offerings: MP3, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy are all out later this year. But yeah I know what you mean... I would like to see some better looking games on the system too - the machine is certainly capable of a lot more than what's coming out at the moment.

smile.gif
Or its just a lie they keep feeding us.
unsure.gif

The big 3 games that will come out do look nice, but they don't really make much of a big difference to me in terms of graphics. Imo.

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that really wasn't their point in the port. they did make it 16:9, idk about 480p. they were only showing off the wii remote capabilities. did you ever hear them say, oh and improved graphics! there was no reason to expect it and also they did increase it a little as you said, so they gave us more than expected.

oh and it's 30 bucks. worth it? absolutely.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that really wasn't their point in the port.  they did make it 16:9, idk about 480p.  they were only showing off the wii remote capabilities.  did you ever hear them say, oh and improved graphics!  there was no reason to expect it and also they did increase it a little as you said, so they gave us more than expected.

oh and it's 30 bucks.  worth it?  absolutely.
You misunderstood what I was saying. I have no problem with Res. Evil. I think it's great they brought the port to the Wii. I'm disappointed that it is one of the best, if not the best, looking game on the Wii!

Basically, my beef is: why isn't there a game for the Wii that is better looking than a fancy GameCube port?

DBB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well, when did the GameCube came out? And what about the Wii?

How many years they had to produce Resident Evil 4 and how many they had to produce any wii only game? Making a great looking game requires a lot of artist, money and time, nintendo lately is always trying to put ideas (way cheaper than the other 3 elements) at the front of the line and that's how companies take it.

I'm not sad that the wii doesn't have great looking games, I don't think that was the purpouse of the machine. Although I'm sad that the only games that have great visuals on the gamecube can be counted on your fingertips...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, when did the GameCube came out? And what about the Wii?

How many years they had to produce Resident Evil 4 and how many they had to produce any wii only game? Making a great looking game requires a lot of artist, money and time, nintendo lately is always trying to put ideas (way cheaper than the other 3 elements) at the front of the line and that's how companies take it.

I'm not sad that the wii doesn't have great looking games, I don't think that was the purpouse of the machine. Although I'm sad that the only games that have great visuals on the gamecube can be counted on your fingertips...
Starfox Adventures was an extremely good looking game when that came out, beating quite a lot on the other consoles and that came out in the GC's first year.

Its a shame that developers don't put more effort into the Wii's games graphically. MP3, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros and Battalion Wars all look impressive to look at might not match up to the 360/PS3 but I reckon they've got a much better art direction and style going for them.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
The best graphics wont really come about until the end of the year or at some point next year. As someone already said, takes time and money and good artists to do it. But as sales are showing, wii has sold 8m units worldwide, with no sign of slowing down and its not purely because its a cheap machine. Its the fun factor, the whole remote thing that has captured everyone. And while sony was trying to out-do 360, which i think now shows its far too late to challenge the 360, the wii has come from a small opening in the market and shown that great visuals are not what make a game. Its amazing how only half a year into its life and wii has almost caught up with the worldwide sales of the 360 which was released a year before. The wii is still capable of high quality visuals, its just a step down from the 360 and ps3... but as we all know, wii was never there to compete, it will win the console war for being the different one, and leave the other two to battle it out for 2nd place. But then... we all know who will be finishing Last.... and its due to their assumptions of people will buy it because its sony.. hahaha... i never liked ps or ps2, but i do like 360 and would get one if i played games as often as i did in the SNES and N64 days, but a wii is perfect for me. New style of play and lots of fun.... Nintendo have reclaimed their crown... and deservedly so :-)

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my opinion, they need to get their act together. Even Luigi's Mansion, a GameCube launch title, looked better than anything released on the N64. I realize that they are implementing a new technology which takes time to learn (motion controls), but that is no excuse for having most Wii titles looking like GameCube launch games. If all of the games on Wii were at the level of Resident Evil, I would be somewhat okay with it considering the arguments you guys have made (new hardware, etc). The fact is, many Wii games look much WORSE than some GameCube offerings. If Starfox Adventures was released for the Wii, it would be in the top 10 for best graphics on the system. That is sad.

While graphics are not the most important thing, the fact that developpers are putting out half-assed efforts just screams that they don't care about their customers and are just doing a cash grab. Most Wii games lack the polish you see in many of todays games. And is the gameplay SO much better than XBOX360 that we can put up with crap for graphics? I would say no. In most cases, they haven't even figured out how to properly utilize the Wii remote!

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The two best-looking games on the Wii thus far are likely Zelda and Resident Evil. These are both originally GameCube games that were SLIGHTLY enhanced for the Wii. I have no problem with these ports as they are great games, but don't you think that SOMETHING should have come out 6 months into a console's life that looks BETTER than last generation? What's going on here? When will we see something that is truly impressive that pushes graphics beyond what the GameCube is capable of?

What are you kidding me
ohmy.gif
maybe you missed the part Nintendo saying that this system not being anything about graphics, but adding new kind of control to the game.
dry.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Strikers looks great. At first I wasn't too impressed by the graphics, but when I went back and played a few games of Strikers for GC, I could tell that the Wii version was much more graphics intensive.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz looked pretty damn nice to me, and Sonic wasn't too bad either
tongue.gif

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything overly-spectacular though. Remember, the Wii is pretty much a Gamecube upgrade; nothing to do with the graphics has been improved in terms of new technology, all there is is a bit of a boost in speed and some more memory.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's the same resolution so stuff wont look that different anyway, there some features which this gfx chip can handle and GameCube can not.

That will never make a mindblowing difference. Some titles which prolly been announced just before the start of retail Wii prolly look better or some of the current projects which are done by Nintendo and ready before end of 2007 ..

It is rather crazy to expect a pushed to the limit graphics game this early for the Wii (look at PS2) ...

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone who bought a Wii expecting great HD graphical resolutions really wants to learn to do some research.

The wii is all about the "wiimote experience" and nothing more. That's all there is to it.

It's about shifting the emphasis from almost photo-realistic graphics back to the GAMEPLAY. It's about fun.

If you're not having fun, sell the damn thing and get yourself a 360 - but stop crying about it
laugh.gif

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my opinion, they need to get their act together.

wah wah wah wah wah

you're what's wrong with gamers these days

Apparently, I'm also why games cost so much if you ask the right forum poster. I guess I have more power than I realized. Not only am I the sole reason games cost so much nowadays, but ALSO I am singlehandedly bringing down the gamer empire! Tell ya what, for Christmas I will make all the games go for 50% less and I will tell developers to stop wasting time with things like textures, advanced modelling, bump mapping, lighting and animations since it's all about gameplay! I'm sure they'd be able to make games that are much more fun if they didn't have to waste time with all that superficial crap! Wow, a new era of gaming is upon us!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-