Gaming How many think it is SAD that the best graphics...

Dark_Lord Malik

Proud Pakistani
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
far-cry-vengeance-20060921083020096.jpg

far-cry-vengeance-20060921083022237.jpg

far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023049.jpg

far-cry-vengeance-20060921083023893.jpg

ouch!
cry.gif
Hey is that Far Cry on Wii. i thought it was an N64 game by the look of graphics. Man i didn`t know that it had such shitty graphics.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Far Cry looks shit because Ubisoft quickly churned out a load of games, had it spent some decent amount of time on it it would've looked a lot better.

Same with all of the other games that look crap, the Wii was selling out everywhere and suddenly all the publishers jumped on the bandwagon churning out PSP/PS2 ports and all that just to make a ton of cash quickly. Nintendo are also pretty much to blame too, putting out a ton of Mario games just to fill the void (Paper Mario though I love the style of)

Have you seen Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars 2. These games have had over year on them and look much much better than what the GC and Xbox did. We'll continue to see titles that look last generation, just like we did on the previous consoles, its just publishers who just rush their developers to put out games quickly hopefully people would stop avoiding the ones that look and play bad so they have to spend more time on games but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

flashrabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I always thought the best word to describe RE4 graphics is "muddy".
Can't say I liked it visually.
It's a shame that most developers make games that look like N64/early dreamcast.
But hopefully that will change now that devs put more work(with better teams) into the forthcoming games for wii.
Next year will be interesting (unless it's all talk)

r3l4x

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
users.pandora.be
XP
Country
Belgium
This is the entire reason why I have not bought a Wii yet. It's not that I don't like the console, I simply love it but like every console it needs some time to reach it's potential. And instead of having it standing next to my tv doing nothing, I very much prefer the fact that when the more interesting games come out I'd rather buy it then.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, you can't seriously say that games look like they did on the N64... Have you forgot about the pointy edges on every object and bodies like caracters from FF7 (but a bit less.... edgy?) I thnk you shuld put your N64 back on and take another look...

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you look at those farcry screens, there are ALOT of extra polygons where there generally aren't any. Ex) Fences are generally flat. Looking from the top, it looks like a rectangle (usually), here the fences have depth because they're broken and stuff.

I want you to go back and look at Super Mario 64. For the N64. Yes, go back in your attic and plug it in. The title screen. Look at his cheeks. Friggin wierd. His head a a polygonal sphere. (sort of)

Look at Super Mario Sunshine. Look at the same areas. He has full cheeks, no bumps; even his nose is shining. His head is truly rounded.

I want to you imagine Wii Sports graphics on an N64, based on how you saw mario's face. Your Mii's head would be a collection of squares. But on Wii, it looks fully round, no bumps or anything.
*Obviously superior in polygon count over the generations.

Ok, now textures. Best N64 game ever, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As a kid, go over to the Deku Tree. See it yet? Go inside. Look at those vines you have to climb. Pretty high up, huh? Pretty crappy looking vines, huh? Texture. At the very top, those vines you can't climb between the Skulltas? Texture. Looks like crap, huh?

For gamecube and wii.. the textures are alot friggin better.
*DO NOT say the Wii is like N64. If you do, you're stupid, and should be shot.

And if you want to see better textures... Wii supports higher res textures than Gamecube. Look at Sonic's hair stuff spine things on the top in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic and the Secret Rings. There are little light blue or white lines emphasizing depth, or detail or something.

But don't expect some difference like difference between the PS2 and PS3. We are able to use the same methods to boot gamecube homebrew on wii that we used to boot gamecube homebrew on the gamecube. They are VERY similar internally, and thus so are their graphics. PS2 and PS3 are not. Thats why PS3 doesn't run PS2 backups, they're VERY different. And so are their graphic capabilities.

So pretty much: Yes, the Wii can do more than its showing probably and that may be because of lazy people. But don't expect the difference to be like the difference between light and day like PS2 and PS3. But these "lazy people" are the ones getting their games published by Nintendo; I don't see you doing anything about it! >: O I say they at least get out as much as they put in and all they want is to is succeed so they can go home happy.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Super Mario Galaxy is pretty damn good looking. What's your problem?

And Smash Brothers Brawl isn't that bad either...
These games haven't been released yet...

P.S. Nice post, imgod22222! I think you hit the nail right on the head regarding Wii's graphics. I think, however, the reason the PS3 can't play PS2 backups is because nobody has fully cracked the PS3. Once they do, PS2 backups may very well be a possibility... especially if you have a PS3 with an Emotion engine.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the games currently out aren't beautiful, but I do have faith in the games that are coming out. Umbrella Chronicles looks great for one. Metroid also looks great.

I think that we will see better looking games as time comes. You were right when you talked about developers being preocuppied with the controller. If you have a developement company that has 40 guys working on a game, it's not like that development team will grow to 60 because there are different type of control schemes. You have the same 40 guys trying to split the time between the graphics and the controls.

So the decission has to be made. On the Wii, do we put the 39 guys on graphics and 1 guy on controls? Or do we invest in learning the controls?

I think in a year or so, these games will look much better. I wonder if the balancing board will cause similar problems for devleopers?

Infinitus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you care about graphics, go out and buy a PS3.
The Wii is about the family connectivity, innovation, and good games.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you care about graphics, go out and buy a PS3.
The Wii is about the family connectivity, innovation, and good games.
Haha, I love people who come in, miss the point, and say stuff like this. Like it or not, graphics are part of the immersion-factor of video games. And whether or not you'll admit it, they add to the enjoyment of a game. Things like lighting effects, particle effects, detailed textures and realistic animations can work wonders to improve the overal video game experience.

You "gameplay martyrs" fail to grasp the concept that video games are not a dicotomy of graphics or gameplay... like one has to be sacrificed to serve the other. The truly great games have ample quantities of both. Most gamers agree that gameplay is the more important aspect but few intelligent gamers will discount the value of graphics entirely.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that the Wii should have PS3 level graphics, I'm simply noticing that many developpers are being lazy when it comes to graphics on the Wii and are barely reaching gamecube levels.

Tuddles

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have all 3 next gen systems and my wii is modded and I have about 30 Wii games, not one hold my interest for more then 20 minutes latly.

I beat paper mario it was great fun and I beat zelda, rest are pretty bad (chicken shoot)

I read so many times that the Wii can do xbox 1 graphics, I have not seen that even close yet.

As for the controls to me they are fun for games like wario ware and wii sports but for a hardcore gamer the controls are sluggish and not fun at all. Zelda TP much better on a GC control then a wii n nunchuck combo.

I rather use the classic controler over the nunchuck/wiimote combo

How many ppl will use the classic controler for smash bros over the nunchuck? I say most

Next Gen nintendo is not, but for a 20 minute fun session on a rainy day it's all good, last time I wanted to play Wii has been awhile it's getting dusty.....................................

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Six months later, people are still surprised that the worst graphics are on the Wii.
It's not such a big deal...
I don't mean to sound condescending, but you don't get what I'm saying either. So let me simply state my point:

* I'm NOT saying the Wii should have XBOX360 / PS3 - level graphics. I realize the Wii is simply less powerful and I'm OK with that.

* I AM saying that it is sad that AFTER 8 MONTHS the best looking games on the Wii are GameCube ports. That is to say that not a SINGLE Wii game has better graphics than the best of what the GameCube had to offer. I could understand if this was the case at launch as the devs are rushed and it's new hardware, but after 8 months SOMEBODY should have made a game that is better than what the GameCube could do considering the increased power of the Wii. Even worse is that most games on the Wii are graphically INFERIOR to these GameCube ports! When developpers can't even hit last-generation quality graphics there is something wrong.

There is hope on the horizon as Metroid is looking VERY nice so far and SSBB and Mario seem to be graphically improved in comparison to their GameCube iterations.

My FEAR with the Wii is that so far the trend has been to ignore the importance of good graphics. Not because the game didn't require them, just because the developpers didn't see the need when catering to the more 'casual' crowd of the Wii. The Wii community should make it clear that half-ass graphics just aren't going to cut it.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SlyGuy, I understand your point and I agree with you. That the best looking Wii games are Resident Evil 4 and Zelda doesn't speak for the developer's efforts. Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy show that the Wii can do a lot better.

killah2km

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The two best-looking games on the Wii thus far are likely Zelda64 and Resident Evil. These are both originally stupid N64 games that were SLIGHTLY enhanced for the Wii
mad.gif
. I have a big fucking problem with these mother fucking ports but they are great games I think?, but don't you think that SOMETHING should have come out 6 months into a console's life that looks BETTER than last 2 fucking generations? Where am I, Who am I? Where is my ducky!!. When will we see something that is truly impressive that pushes graphics beyond what the N64 is capable of? I am going back to playing PS1 games!
wacko.gif

wtf.gif
huh? are you alright man?
rofl2.gif

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
who cares about graphics its all about the games :-)

to this day i still play street fighter 2 hyper fighting on my PC and i love it ! :-) and it doesnt have next gen graphics

the ps3 and xbox360 have the best graphics out there but the WII systems sells more, why ?

FUN GAMES !

thats why the ps3 is failing right now UBER SYSTEM + CRAPPY GAMES = SUCKINESS

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
its a fair stretch to say that the wii has fun games at the moment. imho aside from 2 or 3 titles it has been very dissapointing. Shitty ports with gimmicy controls. Theres no doubt the wii sells because it is more fun, but third parties are yet to get it right yet. Either way, the graphics should be better then what we are seeing at the moment, it is pretty ridiculous that hardly any publisher has tried to push the wii to its limits... oh well, at least metroid curroption is supposed to look good!

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah my wii has been sitting unused since christmas.
frown.gif

Mario looks good because there's not alot of stuff going on and most the planets are spheres.

don't get me wrong i'm looking forward to SSB, Mario Galaxy and Metroid but the graphics and gameplay of most games so far has been disappointing.

graphics don't mean a whole lot but i'd still prefer if they were a little nicer than what we've been seeing so far.

I think the 360 is really awesome at the moment and has some great games coming out soon. hopefully the big 3 Wii games will be excellent but there's not a WHOLE heap of good games on the horizon.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMO the Wii is not selling so well because it has great games. The XBOX 360 actually has a better crop of released games.

The reason for the Wii's success is more likely split between it's mass-market appeal and it's low price. Through in a bonus for innovative controls and you have your answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-