Gaming How many games do you think will be able to fit on a 2TB microSD Card?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the switch Growing as fast as it is... we should expect the library to grow too... So let's go straight to the maximum storage you can add to your switch 2tb. while it will be years before we actually get a 2tb microSD card that you can buy without selling a limb. I'm just wondering how many games do you think you will be able to fit on one card before you start having to delete some? (let's say for argument's sake that Nintendo does not have a software limit)

I don't mean just your normal shovelware I mean like mainstream games or games from popular devlopers

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no point of doing tihs.... but still....
actual storage would be around 1.86TB.
assume you only play BIG titles and all of them are roughly 50GB, so it's around 40 more or less.

Reactions: pandavova

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'd say about 400-600 games, but what HaloEliteLegend said sounds accurate at this point, seeing how there aren't too many large games at this point (few even go past 35GBs).

Just wait until the next Smash Bros comes out though and 2TBs won't be anywhere near enough with all the stupid updates:P

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 200GB Micro SD in mine and I haven't even touched it yet. I have been using all the internal storage for the games :). I definitely don't think anyone needs 2TB. Even if you wanted too, 2TB Micro SD Cards haven't been made yet. When they do come out it will be a few thousand dollars initially. I like to download all my games I have no doubt that 200GB will fit all of Nintendo's games (mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Mario Odyssey, etc...). Realistically with digital games not having to be the size of the discs they used to come on, I would say you can fit around 500-1000 games on a 2TB. I am banking my 200GB to hold about 50-70 games

Last edited by TheNintendoEnthusiast,

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 200GB Micro SD in mine and I haven't even touched it yet. I have been using all the internal storage for the games :). I definitely don't think anyone needs 2TB. Even if you wanted too, 2TB Micro SD Cards haven't been made yet. When they do come out it will be a few thousand dollars initially. I like to download all my games I have no doubt that 200GB will fit all of Nintendo's games (mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Mario Odyssey, etc...). Realistically with digital games not having to be the size of the discs they used to come on, I would say you can fit around 500-1000 games on a 2TB. I am banking my 200GB to hold about 50-70 games
If Nintendo doesn't have a def Ned limit to titles on the switch like they did last gen

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its still going to be quite some time before we see 2TB Micro SD cards. Yes, the Switch will be capable of accepting such size cads when they one day theoretically exist. But we only just got to the 400GB micro SD card this last summer, and that was after 3 or 4 years since we saw the next biggest size at 256GB. At the rate the tech is evolving, we'll probably have a 1TB card in about a decade, and maybe 15 years before we see 2TB cards. Perhaps that's pushing it,but having watched the progress of size in micro SD cards for quite some time, it seems pretty realistic at this point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a 256GB card in my Switch. I have 15 digital games (not counting Breath of the Wild which is my only physical game) of varying sizes: largest being Doom and smallest probably being Golf Story, and all but 2GB of the internal storage have been used, and I have about 198GB free on the Micro SD card. At the rate I'm filling up my games (about 15 games make up about 75-80GB), I will probably be able to hold a total of about 45-60 games.

Reactions: Ra1d

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Not only have they been made, they've been in circulation in the movie industry for about a year by now (to be honest though it's SDXC, not micro SDXC, with micro ones only having come out in big industries around late October coming at about 10500$ or both your kidneys:P). As for general public, the most you can get right now is 1TB SDXC (released in September 2016 by SanDisk) and 400 Micro SDXC (came out during the same time, site linked is the most reliable seller for these too if you plan on getting one). Just keep in mind that Micro SD card limit is always at about 37-45% the capacity of the max normal SD card counterpart available with that percentage falling fast because of the state electronics have reached where making stuff any smaller would cause malfunctions.

Just to be clear, while Switch supports 2TBs, you won't ever get your hands on one:P Most that will be available to general public in the next 5 or so years is gonna be the 1TB Micro one. Finally, when a system says "supports up to X storage", that means that the developers of the system have made it try to allocate and use up to that many memory locations/addresses in advance when making the OS for it. It has NOTHING to do with whether said thing will actually come out! Take for example the 16-core versions of the Intel Xeon processor, they have been made to support up to 1.5TBs of RAM sticks, even though there's nothing even close to that anytime close release and that was like 5 years ago. It's a practice that's very common in engineering when trying to make something that doesn't get outdated easily, prolonging the time window you can make money from it. If you ever put a 1TB drive for example on Win 3.1, it will hardly see more than 20GBs of it all, so the intention is to avoid problems like that in even the relatively distant future.

Reactions: DarthDub

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Depends on the type of game you are into. Tripe AAA titels with crap optimized textures for the system can shrink that down a lot.
But optimized games like SMO / BOTW / MRKB / MK8D and indies ... well a lot really.
Besides that Micro-SD will take some time to become affordable at the TB mark. Best we have now is 400GB and that is still close to Nintendo Switch pricepoint mostly.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
It's more likely that Nintendo will release a new console before we finally get 2TB micro SD cards. Remember when we were supposed to get 2TB SD Cards in 2011? The 3DS came out and 7 years later we barely got 512GB.

Not only that, but no one needs bigger SD cards right now aside from professional photographers. It's not like 10 years ago where you needed them everywhere because you wanted an extra 32GB for your laptop without having the bulge of a pendrive constantly plugged into it, or the embarrassing internal memory of mobile phones. It's a very niche market with a demand that's way too low to meet the expected deadlines. It's very likely that we will get 2TB micro SD cards in the middle of the lifespan of the Nintendo Switch's successor.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On my Wii U I only used about 350GB for I think 100 Wii U games and 200gb for Wii and NGC games. I'm pretty sure the 2TB limit will only ever get hit by greedy pirates (or possibly EA masochists)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one